Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 TOY XTRA 4X4 SR5 Soon To Arrive - Photos / Extra Enhancement Ideas?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 TOY XTRA 4X4 SR5 Soon To Arrive - Photos / Extra Enhancement Ideas?

So the truck is in the yard waiting to be picked up and with an estimated date of delivery of May 1 to my location.

It's time to burn just a few dollars, wisely mind you for it's arrival.

First thing is clean the interior or replace the carpet all together.

I would like to tweak some things, need some ideas, below are some pics of what I'm working with, I'm thinking the stock mirrors need to go, maybe some side chrome or flat rails< I have a set on my 88, maybe that's the way to go, trying to stay close to factory and clean. The non factory stereo I guess I will keep, but other than that, I'm thinking an ipad navigation conversion system j/k, that will be my next truck

But I would like to merge some old with new and dress things up a little.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow clean truck!!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
wow clean truck!!
yeah the skeptic in me, wonders whats the catch. But we are going for the positive approach, so any ideas to tweak things?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
As clean as it is let it be!!!!! Clean it up and make it yours, find your black topper you were thinking of and drive it. How much tweaking are you talking here??
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 AM

I think it's a sweet looking truck as it sits now. My thought would be K&N filter and get rid of the rectangle lights off the front bumper that look a little out dated, just for starters. Also with it already looking so clean painting the axle and frame rails with some black rattle can would make it look even cleaner. Then SAS that thing.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow, very nice truck, even has the original 80's Cali plates still. Personally I wouldn't screw that thing up and do stuff to it besides restoring it back to an even cleaner original condition.

From what I see, replace the "22RE" engine sticker, clay bar/wax job to maintain the original paint, have the interior cleaned and get some nice seat covers to preserve the original material, and maybe a new shifter boot if it's cracked and torn. And start looking around for some original door panels that haven't been tampered with (holes cut out to put speakers in).

You're very lucky, I've seen one similar to that around my area but grey in color, unreal how the guy kept it up all these years. The only aftermarket thing that guy did was have the bed done with rhino liner or line-x.

Edit: I notice it has a bed liner in it. If it's original, you'll want to take a peak underneath and catch any rusting now. I had one of those on mine.

Last edited by Grego92; 04-22-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
As clean as it is let it be!!!!! Clean it up and make it yours, find your black topper you were thinking of and drive it. How much tweaking are you talking here??
yeah I would like to stay close to stock, a black or white topped will be first, the dog needs a home as well. In regards to tweaks, just thinking little things for now. Kinda start the process, did this with my Celi as well.

1. Clean rug or replace.
2. Clean seats / maybe just nice covers or find SR5 ones.
3. New Stock Rims. Found a OEM set for $400 shipped
4. Side Rails.
5. Chrome Window Rain Guards.
6. Protect The Underside
7. Chrome Side Mirrors or Black

Open to all Tweaks, post them if you have them, not going to do the SAS thing< I'm not going to be climbing rocks, fun to watch, but not my truck lol....
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Toy-thrasher
I think it's a sweet looking truck as it sits now. My thought would be K&N filter and get rid of the rectangle lights off the front bumper that look a little out dated, just for starters. Also with it already looking so clean painting the axle and frame rails with some black rattle can would make it look even cleaner. Then SAS that thing.
yeah I agree, not sure what to do with the lights yet, they kinda look like specs of the old time glasses, have to look and see how they are mounted, maybe just change the color, idk yet. No SAS here, too much work and I'm not climbing rocks with this one.

Last edited by ingenuitor; 04-22-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Grego92
Wow, very nice truck, even has the original 80's Cali plates still. Personally I wouldn't screw that thing up and do stuff to it besides restoring it back to an even cleaner original condition.

From what I see, replace the "22RE" engine sticker, clay bar/wax job to maintain the original paint, have the interior cleaned and get some nice seat covers to preserve the original material, and maybe a new shifter boot if it's cracked and torn. And start looking around for some original door panels that haven't been tampered with (holes cut out to put speakers in).

You're very lucky, I've seen one similar to that around my area but grey in color, unreal how the guy kept it up all these years. The only aftermarket thing that guy did was have the bed done with rhino liner or line-x.

Edit: I notice it has a bed liner in it. If it's original, you'll want to take a peak underneath and catch any rusting now. I had one of those on mine.
Yeah I may have lucked out, it's looks nice, I could be hard pressed to find one like this around here.

Stickers on order $3 each dealer still stocks them, was surprised about that one.
Carpet shampooer on standby, that will be her job.
TR3 wax being sent with the truck, was used for years, he swears by that stuff.

With the seats, I have no idea, is there is a different in feel / function from these and the TRD ones? Was thinking of going heated adjustable leather, kinda not OEM then, but nice and comfy

A shifter boot, that's a great idea, need to go dig that up. I wonder how I will find clean door panels? They don't make them anymore, do they?

I wonder what the heck kind of stereo is this this thing, the guy stated he put $1900 into the stereo, paid way to much from what I know, some remote Kenwood receiver, ipod connection, with crossovers, two amps, subs, mids and tweeters, plus blah blah blah. So yeah that could be a mess to cleanup, if it's done well then idk keep it, clean up the wiring, if not then rip it out and clean up the wiring mess, go simple / clean, post the old one on eBay.

I used to install stereos for a living way way back, so from what I see on the photos, I'm not impressed, looks like a messy install, you never ever want to see any wires, If you can help it, that why they make carpet. But that's me, kinda OCD.

The bed liner was done at the dealer from new, but you are right, I do want to peak under the liner before I put on the cap and see if the bed has any rust, so hard to believe the word RUST FREE.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
List sounds good except the chrome window guards, go with some weather techs if they make them, they fit in the track no crappy tape ons. That's just my opinion
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
List sounds good except the chrome window guards, go with some weather techs if they make them, they fit in the track no crappy tape ons. That's just my opinion
I have some nice ones that fit into the top on the window track of my 88 with spring clips and are really clean, solid, so I may use them if they fit this year. It would be hard to find solid ones like these days I think. Stamped
m Made by a company Vent Shade GA USA back in 88. Never use tape on this truck, yuck,

Oh adding to list, may have to start a new thread fro this one an Air horn / Train Horn or maybe I just need to grow up lol