Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze Top End rebuild...W/pics...slowly

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get any flow numbers by chance?
Mine should be done in about another week and I will have flow bench numbers from stock heads, my waste of money DOA stuff and also my newley rebuilt and ported heads from these guys.
www.performancecylinderheads.com

I actually saw the numbers yesterday between my DOA junk and stock. Lets just say that after seeing the DOA numbers the only thing that comes to mind is a phrase from an old friend of mine.
"Some lessons In life just cost more than others"

I will post all the numbers when I get the heads back. The shop is local to me also.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:50 AM

Sorry no flow numbers. I'd be curious though to see yours if you could post'em. I'm going to the garage to begin now...

Everyone wish me luck. There's a lot of parts off.

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-03-2005, 02:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good Luck!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Luck.... luck is not a factor here......this is the moment that you and your toy have been waiting thier whole life for........

your right that just sounds lame......

GOOD LUCK and lets us know....
Old 03-05-2005, 11:03 AM

Help Please!!!

OK i'm probally an idiot but oh well. Ok the book says to install a new oil seal onto each head at the camshaft. This means here...
Name:  sideofhead-oilseal.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  44.6 KB

Ok now for the dumb part...I have these two items in the gasket kit but which one do I use? I believe it's the "brown" one (on the left in the picture) but wanted to make sure first. If I'm right, what is the other one for? It's green with a silver band around it and I can see the green material is coiled up inside of it.

Name:  whichone.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  46.7 KB

3rd question: Oil pan...Just use the RTV sealant for the gasket or actually use a cork gasket that was included in the set? Different books and people have each said different. What does Yotatech users use...RTV or Cork gasket?

4th and final question...Qil pump says to grease up the gear with petroleum behind the back plate. Can I use "Vasoline" or will this have adverse effects?

Thank you all ahead of time. Their is no way I'll have her running before I leave tomorrow for Idaho so wish me luck. I just got called into work this evening so that even cuts my time back more.

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-05-2005, 11:46 AM

Morphine,

The brown ones are the oil seals, the green/silver coils are the gaskets for the x-over pipe/exhaust man. junction. I have always used cork pan gaskets but have never replaced one on a yota just GM'S and Ford's. As far as oil pumps go I have used engine assembly lube with no problems but I seem to remember hearing guys using petroleum jelly.

Go get em I will start my assembly next weekend hopefully.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like you are making great progress! A lot of upgrades in the mix. Keep the pictures cumin.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:22 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys.

lepomis68 - what all are you doing to your engine? Are you in SoCal? Mabe I could assist (ok second set of hands since I'm asking all the questions).

Bike4miles - You hit it on the head, "lots of upgrades in the mix". This is whats making this more difficult than it should be. Not everything that came off the truck is going back on.

Big under taking for my "FIRST" mechanical attempt.

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-05-2005, 01:29 PM

Morphine,

I'm in southern Kansas thanks for the offer, tho! I am just re-doing the heads and looking at dumping the OEM exaust manifold/x-over and going with a Downey like you.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:32 PM

Do you pick up?

Hey if you pick me up I'll help? No problem, good luck and thanks for your help.

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-05-2005, 06:09 PM

Hey morph great job. Looks like you are a ringer to me. How much time all together in labor do you think you have into it?

I am going to start mine next weekend and am so happy to see all your progress. I didnt see where you said you got the oversized valves from? And have you thought of doing studs for your headers? I have a header bolt that seamed to have rotted out. I added a little longer bolt but I dont trust it. I have seen stud kits and thought it would be stronger when torqing those headers down. Oh well just a thought. peace... Jay...
Old 03-06-2005, 05:08 AM

Jaymo - I ordered my oversized valves from engbldr.com. I went his ebay route instead of his online store however and saved about $12 - 15 dollars. He was great to work with as he answered all of my questions and the valves looked awesome. Quick shipping I might at. Hop on eba and search for his name and you should come across his listings.

Gotta go, still need to pack and get on the road to Idaho. Be back in a week and then my mini-wrench-a-thon to complete my engine begins.

"The slowest build in Yotatech history 2005"

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-06-2005, 10:51 PM

Morph,

I have always just used the RTV or FIPG (form in place gasket) goop for the oil pan. The parts stores over here do not even have a part number for an oil pan gasket? That said if you go with the RTV or FIPG watch out for the bolts and bolt holes getting a good rtv style lock-tite treatment it can be a real bear to contend with on the next removal. I am lost on the oil pump question......it does not have to be replaced in this job; for the heads that I have done I use a assy lube on the cam bearings, lobes and dist gear. Then I use 20 wt oil, do a leak check engine run, shut down to correct if any, then just let it idle for at least a hour with the heater on...then shut off, oil and filter change to what the owner wants or 10w-40, flush the rad real good fill with 50-50, 5 mile road test and return to owner.....the next oil change in 200 to 500 KMs and every 3K - 5K KMs after that. I do the 200-500 change so I can listen for troubles and run the oil through a mag screen.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:04 AM

I'm Back..

Ok, thanks Dragon for the input. I just drove 21 hours straight and I have to work tonight and a few of my clients called and need me ASAP on Saturday morning. I hope to get started back on my Yota Saturday night. In an ideal world I'll finish the engine sometime Sunday (we'll see about this however).

My trip to Idaho went good. We even cheated and left early and then drove to Oregon and Washington to look at homes. I think in a matter of 4 - 5 months I'll no longer be a SoCal person but I'll be an Idahoian (??).

Updates to come and Drkgypsy I'll call you and maybe we can get together and either finish this or admire the finished project soon.

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-11-2005, 10:40 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Originally Posted by Morphine
Updates to come and Drkgypsy I'll call you and maybe we can get together and either finish this or admire the finished project soon.

-=Morphine=-
No doubt about it. Sat going to spend the day w/ my dad shootin our black powder rifles at the range, and Sun afternoon, my nephew turns 1 year old. So Sun night, Monday morning cool? Call the cell, or PM me addy and all that.

Glad to hear you all had a good trip, and are home "hopefully" safe.

Tony
Old 03-11-2005, 10:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by drkgypsy
No doubt about it. Sat going to spend the day w/ my dad shootin our black powder rifles at the range, and Sun afternoon, my nephew turns 1 year old. So Sun night, Monday morning cool? Call the cell, or PM me addy and all that.

Glad to hear you all had a good trip, and are home "hopefully" safe.

Tony
This stuff is why I love this board!! Im glad im not the only muzzle stuffer around this site!!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:10 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Your not alone Bumpin'...your really not alone. My 45 cal. Pennsylvania(sp?) Long-gun is as "traditional" as this WOP gets. My dad and 'dopted uncle are gettin into the whole mountain man thing. I'm talkin the clothes, learning the lingo of yesteryear, and thinking of doing the primative camp setup at the Hart Canyon Rendezvous this year.
Tomorrow at 1 of our local ranges, I'm going to be "smokin".....real black powder. Some1 will be singing "smoke gets in your eyes" by the time I'm done...lol
Old 03-14-2005, 04:08 PM

Morph,

It is tuesday morning over here in Japan. That means the weekend is over i the States....did you make any head way (thats not punny) getting the toy back together?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:40 PM

Slow and steady wins the race

OK, progress is being made, but every step forward takes me 2 steps back. Oil pump is back on as is the oil pan. I figured I was this far in I would replace the oil pump. Well I didn't want to start rushing so I took a breather and then remembered the "Sloppy" shifting. Next thing you know I have my shifter seat bushing in my hand and half of it is gone. Now the replacement is on order from Marlincrawler.com.

Well I read a thread about dyeing the carpet and this sounded like fun so I pulled my bench out and carpet. I may custom fab some carpet into the cab or attempt to dye my old carpet. Who knows maybe both? Now I'm ready to keep going on and connect the water pump but then I read not to use the RTV copper gasket seal but to use the "ACTUAL" rtv water pump seal, something to do with better seal for the water pump. I don't know I'm no mechanic. Now I'm on the internet trying to find out if I should pick up some RTV seal for water pumps or just use the RTV Copper I already have.

So their she stands in my garage, missig half of her motor, parts on the ground, interior pulled out sitting next to her and another order on it's way. I may be slow but I'm loving every minute of this. Plus once I'm all done, I'll know every sound, inch, screw, bolt, blood stain, scratch, on her. And isn't that what it's all about?

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-14-2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Morphine
Plus once I'm all done, I'll know every sound, inch, screw, bolt, blood stain, scratch, on her. And isn't that what it's all about?
-=Morphine=-
Morph,

Yeap you will have all of that knowledge plus knowledge that you did not mention here.......that is how much of a ROYAL PITA it is to do it

Quick Reply: 3vze Top End rebuild...W/pics...slowly