Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re won't fire, gm module swap still won't run

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re won't fire, gm module swap still won't run

I have a '86 22re. My truck would drive a while and crap and die. A few trips later it started dying after idling 3secs. I decided to buy GM hei module and a coil. I wired it up and pulled a plug and its firing, fuel pumps new and I hear it running. It wont start up, just cranks away. The first time it fired off and tried to run but now nothing. Theres 2 spare plugs, small one round with 2 wires, and a larger one with 3 wires. I used the small one on thd firewall with 2 wires for the hot one. That wire is black with a white stripe. Whats the other wire for and the other plug coming from the starter area?

Yes I know, I need a Chiltons. Ill get one this weekend when I can get to a store.

Last edited by Thump; 08-21-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Whats all this crazy hei talk? And why.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:36 PM

It's the GM module and coil swap.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thump
It's the GM module and coil swap.
Okay Did that solve the issue?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM

As sound as someone replies to my thread with some help Ill post if it worked lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
We were just wondering why the HEI swap that's all, simple questions. If you want to keep it a secret then go for it. 'Ill move on and help someone else.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 PM

In stock at most all parts places. They can both be had for like $45, go price a Toyota ignitor, $200ish.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 PM

Did a little Googling, and found the problem. It wont work on a 22re only the 22r. Crap! Well, Ill leave this thread for future help. Its a great swap for a earlier 22. I need to get a book so I can find out why its dying.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Ready. Fire. Aim.

Try searching and researching BEFORE. It's cheaper and you'll live longer.

Your thread titles are useless too. At least make then relevant to your issue and you'll get mo betta help.

:wabbit2:
Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 AM

Googles arent always correct. I had a buddy last night tell me they did this swap on a 22re. I guess Ill try and research what the wires are Im not using.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Googles arent always correct. I had a buddy last night tell me they did this swap on a 22re. I guess Ill try and research what the wires are Im not using.
Everything your buddy tells you and are always true. What are you talking about?

:wabbit2:
Old 08-22-2012, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Try not to take this the wrong way..

So...you have a fuel problem (damper delete thread), an ignition problem (this thread), or both.

Searches are not to be trusted, and experienced posters are not to question why you are making the unconventional decisions you are making.

You have an expert friend advising you already.

Why post?

I'm a new guy here on these forums, admittedly, but a long time poster on other mechanical boards going back to the days of usenet.

This is a pretty classic pattern.

If you genuinely want help in life you need to stop talking long enough to listen.

Good luck with your truck.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM

I asked for help why my truck wont run and what these wires are for with no real help. A buddys cousin has the same truck same engine and did the swap Im doing. Id think a Toyota forum would have heard of this swap but apparently people are clueless on this mod. Heres the deal, wasnt getting it to run past 5 seconds so I started with the fuel. Ive done all that so that cant be it. The GM swap was thrown at me so because its cheap I decided to try it and see it thats the reason it dies from the getgo. I got a Chiltons and from a write up I did this but the RE has another plug from the pass side harness. The book says "to EFI computer". Now I have spark and pump does run but I crank and nothing happens. Now Id love some help, just people on here get testy. I dont do forums very good and dont always explain things to a T, but really need help.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Olive Branches

I'm going to try to help you. My answer will be very vague and general. You haven't given us a lot to work with.

I asked for help why my truck wont run and what these wires are for with no real help..
What wires? Do you have a picture? Can you tell us where the wires are? Are they under the hood, under the dash, along the firewall, near the coil, near the battery? Where? The more info you provide, the easier it is for us to help.

A buddys cousin has the same truck same engine and did the swap Im doing. Id think a Toyota forum would have heard of this swap but apparently people are clueless on this mod. .
Your buddy's cousin doesn't have the same truck you do. You said it yourself that this mod doesn't work on a 22re like you have. So if your buddy's cousins' neighbor's friend from highschool was successful he might not have a 22re. Also throwing a dig at the people you're asking for help doesn't work well.... just sayin'

Heres the deal, wasnt getting it to run past 5 seconds so I started with the fuel. Ive done all that so that cant be it. .
Okay you've done all what? You can hear the pump cycle on I take it. Does it stay on while you're cranking? Could it be a faulty AFM? If the AFM on top of the airbox doesn't sense airflow it doesn't kick on the pump. This saves you from filling you crankcase with gas. If you have the hard plastic intake runner unhooked, try propping the flap of the AFM open with a screwdriver and see if that gets you pumping.

The GM swap was thrown at me so because its cheap I decided to try it and see it thats the reason it dies from the getgo. I got a Chiltons and from a write up I did this but the RE has another plug from the pass side harness. The book says "to EFI computer". Now I have spark and pump does run but I crank and nothing happens. Now Id love some help, just people on here get testy. I dont do forums very good and dont always explain things to a T, but really need help.
Use one of the many links on this board for the Factory Service Manual. Chilton books are okay for other vehicles but absolutely horrid for our trucks. Plus way not use the original service manual for the dealers that was written by the people that built the truck.

Did this truck run at one time and quit, or did you come across it in a non-running condition? If it ran at some point recently then you should just be looking at a single part failure. I wouldn't jump in to redesigning something that a couple 100k people have had success with.

In general you need 3 things to make a motor run; air, fuel, and spark. Air shouldn't be a problem unless you blew the timing chain. You say you have spark; do you have spark at all four plugs? You said you don't have a running pump. Can you get the motor running off ether? Can you force the pump on through the diagnostic terminal? Again, the more you tell us, the more we help you.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM

I own three extra igniters and coils. Lemme know what model you need and we can make a deal.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM

I can start from day one. I do this from my cell so cant post pics yet, new cell. I dont see how I ever acted rude towards anyone lol. Day one, it was missing, wires, ignitor, and plugs were all new when I got it. I then cleaned a clogged tight injector and it ran great! I had a pump go out, talked to a PO two times back and he did a fuel pump last Feb. 16th, made a few calls and got one for free. I then noticed the rusty tank, cleaned it, new filters and all. It did fine, until the pulsation damper started leaking so I clogged it with JB Weld to get home with a fire. I parked it and did a rear locker, got it going and drove it a few blocks and it dies. I start it and each time gain a foot before it craps and dies. I let it sit for a few mins and it drove back home. It drives a few blocks and dies, let it sit and it goes a few more blocks. I took it down the highway and at speed it craps and I barely hit 45, drove 3 miles one way, hit town again and it craps and dies. It sit two mins and drove on home. I pull the tank and clean it and get the rust cake from it, new filters, pull injectors and do a seal kit on them, new gasket and now it wont run 5 secs. I now hit the gas and it does as before but I cant move it at all. So tanks cleaned good, and to the injectors, so I think its a spark problem, new igniters fail Im sure. A friends cousin has a 85 22re and did the swap so surely I could, but I may be wrong. If so I will swap back.

I got the truck a couple months ago, it was a crawler but I like maintaining a truck and drive it more than it sits. All I said was I was doing a GM coil swap, Im not the only toyota guy thats done it.

The green round 3 prong plug comes out of the intake between the runners in a main harness. The Chiltons said it was "To Efi computor but on the GM module and Coil I dont know where theyd go. I dont want to fry something so I got the book but it wont go into if they are hot all the time or what they are running. I havent seen how to check fuel pressure or how to test the AFM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:06 PM

Let's all help captain douche!

on a serious note im kinda intrigued by this HEI swap, is there any other benefit to it other than it being readily available and cheaper than a toyota ignitor? (provided it actually does work on a 22re)
Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 PM

sorry for the double post but.

quick 2 second search and voila. DOES NOT WORK ON 22RE

Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller
Hi guys
Well my igniter failed yet AGAIN (3rd time in my 85) and the dealer wants 457$ for it. I just can't stand it anymore! I had heard but never substanciated that an early GM module works in place of the overpriced Toyota igniter. I did some research and found that any HEI GM module with 4 pins will work and I went to Auto Zone and bought one for 16.95 brand new. It took about 2 hours and a soldering iron, 2 screws and 1 1000 ohm 1/4 watt resister and installed it in place of the old Toyota module inside the metal housing. Its a tight fit and I had to trim the contacts a bit but it fit. I plugged her in. My truck fired right up! Yeah, 16.95 instead if 457$. My tack even works. I think this only works on trucks with a carburator because the FI trucks need timing pulses too.
Paul R. Haller
1 85 toyota pick up
1 95 4 runner
2 2005 Prius'
Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Well, I guess thats a fail. I still have the new igniter so Ill just swap it back. Now, it was starting but still wont idle past 5 secs. Ill take the GM parts back or just keep as spares on my GM trucks.

So, anyone got a clue whats wrong given you understand my last post?

As for the douche comment thats cool. No doubt I may have been but never meant to be. I want to kinda enjoy this Toyota a little bit.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Better yet I have an 82 Ill do the GM swap on lol. 22R!

Quick Reply: 22re won't fire, gm module swap still won't run