Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 4runner running rich

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually have given up on it. I am not going to spend any more money on it. I am just going pull it out and try to put a 7m-ge in there because I kinda got deal on one.

I really have NO idea, what could be causing the gas in the oil. I even took the 4runner to he most referred toyota man here in town, and he didn't/couldn't fix it. He did however find a corroded connection on the temp sensor (the one by the injectors between the intake and the valve cover.) He said that was making it run a little rich. You might want to check that too.

I am thinking right now that I will sell it as is or end up parting it out.

Good luck, If I can help in any way let me know.

Last edited by rynamite99; 01-24-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:18 PM

That's a bummer to hear about yours. Plus, I was hoping for that magic insight/answer!
I've come across a few threads addressing this issue, but none seem to end with a diagnosis or success.
Anyway, Rynamite99 I appreciate your answering me! Thanks a bunch.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The sensor is a one-wire job, right? So it grounds through the exhaust pipe, which is crazy. Corrosion will cause low voltage, and since we're only talking half a volt to begin with, the difference is significant. Below .5 volt is a lean signal, which would cause the computer to run the motor too rich. You might try pinching a ground wire under the sensor and run it to a good chassis ground.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rynamite99
that was my point. I am worried that the gas is getting in the oil and raising the level diluting it, lowering it's viscosity, thus killing my motor. I changed the oil today, to verify I didn't put too much oil in, and to get the gas out.

the cold start injector operates (i can hear it click) until the motor reaches operating temp. checked the voltage and 0.0.

I certainly appreciate any and all comments or ideas...
I really should pay more attention to things but work doesn't always let me and sometimes I just forget....

Anyhow, the cold start injector should only operate when you are cranking the engine. Once it starts, and you release the key, power to the CSI should be cut. If that injector still has power after you start the truck, something is definitely wrong- probably power being sent to the injector time switch after you release the key when the engine starts. For the record, the CSI is not an injector in the normal sense, one that gets switched on and off to send pulses of fuel: it's more of a solenoid that squirts fuel continuously until power is cut, and it's sole purpose is to richen the fuel mixture during cranking until the engine starts after which the ECU can take control of the other fuel injectors and enrich the mixture through them, hence why it shouldn't spray fuel after the engine starts.

Now, I read that you're abandoning this endeavor so I'm sad thinking we'll never know what was the cause.

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-25-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by sb5walker
The sensor is a one-wire job, right? So it grounds through the exhaust pipe, which is crazy. Corrosion will cause low voltage, and since we're only talking half a volt to begin with, the difference is significant. Below .5 volt is a lean signal, which would cause the computer to run the motor too rich. You might try pinching a ground wire under the sensor and run it to a good chassis ground.

Thats a good idea. I will try it asap.

"Anyhow, the cold start injector should only operate when you are cranking the engine. Once it starts, and you release the key, power to the CSI should be cut. If that injector still has power after you start the truck, something is definitely wrong- probably power being sent to the injector time switch after you release the key when the engine starts. For the record, the CSI is not an injector in the normal sense, one that gets switched on and off to send pulses of fuel: it's more of a solenoid that squirts fuel continuously until power is cut, and it's sole purpose is to richen the fuel mixture during cranking until the engine starts after which the ECU can take control of the other fuel injectors and enrich the mixture through them, hence why it shouldn't spray fuel after the engine starts."
That just shows my ignorance. I thought it was a typical style injector. I thought I heard it "clicking"

I am not ASE certified to say the least.

I have a few weeks till the new motor gets here, so I am willing to try things that won't cost.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM

I took the intake off of my 4runner today and this is what I found, any ideas what the "wet" tunnels indicate?
Attached Thumbnails 86 4runner running rich-100_1358.jpg   86 4runner running rich-100_1360.jpg  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Could be leaking injectors, a couple of mine were like that as the shop that tested them confirmed:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...html#Injectors
Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 PM

I replaced the fuel injectors and it didn't solve the problem.

I now have a much more powerful and smoother running supra 7m in there.