86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 Toyota 22REC firing on 3 cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Toyota 22REC firing on 3 cylinders?

My pickup seems to be only firing on three cylinders. I removed the plug wires one at a time while the engine was running. When I got to Number 3 cylinder, there was no noticeable change. I had replaced the head and assumed that when the shop put in the valves, etc. that they were adjusted to factory specs.(my mistake). After adjusting the valves, the truck ran great for a while with much more power than before. But a few days later, it was back to sounding like it was just firing on 3 cylinders.

I have replaced the air flow meter, thermo sensor, and re-adjusted the throttle position sensor all because of Check Engine Codes. I also replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor button. I have re-checked the timing and have checked compression in each cylinder. I didn’t record exact compression readings on each cylinder, but they were all at 180 psi or above as best I could tell.

Could my problem be a sticky valve? Or, is there something else obvious that I am not seeing?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it could be a sticky valve
Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
also could check the electrical connection to the injector they are old and im sure are cracked. I have found mine have fallen off a few times. hope it is that simple
Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 PM

Thanks to both of you. I'm new to this forum stuff, but it is easy to see this is a group of good folks willing to help a novice wrench turner. I'm not sure how to fix a sticky valve. Can you clean them with mineral spirits or add some kind of oil treatment that will help? Also, I read in another post about unplugging the connector to the injector to see if it made a difference in how the engine ran. Would this help to narrow things down if it was a bad connector to the injector?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
also could check the electrical connection to the injector they are old and im sure are cracked. I have found mine have fallen off a few times. hope it is that simple
Good call yea it could be not completely connected or a grounding out from a crack in one of the wires.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 PM

Olharleyman & Dark Fairytales, you guys are great. Yes, I know it's 2:05AM in Reform, Alabama. But I went outside and checked the injector connectors on the Yota and one was a little loose. I secured it and went for a test drive. Unbelievable how much better she runs with fuel going to all 4 cylinders! I got her up to about 80 mph, which I think is a record for her even before the blown head. If either of you ever come through Reform, Alabama, the drinks are on me! I'll even throw in a bass fishing or deer hunting trip if you are so inclined. Thanks!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 AM

ya i had just had the same problem with my 86 22RE but it wasnt fireing on cylinders 1 and 3 after changing the head and timing chain. what i found was that one of the electrical wires going into each of these plugs had came out when i connected the plug to the injectors. once i found the and fixed the wire the motor ran great with no misses.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wabtfin
Olharleyman & Dark Fairytales, you guys are great. Yes, I know it's 2:05AM in Reform, Alabama. But I went outside and checked the injector connectors on the Yota and one was a little loose. I secured it and went for a test drive. Unbelievable how much better she runs with fuel going to all 4 cylinders! I got her up to about 80 miles per hour, which I think is a record for her even before the blown head. If either of you ever come through Reform, Alabama, the drinks are on me! I'll even throw in a bass fishing or deer hunting trip if you are so inclined. Thanks!!!
ill keep that in mind but im just glad it all worked out. We all need help some time.