Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze timing belt** need advise/help FAST! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze timing belt** need advise/help FAST! *PICS*

Hey yota fans! i got a few quick questions regarding replacing my timing belt on my 91 SR5 3vze. I have read and even printed out the timing belt section from the FSM but i am still a little confused and want to get this rite. I really want to get my rig back on the road ASAP, so im looking for some quick responses please as im just waiting for some tech help before i go any further. okay, so I brought up my crank to TDC indicated by my white marks on the oil pump and the crank gear.

Next i brought both camshaft gears up to match the marks on the rear timing cover.

Next i installed the timing belt and made white marks on the belt itself indicating the alignment of the belt and the camshaft sprockets.

next i double checked that the crank marks and the camshaft marks are all where they are supposed to be.

This is where i get confused. I rotated the motor (clockwise) until the white marks on the belt are brought back up to the top, and the white marks are off one tooth on the first rotation.

I rotated the engine a second time and the white marks on the belt are now off two teeth.

So here's my main question, does it matter about the white marks i made on the belt? or should i only be looking at the crank and cam marks because even though the belt marks are off, every time i rotate the engine 360* the crank and camshaft marks are lined up perfectly.

thank you in advance for your help as i am merely a wrench turner and NOT a mechanic and i have gotten myself confused on this matter.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
when I did mine I didnt pay any attention to the belt marks, just crank and cam marks
Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will be many revolutions before the marks on the belt align back up to their original positions.

So, what matters is that after two full clock-wise revolutions of the crank, the cam marks align with the backing plate and the mark on the timing gear aligns with the mark on the oil pump. I then go an additional two full revolutions of the crank and if all aligns, button it up.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's what i thought. i just got the dampener reinstalled and cycled the engine 3 more times and everything is lining up, crank and oil pump/damper and #1 timing belt cover/and cam sprockets. everything seems to be lined up properly so i suppose i will start reinstalling the rest of the front engine pieces. Thank you for the tech help!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you've got it. Git 'er done.