Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd Gen Rear Bumper Clarification

Old 09-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen Rear Bumper Clarification

Hi all, searched around a bit and couldn't find any straightforward posts on the subject of the 2nd gen rear bumper. I'm looking to get an aftermarket bumper on my 1994. I've already pulled it and as far as I can tell it was mounted to the underside of the body. A few companies selling these bumpers offer a body lift modification for their bumpers, so I'm assuming they'd mount to the frame. If that is the case, does anyone know if there are modifications to the frame required? It looks like my 4runner has holes to accept a frame mount bumper on the inside of the frame, but there are body mounts on the outside of the frame that I don't think the pickups have, and I'm not sure if they'd be in the way or not. It looks like the PU bumpers mount to the outside of the frame, which would clash with the 4Runner body mounts. Mounting inside of the frame seems possible, but looks like it'd require a bumper made to do so.

This all got more confusing when I asked a guy who does nothing but weld up Yota bumpers. I asked him this question and he was completely confused. He said he's never seen a 2nd gen 4Runner with a bumper mounted to the body, and asked why would mine be any different? I'm thinking he's never done a 2nd gen with a response like that though.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

Body mount locations for rear bumper

Stock bumper pulled off with horizontal mounts

Location for vertical mount bumper? With body mounts at same location.

PU Frame Mounted Bumper

Bumper for 94 4Runner with vertical frame mounts for reference. Don't see how this would work.

Last edited by iwanttobelieve; 09-16-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
the mounts you show i am pretty sure were just for the side of the bumper which was really just a fascia with no structural integrity, the holes under the tail gate were for a rubber skirt that acted sort of like a fender well (plastic piece) to keep crap from getting up in the tailgate, you will probably want to put that back..
if you are looking at the Trail Gear bumper as your replacement it mounts with 2 bolts to the frame on both sides
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/42814812@N06/, on Flickr
the screen capture you show from LROR(owned by Trail-Gear and is T-G's Rock Defense bumper) site is for the 84-89 4Runner, the 90-95 4runner bumper does not have the tube running underneath from the mount to the forward edge of the bumper

don't mount anything to a body mount except the body
Old 09-16-2018, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the flickr link, your build is looking good. So is your bumper mounted to the inside of the frame as to not interfere with the body mounts to the outside?

The mounts in the first and second pic (#5, and #6 below) were holding the main, center portion of the bumper mounting to the body. My side pieces (#9, #10) were mounted to the exterior of the rear quarter panel and the underside of the body at the wheel well. Also I never had a skirt, but the last owner could've removed for some reason. I'll have to grab another.

Definitely don't want to replace it with another bumper that mounts to the bumper (if thats truly what I have), but want to make sure these frames were made accept a bumper without modifications.

Last edited by iwanttobelieve; 09-16-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:46 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by iwanttobelieve
Thanks for the flickr link, your build is looking good. So is your bumper mounted to the inside of the frame as to not interfere with the body mounts to the outside?

The mounts in the first and second pic (#5, and #6 below) were holding the main, center portion of the bumper mounting to the body. My side pieces (#9, #10) were mounted to the exterior of the rear quarter panel and the underside of the body at the wheel well. Also I never had a skirt, but the last owner could've removed for some reason. I'll have to grab another.

Definitely don't want to replace it with another bumper that mounts to the bumper (if thats truly what I have), but want to make sure these frames were made accept a bumper without modifications.

it mounts to the outside of the frame, just like the factory mounts (sorry borrowed your pic, which appears to be from a 1st gen 4runner )

The trail-gear bumper mounts to outside of frame, have a heavy non marring hammer helps with persuasion

Old 09-16-2018, 03:53 PM

That screen shot was from a 91 pickup. My 4runner's brackets don't look like that, they look like #5,6 in the FSM drawing. (Unfortunately my FSM PDF is missing the bumpers section). All bumpers I've seen so far look like that though. If you look at this pic again, I have a body mount at that location though which would prevent mounting a bumper to the exterior of the frame.

I'm scratching my head on this one. (you can see where #5,6 mount to the body on the top left of this picture here)

Last edited by iwanttobelieve; 09-16-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

looks like the back of the frame was cut off my 92 4 Runner the body mount is not that close !!

Had your 4Runner been hit in the back end?

Imported from a Non USA market ??

Really a 96 titled as a 95??

Having never taken a good look under one of those 3rd generations I don`t know
Old 09-17-2018, 07:51 AM
Fossilized
Staff

i am at work, I will try to remember to take pictures of how mine is mounted tonight when i get home
Old 09-17-2018, 09:26 AM

Sounds good, I appreciate the help. I was gonna say I might just have to crawl under the next 2nd gen I see parked on the street. Searching for the mounts specifically I did find this:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cation-191199/

Mine hasn't been rear ended to my knowledge or modified. Carfax was clean when I bought it. It all looks factory to me. Sold from a Toyota dealership in Florida, but made in Japan, but I'm pretty sure they all were. Nothing special here as far as I can tell.

Last edited by iwanttobelieve; 09-17-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Any idea what market this vehicle was intended for, that may shed some light on the confusion?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:34 PM

I’ve pulled my history with Toyota by VIN and all I could find is that it was originally sold at a dealership in Florida so I’d assume it was manufactured for the US market. It’s LH drive. Only thing that’s a little unusual about it is it came with 4.56 gears from the factory.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Fossilized
Staff

So I stand corrected , the bumper mounts to the inside of the frame. Could have sworn it was the outside.
Anyway pics

Bumper bolts on outside of the frame

Bumper mounts on inside of frame
Old 09-17-2018, 05:17 PM

Sweet! Okay thanks so much for looking and posting pics. After market bumpers must run inside then. Glad to see the bolts clear the body mount too.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:27 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by iwanttobelieve
Sweet! Okay thanks so much for looking and posting pics. After market bumpers must run inside then. Glad to see the bolts clear the body mount too.
you are welcome. The pics are of my rear Trail Gear bumper