86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE rebuild nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3VZE rebuild nightmare

First, I want to say than you - this forum has provided a vast amount of help since I first started this rebuild back at the end of May.

I'm nearing the end of the rebuild (I hope) of the 3VZE in my 1990 4Runner. The initial problem was a bad valve on #4. So, we tore the thing down, had the heads machined and the valve replaced. That was the easy part.

As we tore it all down we did our best to label everything so that we could put it back together with as little hassle as possible - or that was the intent at least. It turned out that the previous owner had very poor maintenance habits and many things had to be replaced as we dove into the nightmare of this rebuild.

A quick run down of what has already been completed:
Timing idler #1 and #2 replaced
Timing belt replaced
Water pump replaced
Valve replaced
Heads machined
Knock sensor replaced
Injector spacers replaced
All new gaskets and o-rings (of course)
Timing re-set
Many new hoses

So, now we are nearing the end of this - I hope. Most of the vacuum lines have been replaced and re-installed. I have been unable to determine what hose needs to be placed in the indicated area:

By tumbles04 at 2012-01-02

Another concern I am having is that there is a wire coming out of the firewall near the center that is not attached to anything - I think it goes hooked over a part in front of it, but I'm not sure how to make it stay in place. It slips off easily:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Finally, for now, a vacuum hose that had been re-installed somewhere on the back of the motor has accidentally been knocked off. Now, with the air intake already in place, we aren't sure where it was supposed to go, if we can re-install it with a little contortionist behavior, or, if we need to begin removing parts.... At the end of the hose there is a T connection - one part is regular hose, the other side is of a hard plastic material. The hose can be traced back and originates from here:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We have been tackling this in a 'take it slow and be sure' manner - but we are into month 8 now....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Pic #1 that is a coolant hose that comes off the Pod on the back of the motor, just below the intake plenum, where the temp switch, etc are located. There should be a coolant hose on the other side of the throttle body as well, goes into the metal pipe at the front of the intake plenum.
Pic #2 This rod goes into the Heater cable that comes out of the firewall, and pretty much just stays in place. I took needle nose pliers to mine, and bent the cable up just a little to keep it in place.
Pic #3 This vacuum hose goes into a hard plastic hose, which goes across the top area of the firewall, and then goes back into regular vacuum hose and is connected to the 3 outlet black vacuum connector located on the passenger side of the intake plenum.

Last edited by 93toyrunner2; 01-02-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 PM
GDR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the throttle body is a coolant connection. The large metal pipe at the back of the motor that feeds coolant to the heater has a tee off for a smaller hose that goes to the TB. I'm sure we are looking right at it in pic #2.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome.
In the top picture of the throttle body I believe a water hose goes on that connection.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM

If you ask me, the throttle position sensor is backwards. I may be wrong, but after owning 2 of these motors, I have not experienced it facing the drivers side, always facing the passenger side. Did you set up the TP sensor with a multimeter before you put the throttle body on?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the input! I'll go stick my head in the hole and make it happen
Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Hi Bob, this is tumble's husband - we didn't take the TPS or TB off of the plenum when the plenum was removed, it all stayed in place and the whole thing was taken off as a unit.

Also here is another angle of the TB with the only "open" hose we can find: (circled) (nipple in question is arrowed)

so far that's all we can find that will hook to the TB, the heater hoses along the firewall weren't taken loose or apart, so they haven't been moved. I guess we need to dig deeper into the engine or something, maybe take the plenum back off and restart?

Last edited by tumbles; 01-02-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Highlighted the hose that connects there, however, it looks like it was cut off.
The red circled hose end connects directly above the circle, looks like it was cut off as well.

Last edited by 93toyrunner2; 01-02-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 PM

TP is backwards
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 PM

throttle body coolant hoses

I have a 95 4runner 3.0 3vze, which I bought used. After taking off and cleaning the throttle body, I realized that both of the coolant intakes were broken off. Can someone please explain and post pix or a diagram of exactly how and where these coolant lines feed into the TB? I've searched far and wide trying to find some pix, and this thread was the closest I could find. I have cleared all the engine codes, but am still having some problems with high idle or surging. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Problem fixed :))

Ok so I figured out the coolant hose routing to the throttle body. The coolant hose at the front of the intake is to be routed through the throttle body and go into the back of the motor. The previous owner had bypassed the throttle body with just one hose because the ports were broken off. After cleaning the inside passage, i simply hammered in some 5/16 copper pipe to the throttle body, and further secured it with epoxy. High idle and surging problems are immediately fixed. As for the 2 metal lines coming from the driver's side engine compartment, I simply plugged them off until I can find suitable T connectors install them properly. This link helped me the most

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctions-161802/

Believe me I spent hours online trying to find the proper hose routing. I gotta give it to Toyota that this thing ran with all that was messed up on this motor lol.