Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.4 swap - Don't get 5VZFE with EGR

Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap - Don't get 5VZFE with EGR

I have been working on a 3.4 swap for a while. Progress has been slow. I am ramping up to crank it out and get her running.

I live in CA and smog referees won't pass you if pull the EGR system.

Having an EGR system has worked out to being a huge PITA. Routing the heater hoses has been a major hassle. The bracket on the back of the intake manifold that holds the EGR and fuel pressure VSVs interferes with the heater valve. I'll have to relocate the fuel pressure VSV, at the very least. To ensure that the heater valve doesn't hit the EGR VSV when the motor moves around on the mounts, I'll likely have to move the EGR VSV.

Moving the VSVs isn't a problem. Splicing into the wiring harness is. There isn't much room to work with the motor in the chassis. If you end up with one of these motors, splice in some extra wire before you put the motor in the chassis. You won't regret it.

In the process of working with this setup, I managed to break off the air filter from the FP VSV. The green one. The part number is 90910-12075. $76.00 plus shipping from ToyotaPartsSales.com. OUCH.

Does anyone have a spare laying around? How much do you want?

This same VSV is used for the EVAP can on the 3.0. It is the forward most VSV on the lower VSV bank on the passenger side wheel well. I pulled that one for now so that I can keep working on the project.

On a different note -

The engine wiring harness connections for the O2 sensors is way too short to reach where the O2 sensors will end up. I was going to extend the wiring harness. Mike at ORS provided the "blinding glimpse of the obvious" that it will be much easier to extend the wiring on the O2 sensor than extending the engine harness.

According to what I have read, the '96 ECUs don't have the code to run a supercharger setup. The '97 and later do. Figures. I have a 96 2wd Taco motor and ECU. If you are thinking that you might want to supercharge someday, keep this in mind.

Thats it for now.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You dont have to use the egr even on egr vehicles. as for an o2 sensor length when you buy a new one it should have another about a foot more wiring added so you should be able to route the sensor easily anywere you want with plenty of room to reach. If you have an exhaust shop do it have them weld the bung in for it. that shouldnt be too big a problem and i dont think youll have to extend the wiring
Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah but he lives in Ca.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
You dont have to use the egr even on egr vehicles. as for an o2 sensor length when you buy a new one it should have another about a foot more wiring added so you should be able to route the sensor easily anywere you want with plenty of room to reach. If you have an exhaust shop do it have them weld the bung in for it. that shouldnt be too big a problem and i dont think youll have to extend the wiring
I live in California. To get the truck through the Smog Referee you have to have the factory original setup for the motor. If the donor had an EGR system, you have to keep it, or you fail the referee. Fail smog referee = No registration.

I have O2 sensors that came with the 3.4. The leads are about six inches long. Even if they were 12" they still wouldn't reach the engine harness leads. I'll be needing about 2-3', at least. I'll know more when I get the exhaust system in. The engine harness leads are pretty short. The donor was a '96 2wd Tacoma.

What is the deal with smog tests and motor conversion in Washington? Is the process much easier? I may end up in the Seattle area around mid-2008.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Move to Oklahoma, we don't even have safety inspections here.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True, that ECU wont run it, but you can still do the URD fuel upgrades to run a blower. So yes you CAN still use it.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by funjumper
What is the deal with smog tests and motor conversion in Washington? Is the process much easier? I may end up in the Seattle area around mid-2008.
As far as i know the laws are that the motor has to be newer than the model existing was. Im not really going to licence mine as for it is a straight trailer rig. If i did however i could register it in an area that does not require emissions checks and easilyy do it that way (yes this may be illegal) or i could have it inspected by the state patrol i believe. I would need a cat which im not running and other than that i believe i would pass even if i didnt tell them i had swapped motors. Last time i took my 98 chevy to emissions they just plugged in the obdII and checked for codes and i passed with no codes as for my 3.0 original in the 4runner they hooked up a tube to my exhuast. the 3.4 runs cleaner than the 3.0 so i believe i could pass. Dont hold me too that cause really i dont know