YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   87 4runner coolant leak (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/87-4runner-coolant-leak-304397/)

elijah.bunten 05-15-2018 07:33 AM

87 4runner coolant leak

ive got i 87 4runner with the 22re its got 250xxx miles and had sat for 8 years before i had gotten so there are some hidden gremlins, my latest and greatest is a pretty bad coolant leak which i think is coming from a L shaped hose directly under the power steering pump. the coolant is leaking down onto the drivers side ifs and then onto the ground. ive seen some threads with similar problems, wondered if theres any body who could give me some advice (first time yota owner have only had chevys) so im a virgin when it comes to these beautiful little four bangers, let me know, thanks

arlindsay1992 05-15-2018 07:58 AM

There's a couple ways you can have a leak there. Cool coolant flows out the bottom of the radiator through the lower radiator hose to the U shaped metal pipe behind the alternator. Early years have a steel pipe which can rust. Later years are stainless steel. I don't know what year they switched but yours is steel and might be rusted through or have a pinhole. After that it goes through the short 90 degree bend hose into the timing cover and into the water pump. The timing cover nipple is aluminum and I've seen them get pretty corroded and nasty and eaten up. That can cause a leak as well between the hose and nipple. One way or the other, you're going to have to just take it apart and see where the leak is then fix what's broken. It's fairly simple to remove the distributor and power steering pump and work at it all from up top. No need to remove the power steering pump entirely, leave the hoses on and just lay it to the side. You might be able to get to it all from underneath but that's probably not going to be much easier since you'll have to reach above/around the alternator while crap falls in your eyes.

elijah.bunten 05-16-2018 07:14 AM

right on thanks man! ordered a new power steering pump and lines because mines shot and if im gonna have it all apart ill just replace it, i also ordered a new 90 degree bend hose, my truck came from out west so its pretty rust free but i did realize that the U shaped pipe has seen better days. i can see surface rust on it so im definitely gonna take it out and look it over. Do you know if part stores usually stock that metal hose or is it something im gonna have to hunt for? i looked my leak over a little more and it looks like its coming from up high so hopefully its the 90 degree rubber hose because i can see some dry rotting on it but maybe its the little nipple on the timing cover you mentioned either way im just gonna have to tear it all apart. thanks for the help i appreciate it!

arlindsay1992 05-16-2018 08:36 AM

I doubt anyone but a dealer will sell the metal coolant pipe. Best bet is a junkyard and try to find a newer stainless pipe or see if someone on here wants to sell you a used one.