86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 22r 4speed, suttering like its flooded out

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 22r 4speed, suttering like its flooded out

I'll be going down the road and its like i'm either getting to much fuel on not enough. I'll lose power and it will want to die now if i pump it a little and then let it go back down to idle and then rev it a little bit most of the time its fine for a few more minutes.. i just got the truck and it just started, i drove the out of it on 3 test drives before i bought it. i let it work all the way up on the test drives so idk. Yesterday it was doing it really bad, i pulled the plugs (which needed replaced so i did last night) and cleaned them and cranked it over without them in it incase it was flooded so it would clear the cylinders. It running allright today so far. yesterday it left me stranded in the rain. I also found a new accelorator pump diaphram in the glovebox so could that be causing it? if anyone has any ideas let me know. I'm going to start with new wires becasue two are pretty focked up, but they still transfer the spark as needed. I'll post anything else i can think of. thanx.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like it may be time for a rebuild. I'd guess the fuel bowl is either emptying or flooding gradually as you drive.

http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/
Old 08-09-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by stock87
Sounds like it may be time for a rebuild. I'd guess the fuel bowl is either emptying or flooding gradually as you drive.

http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/
ding ding, that was a winner. before i even read this i checked it out more today and noticed that the fuel bowl was empty with the exception of a very small ammount. I went ahead and replaced the accelorator pump diaphram since i had it. the old one looked kinda iffy when i pulled it. Ok now my question is how in the hell do i refill the fuel bowl so i can get a little more life outta it before i can rebuild. I'm very new to carbs... i was a f.i. person for a while lol...
Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, refilling the fuel bowl is the fuel pump's job

Sounds like you might have a flow problem. When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? If it's still in the factory location, it's under the edge of the bed ahead of the rear wheel under the filler neck kind of. On the frame.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:09 AM

::UPdate, put a new filter on (its a pita to get my hand up in there to get the damn hoses off btw). the fuel bowl filled up and i've been driving it since. i did it about 3 hours ago, seems fine allthough the carb probably does need rebuilt for good measure which will happen eventually anyway. But thanx stock87 great acvice and help.::

Well, since the truck sat for about a year before i bought it, its a good posibility that crap settled in the tank got stirred up and clogged the filter. I'll get a new filter today and see what happens. yea the thuing will start, run just fine but the bowl only has a very small ammount in it, barely enough to notice when really looking at it, i can drive it in first at about 20 but if i hit second it gets a temper and starts to stutter and putter on me. The fuel pump looks farely new, can't be to old and the hardly ever go out anyway so i'm not to worried about that.

Also, i pulled the hose from the fuel pump to the carb and there wasn't any gas in the line, idk if thats normal or what. i barely moved the line while it was running and it died so idk. Major flow problem like you said?

Last edited by zoideraserb; 08-10-2007 at 11:16 AM.