YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   3VZE Engine Overhaul, Ok To Use Stock Manifolds?? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/3vze-engine-overhaul-ok-use-stock-manifolds-307129/)

Rpowell600 03-01-2019 05:52 AM

3VZE Engine Overhaul, Ok To Use Stock Manifolds??

Just finishing up an overhaul and I have some cheap ebay headers sitting in the garage. I cant fork out the money for $600 plus headers at the moment. I need to keep EGR so I would have to fabricate a tube to run the EGR valve on the ones I have here. Im also concerned with heat on the brake lines and fuel lines. Is it worth the trouble to install these headers or would I be ok with running the stock exhaust manifolds?

Melrose 4r 03-01-2019 07:05 AM

I'll comment on your heat question. I have the headers wrapped on my Camaro and it's amazing how well the wrap reduced the underhood temp. A roll of wrap is about $25 from summit and will do one V8 -sized header. You use stainless steel tie wraps to hold it in place. You can get the stainless tie wraps from home depot or lowes or summit.

Rpowell600 03-01-2019 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r (Post 52419532)
I'll comment on your heat question. I have the headers wrapped on my Camaro and it's amazing how well the wrap reduced the underhood temp. A roll of wrap is about $25 from summit and will do one V8 -sized header. You use stainless steel tie wraps to hold it in place. You can get the stainless tie wraps from home depot or lowes or summit.

I have some rolls of titanium header wrap. Just the headers here being "cheap" and the fabrication required may not be worth all the hassle for no gains. I have heard of the crossover causing head gasket issues but yet there are 3.0's out there with 150-200k on them with no issues running stock everything. If I can return these and get my money back without setting myself up for failure that is the goal.

scope103 03-01-2019 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rpowell600 (Post 52419526)
... or would I be ok with running the stock exhaust manifolds?

Originally Posted by Rpowell600 (Post 52419537)
... return these and get my money back without setting myself up for failure that is the goal.

Your 4runner has run for 24 years with the stock manifold. Yeah, I suppose you might only get ANOTHER 24 years out of them before you need to go out and buy an aftermarket replacement. :^)

But I think you can wait until then to decide.

Rpowell600 03-01-2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by scope103 (Post 52419538)
Your 4runner has run for 24 years with the stock manifold. Yeah, I suppose you might only get ANOTHER 24 years out of them before you need to go out and buy an aftermarket replacement. :^)

But I think you can wait until then to decide.

My thoughts exactly! I guess I wanted to hear someone else say it lol. Although the internet has plagued the stock system as "the worst engineering ever". Ill keep it stock for now.

old87yota 03-01-2019 10:52 AM

I agree with Scope103.

The stock manifolds are fine and will work with your EGR system without the need to fabricate anything.

The 3VZ-E, while not the absolute best automotive engineering, they are far from being bad. As you pointed out, there are still many 3VZ-E engines with over 200,000 miles that did not have any kind of major failure.

:safari:

Rpowell600 03-01-2019 11:11 AM

Im returning the headers and sticking with stock. I appreciate everyone's input!