86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.4 swap - ORS Crossover- CA Smog

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap - ORS Crossover- CA Smog

Has anyone in California done a 3.4 swap, used the ORS Crossover pipe, and gone through the Smog Referee process?

Were there any problems?

Is there anything I should know before I go?

Edited to add -

Does anyone know of of a referee station that has approved this setup already?
It seems like a good idea to go where others have gone before.

Last edited by funjumper; 12-08-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let us know, that has got to be a hard, frustrating process. Doesn't anything like that have to have a snog sticker (like the Downey headers)?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Let us know, that has got to be a hard, frustrating process. Doesn't anything like that have to have a snog sticker (like the Downey headers)?
I haven't been through the smog referee process. I haven't talked to anyone who has. In other words, I don't know if it is s huge PITA or not.

Other than the ORS Crossover, the rest of the install is going to be completely stock. I have the stock intake system and I am planning to make the conversion look as close to factory as I can. I hope that if it looks factory and is nice and clean, the referee is likely to be less picky than a sloppy looking install with an aftermarket intake.

In theory, you are supposed to have an EO number (exective order) from CARB (California Air Resources Board) for aftermarket intake and exhaust parts.

If you have the stock exhaust manifolds, and are using a crossover constructed with parts of the original pipe, you should get a pass on the requirement for an EO number for the crossover. I don't know for sure. That is why I am trying to find someone who has been successful.

If it comes to pass that I fail and I have to buy headers with an EO number, I am going to be quite unhappy. The manifolds, EGR pipe, and crossover have all had JetHot coating applied.

I plan to build the exhaust system so that if I need headers, there won't be too much re-work required.

Or I'll move to Oregon. ;-)
Old 12-08-2007, 09:09 AM

I have the ORS full auto kit & crossover pipe on order right now and will find out myself when I go to the referee. Looking at Downey's catalog page concerning codes for emission-sensitive products: products that get the green#1 sticker are granted a CARB exemption, an EO number, or are a "direct consolidated replacement part". I'm hoping the crossover pipe will pass based on that last definition. Other than the crossover pipe and exhaust system that will have to be built up, everything else in my swap is OEM Toyota.

I probably won't be finished until the end of January, so let us know how it goes when you get there.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:12 AM

I guess we are both in the same boat. I also have the manifolds coming back from Jet Hot.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What does Mike have to say about it?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:16 AM

I called ORS a couple days ago and they designed all the 3.4 swap parts to be legal in CA so everything is covered.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 AM

Do yourself a favor and talk to the referee BEFORE you buy stuff and start the swap. Write up a letter of intent of what you plan to do. He'll go over it with you and let you know what you'll need to do to be legal. This will make the ref happy and pleasant to work with, which goes a long ways.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalWheeler71
Do yourself a favor and talk to the referee BEFORE you buy stuff and start the swap. Write up a letter of intent of what you plan to do. He'll go over it with you and let you know what you'll need to do to be legal. This will make the ref happy and pleasant to work with, which goes a long ways.
This is a very interesting idea.
Does this suggestion come from personal experience?
How do you go about tracking down a smog referee and contacting them?
I would assume that that any services provided, even planning, would cost $$. If you have done this, how much did it cost?

Thanks for the input.

Edited to add -

This page provides some info. I'll have to do more research.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....ee_centers.htm

Last edited by funjumper; 12-08-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:35 AM

Ditto what SoCalwheeler71 said- let them know what you intend to do via a letter of intent or work summary. If you have pics, I'd include those as well. There is NOTHING in the CARB regulations that say you have to use stock replacement parts- aftermarket equivelants are accepted. The point where most guys fail is that they don't read ahead & find out exactly WHAT is required of their install.

For example- if you put a 98 into a 93 (as I did), you'll be rquired to have all the systems that the 98 came with- EVAP, Converter, etc. The refferee will most likely look at what year your swap engine is, then give you a list of what it needs; I've done 10+ conversions in CA, and that is what I got back each time.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 89934runr
Ditto what SoCalwheeler71 said- let them know what you intend to do via a letter of intent or work summary. If you have pics, I'd include those as well. There is NOTHING in the CARB regulations that say you have to use stock replacement parts- aftermarket equivelants are accepted. The point where most guys fail is that they don't read ahead & find out exactly WHAT is required of their install.

For example- if you put a 98 into a 93 (as I did), you'll be rquired to have all the systems that the 98 came with- EVAP, Converter, etc. The refferee will most likely look at what year your swap engine is, then give you a list of what it needs; I've done 10+ conversions in CA, and that is what I got back each time.
My conversion is going to be as stock as possible, initially. The only aftermarket parts are going to be the ORS Crossover and the catalyctic convertor. It sounds like I should be OK.

With the 10+ conversions you have completed, have you used the ORS Crossover on any of them?

Aftermarket equivalents with EO numbers are are required, from what I can find. No EO number is supposed to mean "No pass".

The Tacoma that the 3.4 came out of had a two cat setup. The exhaust shops I have talked to appear have suppliers that can provide a single cat that can replace the dual cats. I haven't decided to pay for the exhaust to be built, or build it myself. Does anyone know of a good source for California certified catalyctic convertors? A google search comes up with a lot of vendors.

Last edited by funjumper; 12-09-2007 at 08:52 AM.