Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze Top End rebuild...W/pics...slowly

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaymo
Nice work morphine. You will love the headers, I have had mine for 6 years and love em..
I will be contacting partsdinosaur today and getting the same kit.
Not to hijack but I did a comp check and had all but one read at 160. and piston one is at 140. I have 164000 miles and had the head gasket done at 60000. Am i jumping the gun wanting to do the upper rebuild? Seems to run great but am in the process of overhauling almost every thing else. O well thanks again morphine for the great info...Jay...
I doubt it would run great with one cylinder being that low. Your numbers also seem on the low side.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:45 PM

Hey all Just tried and got the same numbers

1 142
3 163
5 160
2 155
4 160
6 160

The main problam is rough idle. when cold It Idles good but as soon as it warms up she starts to idle really low.

I just did wires, cap, rotor, and plugs and it almost seemed to help at first. But now it is back. I thought cold start injecter but now im not sure.

OHwell Ill get it... thanks ...JAy...
Old 02-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean the throttle body idle bypass. Make sure you use a throttle body cleaner rather than a carburator cleaner. I'll bet the idle bypass is choked with dirt.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:46 PM

Okay I just checked my chiltons for the gen2. It states that a new eng should have compression readings from 150 to 170 PSI however some older engines have run as low as 105 PSI. The important thing is that there is no more than 10pct difference between the cyls. JAYMO you have a 10 pct diff there 160 to 142 is greater than 10pct. It says put some in the spark plug hole and try again if the numbers come up then you have a bottom half problem if the numbers remain the same the troubles are on the top half. If two cyls on in a row have low readings and the oil does not change them more than likly the HG is failing in that area....JAYMO you numbers do not support that yet....1 and 2 are on different side and therefore different HG but the HG could still be getting ready to go there is not enough information right now to make that call. Morph your numbers look good although they are not the low 150 listed in the chiltons I have it does make it clear ON A NEW ENG 150 -170 Yours has how many miles now......and I am willing to bet that after you are finished with all the work that your numbers come up and even that #6 will come in line with the rest of them. Are you willing to check and let us know?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:54 AM

Morphine,
I am in the middle of a head tear down myself, and have been following this thread. I was wondering where you bought your headers?
Thanks

Next I found my Downey headers localy (within 45 miles) and at one hell of a price. Downey Ceramic headers, new in the box with all mounting supplies and the Smog sticker for $155 cheaper than Downey directly
Old 02-25-2005, 01:40 PM

Dragon - you got it, I'l re-do my compression test when I'm done for a comparisson.

lepomis68 - I bought mine at Baja Concepts I originally thought their price was a mistake so I called them. Next day I drove down and bought them. I skipped on the Downey "y-pipe" (crossover) as my local muffler shop is doing some custom work for a lot less money.

**EDIT** just got the mail and my fuel injectors arrived. Last night I recieved my order from partsdinosaur.com . Now I need the knock sensor and wire and I'll be ready to reassemble.

-=Morphine=-

Last edited by Morphine; 02-27-2005 at 12:32 AM. Reason: New info
Old 02-28-2005, 09:11 PM

Morph,

I do not yet see anything on the re-assy project...how goes it???????
Old 03-01-2005, 07:17 AM

Slow Going...Damn Work

Sorry for the delay. I just picked up the heads from the machine shop yesterday. I've been working like a mad man for my clients lately and had to adjust my priorities...Clients (they're actually paying for this then sleep, then my Yota. I'm such a bad yota owner not putting her first.

The re-assy is coming.

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-01-2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Morphine
Sorry for the delay. I just picked up the heads from the machine shop yesterday. I've been working like a mad man for my clients lately and had to adjust my priorities...Clients (they're actually paying for this then sleep, then my Yota. I'm such a bad yota owner not putting her first.

The re-assy is coming.

-=Morphine=-
Even more proof that "INDEPNDANTLY WEALTHY TOYOTA 4X4 OWNER" is a myth
Old 03-01-2005, 11:42 PM

Just woke up...I finished an email campaign for one client. Uniquely designed emails for there newly established "email blast" program. Kept me busy for nearly 36 hours solid. Sent the first one out today and my client was recieving orders within 2 hours. By 5 hours in he had recouped his expense for the full year of ads. Now thats independantly wealthy...Plus he drives a suburban lifted w/38's, limo tint all the way around, goes wheelin' and is his "company" truck.

Back to the Yota...my skyjacker shocks arrived tonight, but I'm still waiting on my steering stabilizer. The stealership hasn't gotten in my fuel injector spacers either, "should have them in by wednesday". They told me "Tuesday" last week. I want her running by Friday cause I leave for Idaho on Sunday.

5 days without looking at my engine and parts, I'll forget where everything goes if she's not back together again

-=Morphine=-

Last edited by Morphine; 03-01-2005 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What are you planning to do for a cross-over to connect your headers? And did you also get Downey's cat? Sorry if you already said just tell me to look up.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:35 AM

No Downey "Y-pipe" or Cat. They're asking to much money. My muffler shop is going to do some custome piping from the headers to a new high flow cat to a new magnaflow exhaust and then out. Not sure of the brand for the cat yet nor am I sure if I want the exhaust to exit the side or straight back.

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-02-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Morphine
No Downey "Y-pipe" or Cat. They're asking to much money. My muffler shop is going to do some custome piping from the headers to a new high flow cat to a new magnaflow exhaust and then out. Not sure of the brand for the cat yet nor am I sure if I want the exhaust to exit the side or straight back.

-=Morphine=-
Instead just do two hi flow cats and then just turn the pipes down!! "Mufflers? We dont need no stinkin mufflers!!"
Old 03-02-2005, 03:40 PM

California Emissions :cry: I can't. When I move to Idaho, who knows. I need to look into their emission laws. Unless someone here knows off hand?

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-02-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you should move here! "Emissions" down here is breaking wind on a long drive and locking the windows up!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:45 PM

The goodies before going on...soon

The goodies and the heads back from the machine shop before going on my Yota....

Name:  Goodies1.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  head.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  head2.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  OSvalves.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  54.2 KB

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-02-2005, 10:54 PM

Okay Morph...DO NOT INVOLVE THE LADY THIS TIME... she said no last time....

just send the parts to me ....I promise I will give you a core swap.......

Really you are going to love it when it is back on the road, and even more your off of it
Old 03-02-2005, 11:27 PM

I was already getting a sweet deal on my head work, but when I picked them up they gave me another $25 dollars off. I ended up paying only 250 to have both heads surfaced, bored for OS valves, installed the valves and valve job, and pressure plate(deck) the head to check for warpage and uniformity.

I spent this morning cleaning the block and "knock on wood that all goes well tomorrow or today" I'll begin to put her back together again.

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-03-2005, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can they adjust the valves while the head is off the truck?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Can they adjust the valves while the head is off the truck?
It would be very wise to just do a quick check on all the valves for clearance.
It is so much easier to do the shims with the heads not on the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 3vze Top End rebuild...W/pics...slowly