YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   87 4runner cab? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/87-4runner-cab-195808/)

WYOHillbilly 11-02-2009 09:09 PM

87 4runner cab?

Hi Everyone, I'm new here, so be gentle.

I just picked up an 87 4runner. I would like to take the top off, remove the back seats and SEAL the cab off. Does anyone know of a company that sells something like this? If not, has anyone seen it done? I saw one on YouTube, but couldn't get ahold of the guy.

Yes, I should have just bought a truck, but this came available and thought it might provide more options down the road with the back seat.

So, basically, I would like a removable Cab shell.

Thanks in advance!

turboboost 11-02-2009 09:25 PM

Yeah, it's called a pickup truck. Toyota has made this for years.

WYOHillbilly 11-02-2009 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by turboboost (Post 51269982)
Yeah, it's called a pickup truck. Toyota has made this for years.

Gee...thanks for the help...couldn't have done it without you.

RMP8080 11-02-2009 09:28 PM

do a search, a guy from the great white north did one, he has a build posting.

WYOHillbilly 11-02-2009 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080 (Post 51269988)
do a search, a guy from the great white north did one, he has a build posting.

Thanks...any idea what the search would be? I've looked for about two weeks now and cant find what I want. Found some SOFT TOP type of things...but I want something with more structure. Back window and all.

eli-sky 11-02-2009 09:56 PM

i like where you are going with that. im sure with some time you could make one of your own. does it need to be quick and easy to remove?. almost thinking something like a tonneau cover would be put on with. not velcro but it has a plastic lip on it that tucks under an edge. the possibles are endless! that is if you want to make your own

eli-sky 11-02-2009 09:58 PM

didnt read last post. metal frame... pvc tube frame. i personally like the thought of pvc tubing as a frame

WYOHillbilly 11-02-2009 10:00 PM

Well, I found the thread from the guy up north...like the concept...DON'T like chopping up my top!

YEARS ago a friend of mine had a 72 chev blazer...he took the top off...got a cab from a pick up truck and converted it to fit his blazer. Would it come off...yes, so IF he wanted to go back to the blazer he switched tops, put the back seat in and off he went. Did he do this often...NO, but it was an option.

The guy had a body shop...so it wasn't that big of deal for him.

This is what I want to do. will I go back often...probably not, but I could go back to sell if IF I wanted to.

peow130 11-02-2009 10:05 PM

Go to a junkyard, fix a truck with a messed up front end.
Bring a wireless sawzall.
Cut the back part of the cab off, all the way down to the buttom.
Window and all.
Finish it your own way, reinforce the back, and seal it to the cab..

Junkers88 11-03-2009 06:25 AM

Keep your eyes open for another fiberglass top. Then you could cut it and fab it in and stll have your original top.

Junkers88 11-03-2009 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by peow130 (Post 51270016)
Go to a junkyard, fix a truck with a messed up front end.
Bring a wireless sawzall.
Cut the back part of the cab off, all the way down to the buttom.
Window and all.
Finish it your own way, reinforce the back, and seal it to the cab..

I like this idea better. It'd be neat as hell if you could find an extended cab and to this.