Old 02-10-2016, 09:25 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
    Print Wikipost

2nd gen 4runners lift guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    OK I think I am at the end of the journey for the BJ spacer/Landcruiser Coil lift. Learned some good lesons along the way...the least of which is to take internet advice with caution since I ended up wasting time and money on incorrect part numbers.

To sum up my lift:
    Front:
    4Crawler 1.5" BJ spacers
    Procomp +2" shocks for Toyota pickup (part# 917514)

Rear:
    2x LEFT rear Landcruiser Coil (so they were the same size since LC coils are different length right and left since there were complaints that lift was also unequal if the unequal coils used) (*see note under issues below)
    4Crawler 4" Panhard Drop bracket
    4Crawler 4" Brake Valve Proportioner bracket (but later redrilled to 3")
    Rancho 9000 series Landcruiser rear shocks (part# RS999208) (I chose these because they have a stud top like stock...some of the other recommended shocks (ie procomp 922506) were eyelet and would require an adapter to fit...and the adapter required moding the mount so you could never go back to stock)

Issues:
    After all is said and done the left rear of the vehicle is higher than the right rear by 3/4". Only reason I can think of is that the LC coils are soft enough that the extra weight of the gas tank on teh right side is the culprit. Any ideas on other possible causes??? If my hunch is correct then I would recommend going with the left and right LC coils and using the longer on the right rear...

Getting my new tires and alignment tomorrow...will post pics after...right now I still have the 235/75/R15 winter tires on and it looks goofy...
    Old 07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
    Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
    Originally Posted by Psilosin
    Issues:
    After all is said and done the left rear of the vehicle is higher than the right rear by 3/4". Only reason I can think of is that the LC coils are soft enough that the extra weight of the gas tank on teh right side is the culprit. Any ideas on other possible causes??? If my hunch is correct then I would recommend going with the left and right LC coils and using the longer on the right rear...
    Might try swapping the left and right rear coils and see if anything changes. Also, you could try re-adjusting the torsion bars, either raising the front corner opposite to the higher rear corner or lowering the front corner on the same side.
    Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
    When I did mine I used the longer one on the passenger side for the weight of the gas tank. Never measured mine, I have more pressing issues I need to worry about.
    Old 07-02-2010, 07:13 PM

Question

Hey everyone... I'm seriously considering the LC coils / BJ spacer lift. Long story short, the wreckers around here suck, and I hate waiting for things that are shipped.

Everyone has told me to go for a set of sagging cruiser coils for a 3"-3.5" lift. But since new is easier, I was wondering if anyone has ever used new ones for this lift, and how much lift they got? As always, pics would be awesome!

PS-sorry if I'm on this one... I did try doing a search...
    Old 07-02-2010, 07:36 PM

And of course by "new" I mean the cheap part store off-the-shelf variety...
    Old 07-03-2010, 12:01 PM

I used brand new LC coils for my rear lift. Front lift was BJ spacer only, no cranking of the torsion bars. I'm happy with the results.

No before shots but here is some after shots with my new 33x10.5 BFG MudTerrain KM2's:
    Attached Thumbnails 2nd gen 4runners lift guide-lift1.jpg   2nd gen 4runners lift guide-lift2.jpg   2nd gen 4runners lift guide-lift3.jpg  
    Old 07-03-2010, 02:31 PM

Nice trunk! Looks like thats the one I'll be going with... sent you a PM
    Old 07-03-2010, 02:43 PM

I put a matched pair from a LC in the back instead of 2 left or 2 right ones. They were out of one with a towing package supposedly if it makes a difference as well but puttign them in as they were marked (left in left side-right in right) didn't make it obviously sitting crooked, honestly looks level to me.
    Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 AM

Shocks

Putting together a lift, and just want to be 100% sure... Putting BJ spacers on the front and may crank the Tbars a bit (but not likely).
    I want the Rancho RS9000XL's, but can't figure out which ones will work.
    It may be the fact that I'm really tired, but with a BJ spacer, I know the shock needs to be 1.5-2 inches longer due to the extra down travel, but won't if have to be able to compress just as far as stock?
    Old 07-06-2010, 06:44 AM
    Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
    Some front shock length information below. And yes, you need to allow for both compressed and extended lengths:
    - http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...cer.shtml#FAQ1
    - http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Docs/Shocks.txt
    Old 07-13-2010, 01:50 AM

Rancho 9000XL's

Putting in a LC coil/BJ spacer lift, and having trouble finding some 9000xl's that will bolt into the front (no mods preferred)
    Any suggestions?
    Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 PM
    Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Pic request.

Bracket lift with lc coils please.

EDIT: HOURS of searching and i finally found one. Just to contribute to the thread, 4" bracket lift with relaxed torsion bars and lc coils.

Originally Posted by 904_runner

Last edited by 2DoorRunner; 07-19-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 PM

So many ideas... so little money, im thinking i might just fab something up for now, thanks for all the info guys
    Old 10-02-2010, 03:55 PM

my 92 4runner

rough country 5'' suspension lift with 32'' falken wild peaks

Name:  IMG_0664.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  260.8 KB
    Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 PM

looks good sellers
    Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 PM

awesome tips guys! cant wait to build up my stock 90 runner.
    Old 10-24-2010, 04:45 PM

do you need the panhard bracket with the ome 901hd's?
    Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Nice rides, here is mine , got it just stock with 31 bfg, I put a 3 inch bodylift and used air shocks to get rid of the butt sag, will do coils when I find them, I scored on some 315/16 bfg, they are huge, no cutting , no rubbing either with these monsters. I love it
    Name:  4runner059.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  4runner056.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  63.5 KB
    Old 11-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
    Sorry if this has been addressed before,
    Can I run 35x12.5s with just BJ spacers and LC coils?
    And can I use BJ spacers and LC coils with an auto transmission?
    Thanks.
    Old 11-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
    Originally Posted by Crimson Yota
    Sorry if this has been addressed before,
    Can I run 35x12.5s with just BJ spacers and LC coils?
    And can I use BJ spacers and LC coils with an auto transmission?
    Thanks.

Yeah thats going to be a no. You can try but i would recomend a big hammer if you do. You are only going to go up 2 inchs then run 33s. you can almost run 33s stock but not if you offrroad. My rule of thumb is can it turn? can it turn if its stuffed? if not then no. I run 35s on mine and they dont rub at all but i have both the BJ spacers and a 4inch procomp lift for 6inchs total. The rear can hold 33s easy, but if you stuff a 35 in the rear into the wheel well while offroading it may get stuck or rip off tread or even the trim on your wheel well. you can pound that or cut it down to fit nicely but i never did and my 35s have been stuffed.

Yes you can run BJ spacers on a auto transmission, only thing that auto tranny needs to worry about is if the body is seperated from the tranny which only occurs during an body lift and they make an adapter for 50bucks.

Im not sure but when you say LC coils if you are refering to the old FJ coils then those are 3inchs of lift and bj spacer is 2 so you will get a high rear and need to do the torsion twist in front. Plus just two inchs your limiting straps in the rear will need to be changed, shocks and what not. If i was doing the bj spacer lift 4crawler makes a kit with both spacers in front and coil spacers in rear and its under 200$bucks.

The front IFS will not turn right with 35s, you will break allot of stuff. First get a new idler arm but buy moog and also get a new pitman and also get moog. they are not that expensive about 80-100 each but you will break them running 35s if you dont go to a better brand like moog. Spindles break easy and bend if offroading, cv joints get stressed. I still run the IFS setup and i dont mind it except for breaking all kinds of stuff every trip up. There is a (hell if i know technical name) sway bar of sorts in the rear of your yota also, its what keeps you level and if you lift the rear its angle changes and i would recomend a bracket for it. but literaly its a piece of metal the diamaters of a old wooden yardstick and its the amount of inchs you lift, you lift 4 its 4, you lift 2 make it a 2 inch bracket with two holes one on each end. easy to fabricate or available online.

If its money your trying to save, find a kit thats 800 by roughcountry. go up the 4inchs and forget the 2 inchs. it will yes cost more upfront but after all the stuff you end up replaceing becuase you dont have a proper kit its about the same. or just do a 3inch body and pay 50 extra dollars for the auto transmission extention plus gap gaurds which are just sheets of rubber you screw into frame so i recomend getting old innertubes and cut them up.

PS, when installing bj spacers replace the ball joints themselves (depending on year have fun on lower, if your 90 was built in early 89 compared to late 89 it uses two diffrent ball joints for lower) make sure you ask them to check the production year (located inside door on driver) so you can get the right balljoints. and you may have to grind the hole to squeze in the arm bracket. ive got a bunch of pics i can send if you wanted a walkthrough also. ive done both my lifts.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen 4runners lift guide