Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze timing belt/intake-water pulley

Old 06-11-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze timing belt/intake-water pulley

Hi,

I am in the process of replacing the coolant tube underneath the lower intlet manifold and this one has the idler pulley for the timing belt built into the water inlet for the motor.

Anyway I didnt realize this was the case and thought I might get away with just loosening it off and removing it without knock the belt off a couple of teeth. (was going to cable tie it all in position but couldnt get a cable tie around it all. Of course the belt jumped a couple of teeth when I eventually got the lower inlet manifold out. I put pen marks on the upper two pulleys and corresponding to the belt before I did this so I know where the belt is meant to be but not sure if it slipped at the bottom to I dont think so though.

Can I get away with just putting it all back together trying to get my tops marks lined back up and watch it that the actual crank or cams dont move when I do it up? The thing was never set to TDC as I never realised the bloody pulley had to come off and then when I realised I was kinda like stuff it its coming off now....

Again do you guys think I can get away with this? Dont really have any other option do I? As I cant retime it without everything at TDC?

To my thinking theres no way the crank or cams moved so just watching the belt and cams when I do it up that it doesnt try to pull a cam around by a tooth and it should be ok?

Also the frost plugs under this lower inlet manifold if people are doing this stupid pipe do they usually replace the three frost plugs aswell or just leave them? Obviously its hard to tell exactly where it was leaking but I deff think it was that tube.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:00 PM

This is where im upto.

The freeze plugs in the middle of the V were pretty rusty I vacuumed most of the bits out of there and cleaned it all up a bit before I mounted the new coolant tube in there.

Never replaced freeze plugs on anything before do people usually purchase these from Toyota or are they an easily obtainable aftermarket item? Im thinking I probably should replace those three down the middle of the block so nobody has to go back in there just for those.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 PM

Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech.

First, you're over-thinking the valve timing. The 3VZE is a "non-interference" engine, so you can turn the cams all you want without colliding with the piston. So turn the cams until the arrows point up, turn the crank to TDC, then install your belt. Don't worry about ANY marks on the belt (including ones you put there), they will all move around as soon as you spin the belt through a full revolution. (Did you remove the tensioner? If not, back up, remove the tensioner, and follow the manual http://web.archive.org/web/201204051...67timingbe.pdf )

Second, for gosh-sakes clean up your work area! Call me anal if you wish, but I can't stand to work with all that crud. Your gaskets will never seal, and you'll miss stuff hiding under all the dirt. Use an old toothbrush and a little paint thinner. Once you get all the dirt out of the valley, you can measure the freeze plugs with your calipers. They are a standard size (though I can't tell you what size they are), and you don't need Toyota OEM. But even from Toyota, they don't cost that much (about $5-7 each).
Old 06-11-2019, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the advice. Thats what I was worried about weather I was going to end up with valves touching pistons or not. If thats not going to happen its no worries and I'll sort it out.

Im fixing this thing on a farm in the middle of nowhere. I'll take some rags and stuff when I go back. This is a farm truck so as long as it holds water nobodies going to loose to much sleep over it all. Your right about keeping a clean working area but you also gotta do what you gotta do.

And the pic is after I half cleaned it with a vacuum down into the valve area and a razor scrapper. If you think thats dirty now I dont know what to say. I should of taken a photo of this POS when I first pulled the lower intake off. It was a ˟˟˟˟in mess. I actually left it for a day just to get a vacuum to it to vacuum up all the ˟˟˟˟ before I tried to lift the lower intake the amount of ˟˟˟˟ down there was unbelievable must of just about wrecked this vacuum.

Last edited by skylinerd1; 06-11-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:35 PM

What the general consensus on these frost plugs? Have people seen them leak before??

I will test the old valley tube and see if it actually had a hole in it. If it does not I will certainly replace the frost plugs but if it doesn I think I might leave them.