YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   3.0 slight knocking (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/3-0-slight-knocking-186375/)

Kiroshu 07-11-2009 05:24 PM

3.0 slight knocking

My dads 1990 4runner 3VZ-E has a slight knock in this vid i made on youtube. Its very noticeable at 45 secs and 1:00 it only happens at idle and constant but comes and goes at idle but has been there the whole time we have had the truck. The motor has about 50k on it from rebuild. So an clues?
Gotta listen very closely to the vid for the distinct knocking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY82sS6YlE8

Kiroshu 07-12-2009 06:18 AM

hmmm no one...

TNRabbit 07-12-2009 06:39 AM

Geez, dude; it's only been a few hours!

That is one of the CLEANEST 3vze engines I've seen in years~

It's difficult to hear it with all the other engine noises coming through. My FIRST thought was it sounds like an idler pulley going out, but it's hard to tell without being there & hearing it. It doesn't make the sound except intermittent at idle? Not when revving?

Kiroshu 07-13-2009 12:05 PM

yes the sound is only at idle. upon reving and uping the idle it goes away like it was never there.

Kiroshu 07-13-2009 03:40 PM

if the idle speed is bellow 700 the knock apears but if i up the idle or rev it is goes away. its slight but its there and i've had 2 or 3.0s and not heard a not like this or even one period....

Kiroshu 07-25-2009 05:39 PM

anyone...

Kiroshu 07-26-2009 11:41 AM

anybody know the slight knocking i'm hearing....

Team420 07-26-2009 12:37 PM

well...u supposed to idle @ 850 +/- 50... so set ur idle and see if it still there.

Kiroshu 07-26-2009 03:50 PM

Ok I went out today and set the idle to 850 and the knock is still there but not as bad now....so i dunno

hollandridgely 11-09-2009 08:24 PM

help if you can...

i saw your video, and the sound is similar to the one i have in my engine. i'm pretty sure is in the valves. the truck is a 91 3.0 v6. the knocking noise is not when idling but starts at about 1500 rpms and then stops when you get above 2800.... ?? another thing is that it doesn't make the noise when there is any stress on the engine like up or down shifting or driving in general just when you rev it up slowly. any imput would be greatly appreciated.

dunnarunner 11-09-2009 09:56 PM

I know this is probably not what anyone wants to hear, but you said your engine has just recently been rebuilt, unfortunately many rebuilds do not do the oil pump as well, the other thing to consider is the pressure valve on the pump may be letting go and not allowing to pressure to build up a low revs. Possibly also you may be using the wrong oil, and last but not least, your engine may have been recently rebuilt, and it has happened before, your filter may be blocked, sometimes because the new parts inside the engine as they wear into place drop rubbish into the sump and the pick up filter can get blocked a bit or in worse case it will block you oil filter itself. That is my 2 cents worth anyway.

hollandridgely 11-10-2009 05:15 PM

hey thanks for the advice. i'll check the oil pump. it kinda makes sense because my oil pressure gauge has been reading weird. the pressure changes when i rev the engine.

Jeremy11 11-10-2009 05:49 PM

similar knocking in 3.0 V6

i also have a tick or tap or knock whatever you wanna call it..
Listen closely around 25 seconds:dunno:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkA-NJhjA2I[/youtube]

hollandridgely 11-11-2009 05:48 PM

it sounds like the same noise but it is hard to tell. my noise is a low solid knock that sounds like it is coming from the center of the engine.

Kiroshu 11-11-2009 05:57 PM

Well i've come to believe since the truck is not having much driveablity issues to just keep driving it. With the idle set at 1000 the idle is either gone or hid.... just so may dad is happy... its got a knock at about 500-800 idle... and its a clear "knock knock knock" but a light one.... could be anything but since its not my truck and my dad is fine with it i'm not messin with it.... since it was rebuilt by "unknown" theres no telling whats been done and not..... the noise in your vid sounds like valves.... mine is a clear light knock... but eh.... nothin i can do right now...

rangerruck 11-11-2009 08:24 PM

I'll say it again; for slight knocking or ticking, start with the Seafoam
treatment trick;

I got one that may help you with a mpg or 2; do the Seafoam trick; warm up the 4rnr, pull off the vaccuum brake line, slowly suck in 6 oz. of seafoam. Just fast enough to bog it down, but DON'T KILL THE ENGINE, THAT IS A BAD THING!
once the 6 oz is gone, immdediately jump over and turn off the key, or have someone sitting there, to do it for you. Then wait at least 15 min, 30 would be better. Then go out, and restart your truck, with the vac hose, at least a bit back on, it does not need to go on all the way. What will happen next, will amaze and scare the hell out of you; black, grey, and white smoke will begin to billow out of your tailpipe, water and goo may flow out of your tail pipe, and sit in it and rev it, up and down , up and down, and hold on 3500 rpms, for about 10 seconds at a time. Make sure you do this, when no one else is at home, or your neighbors; they are going to think you are setting the neighborhood on fire!!!!
After about 10 minutes of this, it will start to blow out a bit clear. Turn off
the engine. pull vaccuum hose off again.
Repeat the above treatment steps with another 6 oz, then add the remaining 6 oz to your gas tank, have at least 7 gals of gas in there, when you do this.
what you will notice after doing this, is quick A!@#$ss response on the throttle, and some peppiness, and some serious idle smootheness will settle in.
I do the Seafoam to all my vehicles. You may even have to turn down your big Idle screw a bit, your engine will suddenly be seeming to idle higher...

Matt90V6SR5 11-11-2009 09:01 PM

Mr seafoam again.So is it a tack click tap slap or more of a tick tack slappity clack?