Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re timing cover -> head gasket booboo...

Old 11-18-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
22re timing cover -> head gasket booboo...

So...I've been working on my truck in the evenings after work trying to address the timing chain slap that I'd been having. Anyways, I may have really screwed myself over last night while I was putting the timing cover back on. It was quite dark and I guess the t-cover snagged on the headgasket, causing it to wrinkle up. I guess it caught because I followed everyone's directions and put the oil pump drive gear on first (i'm assuming it would be a pain in the ass to get it on afterward) - well when you do that, you've got like zero room for play and the chances the gasket will snag goes up.

So anyways, I first tried straightening the HG back out, but I guess inside of the cork it has a metal band inside of it, which made it impossible to make flat again, so I ended up cutting off everything that would touch the t-cover (the exposed part). I put some extra FIPG on top of the t-cover, especially in the corners where the head/t-cover/block meet, hoping that it will create a seal.

Do you guys think this will be a sufficient fix or am I gonna have to take off my head and do the headgasket as well? I'm really not looking forward to that because then i'd have to take off the intake and exhaust manifolds. If I do end up having to take off the head, can I get away with just replacing the gasket or is it a necessity to take the head into a shop and have them do their thing?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah i was thinking i *might* be ok since the pressure is gonna be between the head and the block, not in the cavity where the t-chain is at. i didn't touch the head bolts, so the gasket that's clamped between the head and block should still be fully intact. i'll still cross my fingers though.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
info

I was just curious on how that turned out for you with not changing the head gasket. Cuz i just did the same thing and im really worried about it.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 PM

I am new to this but I would say it is probably in your best interest to do the headgasket unfortunately... I don't think I would want to trust that for anything more than a temporary fix. Like I said I am new to this and don't know a thing about FIPG, just my gut reaction would say no to any headgasket alteration. But hey if it is holding run with it I guess, who knows it could last forever lol
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sometimes people get away with the FIPG working, however it's only a bandaid. The right way to do a timing chain is to remove the head and oil pan and re-seal everything up...new FIPG on the oil pan and a new head gasket.

More work, but you would have peace of mind for another 100,000 miles.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 AM

When i did my cover, i removed the oil pan to give me a little more room. I did bend the headgasket a little but was able to lay it flat. Put a little sealent on it and it has been good ever since.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That area of the headgasket only seals oil in the timing cover. A good, clean application of FIPG or Permatex Grey is quite sufficient, and there's nothing to worry about. It's not a band aid, either. (Sorry, Snobdds ) It's nothing short of sealing a diff cover or oil pan, really. Worst case scenario, you leak some oil around the timing cover and have to reseal it.....which is pain. So, do the sealant well the first time and let it cure before running the engine.

Furthermore, if you went through the proper procedure to install and fasten the head making sure there's no chance of uneven compression on the head bolts, the head gasket will seal the water jackets just fine despite the timing cover portion disturbance.

A friend of mine, and very respected pro mechanic, always only did this method on routine, maintenance timing chain replacements. As well, when I first got my 22re/4rnr, I had a head Toyota mechanic replace the timing chain ass'y and that's all he did; chop the TC portion of the gasket off clean and install the kit sealing the head with FIPG. Held up for years until the TC kit needed replacing, again. Next time it needs replacing, that's all I will do.

The only real reason the head gasket is one piece is because you can't make two seperate gaskets for it due to the engine design. There's no proper mating surface for a solid/seperate gasket on the TC or for the TC once the head's mated to the cylinder block. IOW's, the gasket would have to be kinda of a "C" shape, and that won't do for a couple of reasons.

Last edited by thook; 12-23-2011 at 10:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BMarino (11-07-2019)