86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

33"X12.5"...91' Runner...No Lift?...Lotsa trimming

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
33"X12.5"...91' Runner...No Lift?...Lotsa trimming

Hey.. I know, I know: the general consensus around here ranges from flat-out "NO" towards "it hasn't really been tried." Here's the thing: I am driving a 1991 4Runner SR5 4x4 with no front lift and 2.5" rear All-Pro springs. My current tire/wheel setup is 32"x11.5"R15" BFG All-Terrain tires on stock Toyota truck rims. Right now the clearance between the topmost part of the rim and the top of the fender is 14-15 inches, and this is the Toyota recommended running setup. My current desire is to put 33"x12.5"R15" Super Swamper SSR radials, with no lift whatsoever and anything goes as to making them fit.

Right now I have access to all the tools I need, as well as an ease of getting whatever I need if I currently do not have that tool, so that will not be a problem. Neither will be cutting up the rear fenders to allow more clearance, as to me it is a simple matter of removing the current fender material as far as possible, and welding on a sheet to cover up the resulting gap.

Here is the pickle: the front fenders. Originally I wanted to go with a fiberglassed-type of deal, but in the end that would include the costs of new paint (I will NOT be a "whitefender!"), as well as other things. For now my idea is to perform a creative "hack-job" with both my Sawzall and my angle grinder, and using my ball-peen to smooth out and flatten any annoying pinch-welds that may be sticking up. This might be better in the long run, as I might want to add a snorkel for those wilder excursions into the local wilderness. To finish it all off, a nice RustOleum paint job all around to clean it up a bit.

Why do most people insist that 12.5" is too wide for a 4Runner on no lift? Is it because most haven't tried hard enough? I always thought that with a little creative work and ingenuity (sp?), you can make anything work within the bounds of reason (44" on no lift MIGHT be an exception..lol).

In all, I've heard a slew of "reasons" as to why it cannot be done (pinch-welds sticking out, A-arm/ other clearance issues, ugliness, etc.), to each I could see a counter as to how I can work around that. I've always been a fan of that credo: "man built it, man can modify it," and I think that I can make this tire size work! And by work, I mean make it a modification that actually works on the trail.

Does someone out there hava a similar experience or can help point me in the right direction, tips, that sort of thing? I want to make this a positive thing, none of that "it can't be done" dribble that people are content to spoon-feed each other with. We used to think that Man cannot fly. Now we go straight to outer space!
Old 03-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Contributing Member

You sound as though that you already know what to do. 33x12.50 WILL fit and i believe it can be done with no serious trimming BUT for trial use just do what you already stated and you should be fine.
Why do some people say 12.50 is too wide? Because most people that ask have stock rims with crappy backspacing. Seriously consider 3.75" backspaced aftermarket rims before you add those tires. To make things a little easier you should add some BJ spacers too.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am running 33x12.5's on mine. I just did some trimming and hammered the pinch weld and firewall back a bit. Though I do still get some rubbing and as soon as the snow melts away I will be tubbing the firewall back a bit.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by shawnhog
Why do most people insist that 12.5" is too wide for a 4Runner on no lift? Is it because most haven't tried hard enough?
Because most people are sheep that follow the herd. Sounds like you are on the right track.

My '94 truck daily driver runs 225/75-15s, and my trail junk is currently under construction, but I wanted to go wheeling this past weekend. I took my 32" Swampers off the beater and put them on the DD without any mods. With a bit of hacking you can fit 33"s easily.

Here is my '88 junk with just a bj spacer and shackle lift, sitting on 36x12.50s:

Last edited by BeaterToyota; 03-20-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Backspacing is key (4" on mine), also tire style and manufacturer changes how the tire profiles on the rim. The pinch weld is also a given even with a lift (be sure the ECM is moved before hammering). Be aware that at full turn on uneven terrain and inclines there may be rubbing. Fenders are not a problem but the valance will need some trimming. Ideally at least a 2" lift would be best.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:13 PM

While checking some stuff out, I realized that I forgot completely about the Ball-Joint spacer kits that help boost up the frontend a bit. Aside from that, I am planning on custom-building both bumpers and my sliders, so that won't be a problem with my clearance. Basically, I can trim my fenders as much as I want to , until I either hit the end of the fenders or I reach important stuff (lights, firewall, etc).

Overall I am planning an OME BJ spacer kit up front; and a AllPro 5.5" rear coil suspension bringing up the rear, with all the necessary accessories to go with it.

The nice thing about living in Montana is how nice and accommodating the people up here are: After the tim and lifts, I can mess around at the local offroad shop, and borrow their tires to mount on my new rims, and mess around on the RTI ramp to figure out what fits and what doesn't. I want to establish a baseline of 33X12.5, but perhaps I could go higher or wider (33x14.5, anyone?), perhaps both! What I am considering is sticking with the 33X12.5, and getting a set of wideners to push my wheels a little further down and out from the frame and body. Hopefully this will help retain some stability, and help out with attaining that 4" backspacing (3.75" + 1.5" = 5.25"?) earlier mentioned.

A lot of thinking is involved for me these days...
Old 03-20-2006, 10:54 PM

I just did this same thing except on my 94 pickup. Just got back from wheeling some pretty hairy stuff with very minimal rubbing only a few times on the very bottom of the pinch weld which I never touched with the hammer. So I agree with the above posters who say there is ZERO problem fitting 33x12.50s as long as your not afraid to trim alittle here and there and massage the bottom of your fenders.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:31 AM

The SSR's you want to run are also one of the biggest 33's out there. They are within a .10 of the 33 TSL BIAS I used to run. I have pulled up to rigs with cheap 35's and had bigger tires. Thats one of the reasons I went to 35's, I knew they would fit with minimal trimming.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:50 AM

If this guy can squeeze 35's on, you can tuck 33's, hell, grab some 2.5" BS rims if you have to.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=no+lift
Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 PM

I also have a 4" lift.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:57 AM

http://www.brian894x4.com/33INCHTIRES.html

The front axle is same in 4Runner, you can see how much you have to trim. There´ll be no fitting problems at rear with 2.5" lift springs.