Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4runner sounds like a tank. WTF IS GOING ON!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4runner sounds like a tank. WTF IS GOING ON!!!

You have got to be kidding me.

Went and started up my 4runner this morning to let it warm up. Idled fine. Came inside to put a coat on and stuff and went back out and it is idling like a freakin tank. It runs fine but is just unbelievablly loud. Sounds like a crazy loud tapping sound from inside. Seems to be coming from under the intake, if that makes any difference.

What happened?

I'm honestly thinking about making use of my full coverage
Old 02-21-2007, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well my 4runner sounds like a diesel all the time, but more in the morning. i know my timing belt bearing is going bad. that tends to make alot of noise on the 3.0, but gets quieter as it warms up.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 AM

You must have a 1st gen. Runner!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Well, was driving to my mechanic and it shut off. Just idled down and died. It won't fire back up. The engine turns over fine. There is no smoke. Nothing is leaking. What can it be and what can I try.

Right now, all I me and my brother can think of
-Vacuum issue of some sort
-Something in the heads was done wrong. Like in the valves or something.
-There is some crazy internal leak.
-The god of Toyota hates me and wants me to pay for the hatefull things I said when my headgasket blew.

What can I try, do, test.

Ooo and I have called my mechanic. It is going back to his shop as soon as I can get ahold of a trailer. I haven't discussed this with him, but HE WILL FIX THIS. The problem is definetly in the top end of the motor and HE had his hand in it for over 4 months. He is responsible for it, is he not?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Have you tried checking your oil to see if theres coolant in it? Could've blown the HG and bent a rod.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:51 AM

Sounds like head gasket went.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Coolant and oil are fine.

Headgasket was JUST replaced.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:31 AM

I have had the gasket go between cylinders. This will not leak any fluid where is shouldn't be. Are we talking about a 22re or a 3slow?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang Kyle that is awful news. I didn't realize you had the truck back on the road yet. Sounds to me like a head or head gasket problem though. If the mechanic is worth his salt he will tear it back down and fix it RIGHT AWAY. Comebacks always should get priority treatment, especially after a big job like this. I am not sure about NC but you should have options if he doesn't make it good. The only problem is you would probably have to get it done again somewhere else, than sue and hope the jury or judge is on your side. They usually are. I have been sued twice for work but both times it was ridiculous and once was work we didn't even do. I won both times but I have been an expert witness at trials where the mechanic lost. I don't know another mechanic around here that has ever beat a suit, even when they were in the good and hadn't done anything wrong. Just be courteous and polite when you first explain the situation to the mechanic. If you are calm he won't get all defensive and it will help the entire situation get resolved quicker and smoother.

Last edited by rezrunner92; 02-21-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:00 AM

ignition problem? just suggesting it, thats what it sounds like to me.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:11 AM

And you just got this thing back! I would go kick the mechanic in his midway if I were you. GL man. I have no clue what to tell you. Thats just odd.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, just got it back, have had it for just about a week and now this. Dang on.

I've called up my mechanic and talked to him about it. He is a real pleasant guy so he will probably take care of me.

The noise it was making was real weird. It was a clear tapping noise. What I am thinking is that it is something inside of the heads themselves. The guy at the machine shop took the heads apart and the valves and reshimmed them and whatnot so I think it is something like that. The noise was definetly coming from the top of the motor, right under the intake, and definetly sounded like a constant ticking sound.

You should see my knuckles now. When it first cut off, I lost it. I started beating the ?…?…?…?… outta the dash. Every one of my knuckles on my right hand is busted open. I've been patient and calm for 5 months, everyone has their breaking point.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the Toyota elves swapped in an Abrahms engine? Have you noticed more torque?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:00 PM

3.0 ???

Check your cross over pipe. My did the same...almost instontaneously....the bolts just needed to the tightend. All is good....

Like othershave said...could be the HG....
Old 02-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Regardless, its gone. I'm not spending any more money on this piece of junk.

My mechanic is fixing it the way it should of been done and then it will be sold.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:00 PM

could have been your timing belt coming loose and slappin the timining covers, then when the timing belt jumped your engine died....let us know what your mechanic finds
Old 02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

I'll let everyone know what happens when it is all said and done.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

I'm really hoping it is just something simple. The way it sounded was a very definete ticking. I'm interested to see what happened myself.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, well here is the update. It's not fixed. My mechanic is stumped, and I think he just doesnt give a damn. Friday night I am going to pick it up from his shop and just gotta decide what to do from there. As ill be graduating soon, I need my 4runner back! I can either take it to another shop and spend more money, or just try to fix it myself. I would much rather try to fix it myself, so I think that is the route I'm going to try and go with. I just don't have anymore money to blow on this piece.

So, in a quick overview of what happened. It was running fine that night. The next morning started idling real loud and had a slight tick. Within a matter of minutes, the tick became louder and louder and started missing and then finally cut off. It won't fire up at all but will turn over.
-The headgasket is not blown
-Timing is dead on
-Valves and Cams appear fine
-All vacuum hoses are correctly placed and secure
-Everything is bolted down tight and secure

So what do I check? What could it be? I've been talking to Keith and he thinks that it could be an injector or two. He said he was having a tick and slight miss in his 4runner and it turned out being a bad injector. That is one possibility and I guess ill go ahead and pull off the intake to check for loose wires and then pull the injectors and send them off. Another option I guess could be ignition like someone up here said before. How do I check for problems in that and where do I start? Does anyone else have an opinion? My patience is at an end. I've spent over 2 grand getting my 4runner WORKED ON and still do not have a running vehicle.

If anyone in NC feels like checking out my 4runner, and ends up fixing it...you will be rewarded greatly!
Old 06-23-2007, 10:18 PM

I have a similar problem with a 94 4runer I just bought...sounds like a wrench banging on a coffee can in the top of the head.....I bought a complete 3.slow for parts and started tearing mine down tonight...I suspect a loose valve seat but when I tear the head off tomorrow I will let you know....
Pulled the cam on Drivers side and pushed down on #4 intake and let up and I can hear a clacking sound which I suspect is the problem..Like I said I suspect when I get her off tomorrow night I will find a valve seat trashed and loose..
Might be an idea to look at for ya....

Quick Reply: 4runner sounds like a tank. WTF IS GOING ON!!!