YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   4Runner Top off Questions!!?? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/4runner-top-off-questions-137268/)

JohnnyRanger54 02-11-2008 03:39 PM

4Runner Top off Questions!!??

To those of you that have removed the top and later put it back on have you had any leak issues, weather stripping issues?? Blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda.... Ive dyin to take the top off but have heard horror stories of never again getting a good seal...

fillsrunner4 02-11-2008 03:41 PM

Just do it

JohnnyRanger54 02-11-2008 03:46 PM

thats kinda where im at but F, youre in WA so you know how OR is.. last thing i want is to get pissed on by the lovely Great NW weather...

fillsrunner4 02-11-2008 03:51 PM

I havent really ever heard the problems being really bad. I dont think it would be a pissing on but more like some drips you may notice overnight. Ide say do it or maybe just wait till the weather is better during the summer. I dont think it will be that bad.

And yeah I know about the weather haha :hillbill:

RustBucket 02-11-2008 03:54 PM

Never had a problem with a seal. I have had mine off and on like a hundred times. Just set it up on some 2x4's or something, better not to let the gasket part touch rough concrete or dirt.

JohnnyRanger54 02-11-2008 04:08 PM

Looks like its coming off soon in that case then.. thanks guys..

4bows 02-11-2008 04:12 PM

You have to run without the top...you have a 1st gen for goodness sake!

No probs with leaking on my rig. Some advice though...if it has been awhile since the top has been removed get a buddy to help and take things S-L-O-W-L-Y.

The weatherstripping may be a little "stuck" from the heat/dirt/treesap seal. The first time I tackled this I stood in the cargo area, braced my back against the roof and slowly lifted the topper while my son moved around the vehicle to make sure we didn't damage/rip the weather stripping. Use some balled up rags or towels as spacers...lift the rear a few inches and wedge the towel in...move your feet forward towards the cab, lift the top a little more and sneak in another balled up towel. Disconnect the washer fluid and wiper connection and set off the topper. As mentioned already...be mindful of how you store the topper so you don't damage the seal.

Just one day running without the top and you will dream of being the first guy to find a CanBack on Craigslist for $100!

eightnine 02-11-2008 04:14 PM

I never heard of this problem before but im sure it will happen eventually. I've taken my off many times too and never had a problem with a leak EVER.

JohnnyRanger54 02-11-2008 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 4bows (Post 50748731)
You have to run without the top...you have a 1st gen for goodness sake!

No probs with leaking on my rig. Some advice though...if it has been awhile since the top has been removed get a buddy to help and take things S-L-O-W-L-Y.

The weatherstripping may be a little "stuck" from the heat/dirt/treesap seal. The first time I tackled this I stood in the cargo area, braced my back against the roof and slowly lifted the topper while my son moved around the vehicle to make sure we didn't damage/rip the weather stripping. Use some balled up rags or towels as spacers...lift the rear a few inches and wedge the towel in...move your feet forward towards the cab, lift the top a little more and sneak in another balled up towel. Disconnect the washer fluid and wiper connection and set off the topper. As mentioned already...be mindful of how you store the topper so you don't damage the seal.

Just one day running without the top and you will dream of being the first guy to find a CanBack on Craigslist for $100!

AWESOME advice, I will do exactly this... cant wait to take it off now, Ill feel like the coolest mofo ever!!

eightnine 02-11-2008 04:25 PM

nothing beats a topless 4runner!

cdphillips60 02-11-2008 05:01 PM

Mine leaked once but it was because I was too lazy to properly route my XM antenna lead.. Not a problem now though.

Just do it!

toylocost 02-11-2008 05:28 PM

Well mine had NEVER been off in its life (until yesterday) and it already had leaked, you can see the vertical water lines. Now my black truck it looks like somebody took the top off and drove under a waterfall. lol

4Rocker 02-11-2008 06:06 PM

I havent really heard of many people having problems with leaking. I have had the top on and off of my 84 for the past few years regularly, and have not had a single leaking issue. Keep in mind these are Toyotas, not domestics.

Toy-SkiTzo 02-11-2008 06:09 PM

i wouldnt worry about it. when i take mine off i have to drag it all over the place and it still dont leak :laugh:

eightnine 02-11-2008 06:12 PM

I've also heard that u cant buy the weatherstrip on the bottom of them anymore so that can be a PITA too if they fail. Just keep a look out for junk tops that have good weatherstrip left on them just in case.

4runnerx3 02-11-2008 06:53 PM

Mine has never leaked. Just follow the bolt on directions/sequence in the owners manual.

nmtoy 02-11-2008 06:59 PM

No leaks on mine. Go for it, topless is awesome!

Robb

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...oy/33X10-3.jpg

misterzee 02-11-2008 07:10 PM

there IS a tightening sequence in the FSM for the first few bolts, to make sure that the cover is pulled up tight to the cab. We have removed our tops plenty of times, leaks are not a problem.

Djlarroc 02-11-2008 08:52 PM

Do it man!! It is one of the best reasons for having a 1st gen! I took the top off a few months after I bought it. I live in Denver Co. Lots of snow!! Lots of water!! I have not had ANY leak problems. Deeeeeeeewwww it!
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ly4pics008.jpg

AxleIke 02-11-2008 09:10 PM

I know many, many people who've done this with no issues upon reinstall.

I'll never take the top off mine, ever. But I've seen it done with great success.