Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4Runner 4x4 back glass wont go down...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4Runner 4x4 back glass wont go down...

Hey,

266 thousand on 87 4Runner. Back glass used to go down with console switch and key. Recently it would go down occassionally but now nothing. I swapped the circuit breaker with a known good one. Even jumpered the breaker plug.

Any way to get the glass down manually to open gate so I dont have to try to get my 6'2" body over the seats to try and diagnose? Any suggestions on how to test to see if motor is bad? Perhaps a safety switch somewhere?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2015, 04:52 PM

Not sure if its the same as my 2nd gen but if the wiper isn't seated back in the off position the window won't go down, just a thought.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The relay box is behind the driver seat inside / under a cover. Pull it out and you can use two wires to hard jump it down. Probably needs a motor, so you will probably have to go back there and manually lower it.
Might be better to find a small framed person to strip the tailgate and coax it down.

The motor is DC reversable so if you take a 12vdc battery and a couple of large gauge wires w/ probes you can get the motor to lower it all the way down so you can overhaul the tailgate. Sounds about the time for the motor to fail.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by voiddweller
Not sure if its the same as my 2nd gen but if the wiper isn't seated back in the off position the window won't go down, just a thought.
Forgot that little interlock. Do try first!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:24 PM

I've got the rear panel off exposing the gate mechanism, window motor and such. How can I manually lower the glass?

I forgot the interlock too but that wasn't it. However, now the back wiper doesn't work either. It just did stop working cause I used it a week ago.Haven't used the back window for awhile.
Thought the window lock switch between the wiper and window switch might have gotten pushed on but it was off. Will try reversing motor with 12 v to get window down the get the DVM out for some elect. troubleshooting. Thanks

Last edited by 87red4runner; 05-26-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Additional question
Old 05-26-2015, 06:38 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
you'll need to pull the rear panel behind the drivers seat, and check out the relay box.

i replaced all of the relays on the circuit board, they are cheap, but then i found problems with the connection between the wiring harness plug getting too loose, where it plugged into the circuit board.

i squeezed the connectors on the harness in order to get a better connection, using a very small screwdriver, then zip-tied the plug up, so that it wouldn't get loose and slip down.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by skypilot
The relay box is behind the driver seat inside / under a cover. Pull it out and you can use two wires to hard jump it down. Probably needs a motor, so you will probably have to go back there and manually lower it.
Might be better to find a small framed person to strip the tailgate and coax it down.

The motor is DC reversable so if you take a 12vdc battery and a couple of large gauge wires w/ probes you can get the motor to lower it all the way down so you can overhaul the tailgate. Sounds about the time for the motor to fail.

good info right there !!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 PM

How can the window be manually lowered?

I will also check the relay. Thanks.

Originally Posted by osv
you'll need to pull the rear panel behind the drivers seat, and check out the relay box.

i replaced all of the relays on the circuit board, they are cheap, but then i found problems with the connection between the wiring harness plug getting too loose, where it plugged into the circuit board.

i squeezed the connectors on the harness in order to get a better connection, using a very small screwdriver, then zip-tied the plug up, so that it wouldn't get loose and slip down.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You can put a battery in the rear and run two wires to the plug on the motor and manually bring it down that way. It is a pain to do it that way but how I have done it. Once you have the cover off of the tailgate, the plug is mounted on the inside of the frame. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51723243 Post 185, just above this one has some information on it. I bypass my safety swithces with the ground wire trick, if the realy is good it will work for a temporary trick as well.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-26-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

There is really no easy way to get the hatch window down with out the motor.

The only way it can be done is by physically removing the motor from the regulator .

Even so the regulator is under tension .

If the motor is no longer working at all with it engaged in the lowering direction sometimes it is possible to assist the window going down .

Remember old glass gets brittle and breaks ( shatters) quite easy Two stitches and $ 1800.00 later I will not forget .
Old 05-27-2015, 04:42 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
If you're in a hurry, then go for manually and directly powering up the motor...

However, if you have time... yes below could cause intermittent issue.

Originally Posted by voiddweller
On first gens, as soon as wiper leaves the park of retract position, rear wiper retraction detection switch closes so pin 13 of relay is grounded.

Try removing pin 13 from the connector (schematic here), and see if problem disappears.