Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 P/U engine overhaul.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 P/U engine overhaul.

Hello, I am looking for suggestions in the way of parts from reputable vendors and quality.
I have a 86 Pickup with the 22r 2.4L carb motor. I am located in the PNW. I do plan to have this be my daily driver and grocery grabber. I wouldn't say im looking for a close to factory spec build but not a plain Jane either!!

I do have ideas of how I would like it, tho im a bit new to tearing down automobile motors and searching for rebuild kits, parts, lowering kits, etc. But I will take this one step at at time.

my yota that was just recently purchased threw a rod and created a hole or two on the block. I have a co-worker that willingly gave me his extra 87 22re parts bucket. The important part of this bucket was the Block!! Now these parts are a match set if im not mistaken? my crank that I have not fully torn motor down to inspect actual condition. Though truly I don't mind re-using OE crank I am not opposed to purchasing an aftermarket set crank and rods if they are quality parts!

My buddies block is a bit rusted so I will have to most likely bore cylinders to clean of rust. Then leaves me with needing to match crank with block and end caps?

I know im a bit everywhere on this thread but that's kind of where I stand. Attempted to do research on these posts but then got overwhelmed after sucking at navigating through the forums. I am new to the toyota family and am looking for guidance through the tougher areas.

I in no way shape or form am a master mechanic but know how to follow instructions and share the knowledge of turning a wrench.

Do have a list of To Do's on the yota once past motor rebuild!

86 P/U engine overhaul.-20171007_204616.jpg86 P/U engine overhaul.-20171007_204650.jpg86 P/U engine overhaul.-20171007_204701.jpg

Last edited by Steven Martin; 10-09-2017 at 07:12 PM.