YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   2nd Gen: 3.0/auto vs. 22re/5-speed (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/2nd-gen-3-0-auto-vs-22re-5-speed-69627/)

AgRunner06 10-17-2005 02:36 PM

2nd Gen: 3.0/auto vs. 22re/5-speed

Well as some of you may know I have sold my 4runner. The original plan was to get a 3rd gen but after looking at my finances, I may not be able to get into another payment :pop: . With gas prices and having to make up for a missing roommate, I'm stretched a little thin. So I've come up with some other ideas.

I've come across a '94 22re 5-speed w/122K miles. Now I've heard that the 22re/5-speed is similar in power to the 3.0/auto. Have any of you had any experiences with both?

I like the 22re much better than the 3.0. I just think it's a better engine. However I've never driven one. I would also much rather have a 5-speed.

Thanks for your input.

:great:

Elton 10-17-2005 03:25 PM

u can make a 22re have about the same power as the v6 with some bolts ons i would get the 5speed i have drivein my step dads truck with v6 and will its to slow for my taste my truck is pretty good

Keggo 10-17-2005 03:57 PM

I think it would be more than bolt ons to get the power of the 3.0 out of the 22re. I'm not saying it's a bad engine, because it's not. I think you should go with the 22re if you're concerned about gas prices. Plus it's a 5spd... auto trannies are for... well you know! hahahah

Toyota 4x 10-17-2005 04:39 PM

Only diff between the 3.0 and 22re is torque imo...if you upgrade the tires on each, you'll hurt more on the 22re....I've had all of the above though (3.0 Auto 4runner, 22re 5pd. 4x and 2x, and 5pd. 3.0 4x) and I'll take a 22re any day of the week over a 3.0...

DH6twinotter 10-17-2005 05:17 PM

I have a 4runner with a 3.0/auto and drove a P/U with 4x4, 22RE, 5spd, and 33" tires. The P/U really seemed to have more power climbing hills and keeping up to speed than my 4Runner. I just dropped the P/U in 4th and kept it at 60 the whole way up the hill. Normally, my auto 4runner would run in 3rd and barely stay at 55. I know my 4Runner is heavier, but I was pretty impressed with the P/U.

I've heard that a 22RE/5spd and 3.0/auto are pretty comparable too, although I agree that the 3.0 probably has better low end torque.

Well, just my $.02. Have fun all. :)
Daniel

YeloSub7 10-17-2005 05:33 PM

I have a 3.0 auto and my brother has a 22re 5 speed, both 2nd gens. Mine does have noticably more power, but his gets considerably better gas mileage. But like those have said before me, get the 4banger, cause even if you do want to wheel with it, regearing and some add ons will bring it close to the 3.0

AgRunner06 10-17-2005 06:15 PM

Yeah if I picked it up the least it would get is an intake mod, header, and exhaust. I'd like to do a cam too but I think that is going to be a little more pricey than I had originally thought.

I'm keeping my eye on it right now. My dad is going to try to see if he can get that money wired to me instead of taking that personal check.

Thanks guys. Keep the input coming.

:rockon:

03_4x4Runner 10-18-2005 02:43 PM

And if you ever want some more out of the 22re you can always give LC Engineeing a call, and get about as much power as you could want out of it.

Bumpin' Yota 10-18-2005 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
...Now I've heard that the 22re/5-speed is similar in power to the 3.0/auto. Have any of you had any experiences with both?

Um no. Ill race a 22re 5sd (stock top and bottom end/no FI no NO2) anytime...;) The last one I saw at the track was turning in high 20s. I need to put mine on and see if it will turn in an 18 as motor trend says it will...

Now fuel economy you will have to work your butt off to get good milage with the 3.0...the 22re and good fuel economy go hand in hand. The nice thing about the 3vze is it makes more torque at 1200rpm (150ftlbs) than the 22re does at peak output. Also the 3vze's torque curve is flat as a pancake! (a very good thing)

The 22re has a huge number of proven mods and many of them (read turbo) will far exceed a 3vze's output. But then again if you want you can turbo a 3vze and get a buttload of power more...so long as you use head studs, copper HGs, and better rods...the usual supporting mods.

AgRunner06 10-18-2005 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Um no. Ill race a 22re 5sd (stock top and bottom end/no FI no NO2) anytime...;) The last one I saw at the track was turning in high 20s. I need to put mine on and see if it will turn in an 18 as motor trend says it will...

Now fuel economy you will have to work your butt off to get good milage with the 3.0...the 22re and good fuel economy go hand in hand. The nice thing about the 3vze is it makes more torque at 1200rpm (150ftlbs) than the 22re does at peak output. Also the 3vze's torque curve is flat as a pancake! (a very good thing)

The 22re has a huge number of proven mods and many of them (read turbo) will far exceed a 3vze's output. But then again if you want you can turbo a 3vze and get a buttload of power more...so long as you use head studs, copper HGs, and better rods...the usual supporting mods.

High 20's...it's possible but I don't think it would be that bad. I doubt that yours or mine will turn 18s at the track. My guess is more like low 20's.

The only good thing about the torque curve on the 3.0 is when wheeling. I find it pretty crappy when it comes to driving on the road. Why? Because I spend almost no time around the torque peak which is about 2000rpms. This makes climing hills at highway speeds hard because the stupid thing has no torque. It's pretty annoying when I can't pull a hill at 70 but can do it at 50 provided the stupid auto tranny doesn't downshift. Yeah that torque curve is flat as a pancake after it drops off at about 2200rpms. I find the 3.0 horrible for traveling which is what I do the most of.

:soap:

phorunninduke 10-18-2005 09:32 PM

I love the 22re, having a fair shake at both i just like it better.

ThomasJ 10-19-2005 01:46 AM

I have driven both and the 3.0 is more powerful. If your 3.0 has less power than a 22re then it has problems. I have raced my friends 22re first gen and I can beat him easily. There really is no contest.

If your going for gas milage get the 22re. from what I have seen it gets about 4-5mpg better than my 95 3.0 runner.

Bumpin' Yota 10-20-2005 02:14 PM

High 20's...it's possible but I don't think it would be that bad. I doubt that yours or mine will turn 18s at the track. My guess is more like low 20's.

The only good thing about the torque curve on the 3.0 is when wheeling. I find it pretty crappy when it comes to driving on the road. Why? Because I spend almost no time around the torque peak which is about 2000rpms. This makes climing hills at highway speeds hard because the stupid thing has no torque. It's pretty annoying when I can't pull a hill at 70 but can do it at 50 provided the stupid auto tranny doesn't downshift. Yeah that torque curve is flat as a pancake after it drops off at about 2200rpms. I find the 3.0 horrible for traveling which is what I do the most of.

:soap:

Im not trying to be arguementative in any way but I personally watched this 2nd gen 4runner turn in consistant, low 20s, run after run. He never broke into the 19s....no v6 badges on it at all which tells me 22re... I should have raced him, that would have been funny! it would be like a real race, but in slowmotion!! LOL

But about the 3vze, it's peak torque is at 4200rpm. The engine doesnt drop below 150ftlbs of torqe from 1200 to 5200rpm according to toyota's graph. My truck seems to mirror this...its strongest from 3400rpm to about 4500rpm... On flat ground I can wind through 1st gear in about 9 seconds if I had to estimate it as I sit in front of the puter. 1st gear seems quite strong for this 2.5ton bohemouth...hehhe

Might want to give your 3vze a goood once over on maintainance. Certainly cant hurt. :) ok well might hurt the wallet...lol

ThomasJ 10-20-2005 05:40 PM

This has got me thinking. A friend of mine has a G-tech that will tell quarter mile times within 2/10s accuracy. I may have to give it a try in the runner and see what I can come up with. I have used it many times in my mustang and came up with very accuarte results when compared to track times.

gnr_70 10-21-2005 10:14 PM

Well as some of you may know I have sold my 4runner. The original plan was to get a 3rd gen but after looking at my finances, I may not be able to get into another payment :pop: . With gas prices and having to make up for a missing roommate, I'm stretched a little thin. So I've come up with some other ideas.

I've come across a '94 22re 5-speed w/122K miles. Now I've heard that the 22re/5-speed is similar in power to the 3.0/auto. Have any of you had any experiences with both?

I like the 22re much better than the 3.0. I just think it's a better engine. However I've never driven one. I would also much rather have a 5-speed.

Thanks for your input.

:great:

check my SIGNATURE....208K and counting (bonestock) :bigok: