YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   3VZ-E Oil dipstick installation (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/3vz-e-oil-dipstick-installation-105013/)

brjason 01-23-2007 09:08 AM

3VZ-E Oil dipstick installation

Yes, I do actually have a question about this...

Does the oil dipstick guide just slide into place at the bottom of the block (or is that the oilpan?) without any kind of gasket or sealant, or am I missing something? If that's the way it's supposed to be, why doesn't oil leak out around the outside of it? It seems like such a loose connection...

Perhaps I just need to be edjumacated about engines 101 or something.

:)

callmej75 01-23-2007 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by brjason (Post 50404383)

Does the oil dipstick guide just slide into place at the bottom of the block (or is that the oilpan?) without any kind of gasket or sealant, or am I missing something? If that's the way it's supposed to be, why doesn't oil leak out around the outside of it? It seems like such a loose connection...

I replaced the o-ring seal on mine and put RTV around it.

brjason 01-23-2007 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by callmej75 (Post 50404425)
I replaced the o-ring seal on mine and put RTV around it.

What o-ring seal? The FSM I have refers to one, but it calls it the "o-ring seal on the dipstick," as opposed to the dipstick guide. Is the o-ring you're talking about on the dipstick guide or on the dipstick itself? I was looking for that last night after reading that in the manual, but I couldn't tell where there's supposed to be an o-ring seal.

Jason

callmej75 01-23-2007 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by brjason (Post 50404542)
What o-ring seal? The FSM I have refers to one, but it calls it the "o-ring seal on the dipstick," as opposed to the dipstick guide. Is the o-ring you're talking about on the dipstick guide or on the dipstick itself? I was looking for that last night after reading that in the manual, but I couldn't tell where there's supposed to be an o-ring seal.

Jason

Look around at the bottom of the guide tube....there should be a circle embedded into the tube that holds an o-ring. Go to the auto parts store and get an o-ring to fit on that. Its where it goes into the engine.

brjason 01-23-2007 11:18 AM

Ah, perfect... I'm sure that answers my question.

Thanks!
Jason

callmej75 01-23-2007 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by brjason (Post 50404555)
Ah, perfect... I'm sure that answers my question.

Thanks!
Jason

You bet! :bigok:

Jon Toreau 08-13-2020 06:26 PM

Can someone get me a video or good photos where the guide is located and how if feeds down... I pulled my motor and it just doesn’t make sense I can’t seem to get it to sit where it looks proper. Also where the bracket is attached to ... 3.0 3vze

Originally Posted by brjason (Post 50404383)

Loop320 08-14-2020 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jon Toreau (Post 52449018)
Can someone get me a video or good photos where the guide is located and how if feeds down... I pulled my motor and it just doesn’t make sense I can’t seem to get it to sit where it looks proper. Also where the bracket is attached to ... 3.0 3vze

Your alternator bracket has 3 bolts, the dipstick guide bolts through the lower hole of the alternator bracket. Then feed through the hole in the motor mount into the block.