YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   2nd gen 4Runner hard starting (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/2nd-gen-4runner-hard-starting-55671/)

vhilts 03-31-2005 04:38 AM

2nd gen 4Runner hard starting

Noob here :baby: ... this forum is really impressive..hopefully you pros can give me some advice and help me to at least understand the problem so I don't get taken for a ride at the "(st)ealer". :pop:

Been driving "the Beast" less frequently (every other day or two since we're both getting long in the tooth ) and now having problems getting the old girl to start after a few days off.

Cranks strong but doesn't "catch" until 5 or 6 attempts and then she sputters and kicks until finally deciding to wake up...

So far, once she gets started and warmed up, she will start within seconds for the rest of the day without any problems...no problems driving either (no hesitation, low idle or stuttering at stops, etc)...

From reading the wealth of information on this board, I'm leaning cold start injector, TPS, coil, or igniter but don't know in what order to start testing and with what procedure. :dunno:

First, need help locating the cold start injector and the coil/igniter on my vehicle. I think I can find the TPS (around behind the throttle body?). Could O2 sensor be involved any way? It is original.

Battery like I said is strong and less than year old, so I'm leaning fuel or air.

Does that sound about right? Am I overlooking anything? battery, cables, plugs, wires, air & fuel filter all less than 2 years young... original most everything else though, so I guess I'm about due.

Appreciate any and all comments and again, thanks for the help.

Virg

ChickenLover 03-31-2005 05:45 AM

Personally, I would replace all the ignition components; plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil (all oem). FYI, your cold start injector is on the passenger side of your plenum (upper part of intake), look for a fuel line.

It wouldn't hurt to take your throttle body off and clean it. This doesn't sound like a TPS problem to me. Your air filter should be replaced with a K&N or amsoil, and should be cleaned every month or two. Have you checked the ignition timing lately?

Blair 03-31-2005 06:03 AM

Try this: When cranking for start, put the gas pedal to the floor, and hold it there. If it starts faster than before it's most likely a cold start circuit issue. Your sig doesn't state your location, but if it's cold where you are this would be a good place to start looking. Chickenlover's suggestion re: Ignition components is also good advice, especially if it's been a while since they've been replaced. I just did all of mine and noticed a huge improvement in starting and also in mileage. My first tank of fuel with the new components is about to get over 300 miles for a full tank of gas, compared to about 240-250. That may be a function of reduced warm-up times (It's getting warmer here in The Great White North) but I'm enjoying at least a 15% increase in mileage.

bike4miles 03-31-2005 01:08 PM

I had that problem and fixed it with some injector cleaner. It's worth a try for $5.

vhilts 03-31-2005 09:49 PM

thanks for all the inputs... I'm going to hit Pep boys/Autozone this weekend to pick up some injector cleaner since that needs to be anyway and then I'll check out the rest of the suggestions..I'll let you know what I find..

Adam F 09-04-2005 08:24 PM

Did you find anything? I'm having the EXACT same problem.

dusty98 09-23-2005 03:18 PM

When it finally does start does it blow black smoke for a few seconds? Like it's running rich? If so, it's probably your cold start injector. I had that same problem on my 90.

The cold start injector is on the passenger side of the intake, toward the top middle if I remember correctly. It's easy to get to.

Good luck!