Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze DTC 14, lost power, cranks-won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're probably right about the lack-of-chip. I've seen a picture of someone who tried to clean the MAF based on instructions and pulled all the connectors out. I might have too if I hadn't read about how many people had done it.

I'll check all out again tonight. I'm a little afraid to remove the top, but if it's failing/failed anyway, it can't hurt and I can always glue to the top back on (as many other have had to do unintentionally).

Thanks!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM

Update: After disconnecting the battery and clearing the codes, I rechecked the resistance on the terminals on the AFM and they were all within spec. However, after a couple of engine restarts, I rechecked the codes and found 24, 31, and 32, which is also a related code.

With the resistance being in spec, is it possible (you alluded to it) that I have a wiring or ECU problem? It's running okay; not great, but okay. It was hesitant to start but it's still pretty warm even after a couple hours from the drive home; although it's still in the 90s at 10:00pm so the cool down is slow. I still think it's strange that it starts easily when it's cold.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scrussanation
1) you ever sale let me know i might be contender especially since you have exact engine as me

2)have you checked your TPS??? whats your ohms reading??

3) whats your timing set at? It never hurts to change plugs and wires just make sure they are a decent brand, I bought imports a week ago and the boots made very poor contact and caused numerous issues, needless to say replaced with NGK wires... check your o2 sensor as well. check for alll the simple stuff leaks, airflow restriction, vacuum, lines. also dont use bosch anything on these things.. i hear horror stories lol.

4) you being in dallas not too far from me being close to tyler and all. I've never had any major issues with mine and I love it. hope this helps point you in the right direction

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml this is for your tps checking

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...92volumeai.pdf this is to check your AFM not to be mistaken as a MAF... basically same thing imo but whatever

and a guide to your 3vze http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/ just make sure you pick the right document when looking for what to check. their are resistance values different from the 22re then the 3vze.. I know i made the stupid mistake once.

hope that helps buddy!
Two years later...

Still have the '92 4Runner 4WD (in Dallas). After replacing numerous parts over time, I found a faulty connection at the fuel pump (on the outside). Very frustrating after replacing a lot of parts, although some clearly were ready; ex. fuel pressure regulator.

I'm about ready to sell it and wondering if you'd still be interested. In full disclosure; after getting everything in good shape, it overheated and I realized it had finally experienced the infamous head gasket problem. It was leaking into cylinder 6 and into the oil passage as well. Over several months of letting it sit and occassionally trying different brands of "head gasket in a bottle", Blue Devil seems to have worked. The others (Rislone and K&W w/Kevlar) didn't hold. I've got about 150 miles on it right now and am driving it to work every day (about 25 miles/day). I'm about to turn over 210,000 miles.

I wouldn't trust it yet on a long trip, but I'm getting more confident each day. Ultimately it needs new head gaskets and could need the heads shaved. The cheapest fix is to pull the heads and get them shaved locally and put it back together. The next deal (easier) would be to buy remanufactured heads (ready to mount) at Autozone or online. Autozone has them for about $400 each, so two and a head gasket kit and you're done, unless someone wanted to redo the rings while that far into it. I'm brave enough to do it myself now, but with six cars in the family, I'm never done working on them and this is a "back-up".

It actually looks great and is very clean. Let me know if you'd like more info or know anyone else who would.