86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4Runner CB Antenna Install (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4Runner CB Antenna Install (Pics)

So I installed my antenna tonight and thought I would share my experience with a few words and lots of pictures.... I'm really happy with how it turned out because now I can easily route the coax through the cab instead of under.

Got a Firestik 4' antenna and door jamb mount (from radioproshop.com - they were awesome... give them a call... they carry all the Firestik stuff now, even though it isn't on the site).

Removed the paint in the doorjamb, drilled holes, installed self-tapping screws and painted back over with some primer.

Removed the taillight and there is a little round black sticker... remove this and put a grommet in... here is your entry point into the cab.

run the wire through like so...

light installed, tailgate open:

tailgate closed... just a enough room for the cable to sneak by the door without a scratch...

And, so my stupid self doesn't forget and break my new $60 setup...

I'm thinking of moving the mount below the taillight, which would probably get my clearance down to 7 ft... not sure though as the antenna will then smack against the body when the wind hits it?

Next is the install of my Cobra radio with some pics!

Last edited by DAS_GTI; 09-05-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks purdy nice, wat kind of cobra did you get??
Old 09-05-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do NOT mount it lower. That is possibly the worst place for an antenna.

An ideal location for an antenna is perpendicular and in the center of a flat plane of metal. (Imagine an upside down umbrella, or the antenna directly in the center of your roof)

A horizontal metal surface next to the antenna will mess up it's abilities. It works wear you have it because there is not much metal around. The fiberglass top, doesn't interfere. But lower it and you start to diminish the antenna's ability.

I had mine where you have it now and it worked well. Self tapping screws eventually pulled loose with my 4' firestik flopping around. I nut and bolted it with washers through the taillight area. I recommend doing this befor ethey pull out.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To stop the possibilty of it hiting your body get a tennis ball and put a small X slice in one end then repete 180 degrees then slide the ball down the antenna to just below the top of your fiberglass top at or above the window and it will stop the antenna from hitting it and the ball will do all the hitting and not messing up your body.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 PM

Well I got the Cobra 18WX STII hooked up to the antenna... everything works I just have to get it tuned now. I am just a little disappointed because I bought the 18WX because of the size (same size as a standard radio) hoping I could install it in the radio slot above the cd player, but the holes don't line up... either the Toyota radio mounts are not standard or the Cobra wasn't meant to be put here? Its a shame because it fits perfectly, just no way to hold it up. Right now I have it mounted to the beam under the glove box... pics when its daylight.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DAS_GTI
Well I got the Cobra 18WX STII hooked up to the antenna... everything works I just have to get it tuned now. I am just a little disappointed because I bought the 18WX because of the size (same size as a standard radio) hoping I could install it in the radio slot above the cd player, but the holes don't line up... either the Toyota radio mounts are not standard or the Cobra wasn't meant to be put here? Its a shame because it fits perfectly, just no way to hold it up. Right now I have it mounted to the beam under the glove box... pics when its daylight.
I remember someone on here with a 1st gen mounted the same CB in the radio slot with a CD player. If you get creative and mod a bracket or something, you will find a way to mount it there.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
I remember someone on here with a 1st gen mounted the same CB in the radio slot with a CD player. If you get creative and mod a bracket or something, you will find a way to mount it there.
It will fit, I had mine install that way. It took a bit if work, but you can use the factory mounting bracket. I did need to cut the upper part of the bezel that surrounds the CD player would fit. I had to cut less then 1/8 of an inch to make it work.

Here is a link that goes over this. On post 16 there is a picture of the same CB installed in a 1st gen.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f97/...runner-113125/
Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 PM

Great... thanks so much! I will give it a shot this weekend and post pics when done... what do you use to cut it and make it look nice?

Last edited by DAS_GTI; 09-07-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

A Dremel tool. One of the best tools ever...Kinda pricey but well worth it.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:50 PM

Ha ha...the best part is the "reminder" sticker.