Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 22re power loss, 30mph max, eye burning richness, codes 21, 42, 51

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 87 22re power loss, 30mph max, eye burning richness, codes 21, 42, 51

First I've looked everywhere for help and decied to just post my own. I have a 87 4runner with a 22re. I bought it a month ago, non running and sitting since 07. I have put a new clutch, fuel pump, and starter in it. I ran okay and was flashing 21 and 51. Which is o2 and TPS which explains the no ideling.

Well anyway I was driving home cookin about 70mph and all of a sudden it started slowing down and 30mph was the max. After stopping at a stop sign it will barley pull its self. And you can smell how rich it is running because your eyes burn and you smell of exhaust afterwards. And when giving gas it sounds like its bogging. And now its flashing 21, 42, 51

I'm not to worried about the idle right now, I just need to to go!

I'm limited on money right now till I start working this new job. Any ideas are helpful

*its a jaap thing you wouldn't understand*
Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

How are you getting those codes? Should only get codes as high as #13 (14 if you have a turbo)
Old 04-06-2012, 10:14 AM

By jumping T and E1. I'm sorry I don't have the title yet. It must be an 88. My plate says AUG/87.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep.... I got an 88 ECU that I was told was an 87 for my 87 4Runner... And it was throwing up a high double digit code for Knock Sensor and 02(because that ECU was for 88, it had a different Knock and 02 Reading requirement)... Put back the 87 ECU and voila, no more codes(they were only from having disconnecting things during rebuild and not clearing them)..>>>> This is obviously not relative to your case, lol.... Just sharing it as possible confirmation that the 88+ ECU's DO, indeed, have different codes. Even in the emissions section of the Haynes, you can see the difference.(I doubt you have a CA vehicle there in NE, right? I only ask cuz the 88+ in CA, I BELIEVE, had 2 02 Sensors).

Anyway, I would go through the 4crawler cheap tricks TPS page and set that, first(The 02 is not likely to CAUSE these kind of issues...But it does relate with the TPS, etc...)... so I would guess that the TPS is way off or blown..........

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

Start there, Duddits(Steven King fan, eh? lol).... And then replace it if it's bad.... It's happened to many on here(blowing of a TPS)....and it's not 'fixable', ya know? Not likely it's out of adjustment since you had issues like you did. I might have a TPS for ya if you end up in the market for one.

TIP;

IF YOU DO get bad readings, and you DO decide to try and adjust it, first... PULL THE THROTTLE BODY, first. It's only a few bolts and removal/plugging off of a couple coolant lines.. Doing it on a bench is SO MUCH easier, as is the loosening of the rear TPS mounting/adjusting screw. If you're going to replace the TPS(if it's BAD, only).... Then I would recommend ordering the TPS Allen Bolt Kit from 4Crawler(No, I don't work for him, lol.... Just appreciate his expertise, very much!).. You could hit a specialized Tool spot and grab em yourself. You just need to get the proper length, etc. (Roger/4Crawler as a member on here has the different lengths listed on that page).... Make sure You follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. IE; Don't forget to set the Dashpot/Stop screw setting, before adjusting the TPS(If the stop screw setting isn't done first, it will give you false readings at the multi-meter when you test the TPS...Plus, if it's off, the Throttle Body Air Gate could be stuck open or closed too much).

Best wishes, KILL THAT GREMLIN! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Yes! One year for halloween and the name stuck. lol not everyone gets it!

I'm gonna try it right now. I use to have an 88 runner it ran good just never idled and I replaced my TPS. It fixed! I will let you know.

*its a jaap thing*
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM

"I duddits!" lol.... I STILL love the sequence of that flick where they are all taking "Memories" in and out of the 'Basement Storage'! lol.... It's SO TRUE! BTW, that red head dude,..... the english actor who almost always plays an American.. Love that guy, he's really come into his own in the 'Acting World', ya know? You watch "Homeland"????

Damien Lewis Rocks! lol. Great cast, PERIOD, in that flick, too, btw!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Okay tested the old tps and couldnt figure it out, so i just put a whole diff throttle body and tps on still the same. I also changed the fuel filter. I cant figure it out! i was looking over everything the other day and my oil smells like fuel. From the looks of the other fourms no one found any solutions for it.

Since I bought it=
-New Clutch
-Starter
-Plugs, Wires
-Belts
-Fuel Pump
Then it started running like I posted above
-Used Throttle Body
-Fuel Filter

I checked eveything Ive read about!!!

And now I was trying to get the title and did a search and found out it has a lein on the title!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:57 PM

Oh boy! Lien, eh? SUX!

Sorry for the gremlins, man....

Fuel in the oil is not only a mystery at times,.....it's DOWN RIGHT DANGEROUS to the motor.... It thins out the oil too much. So, if there IS fuel present in the oil... gotta figure that out asap.

You've checked to see if the CSI is running on and on?

You've had the injectors serviced/checked out?

If either the spark is bad(I know, new wires, but they can still be bad right out the box... New plugs can do the same, ...but also, even if those are good>>>) If timing is way off for some reason at times, either of those can cause lots of unburned fuel.

Wish I could have you just drop on by and fish for some answers with ya... Sorry bud
Old 04-15-2012, 04:10 PM

Its okay! Thanks alot for all your help! Im gonna screw with it a lil more but no more money untill I see if I can get the title or not!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:26 PM

I don't blame ya!

I'd be checking fuel pressure, injector function(including CSI) and 'FIRE'.... If you've got intermittent fire or fire that's off time.... fuel will build up and not get burned then make it into the crank case... Either too much fuel is getting in there or it's not getting burned, right? Remember, while the PCV and EGR are meant to recirculate stuff,.... if either are screwed up they can cause issues as well, because, well, simply put: That's what they do, and if they're not doing it.... then you got'z gas! lol.