Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re questions. Winch/alternator questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re questions. Winch/alternator questions?

Ok. Im on my 3rd 22re. Previous 2 engines spun rod bearings. 1st one did not get hot. Second engine did get hot before bearing spun. I jus finished installing 3rd engine. All 3 engines have had new timing set,water pump and oil pump. These are used engines I picked up via craigslist. Most current has 130k with new head gasket. Ive only ran it a couple hrs total. Im paranoid lol. Any suggestions to make this thing last? I do not mud or generally work the truck hard. Ive owned the truck 2 yrs. I bet I havent drove it 10k miles.

My 2nd question invlolves my winch. I use it sometimes to move firewood logs and rescue people that are hung up. My alternator does not like winch usage at all. Do I need a bigger/separate alternator? Maybe a 2nd battery? I do have extra exterior lights also but they arent currently hooked up. Thanks
Old 01-31-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug4320
Ok. Im on my 3rd 22re. Previous 2 engines spun rod bearings. 1st one did not get hot. Second engine did get hot before bearing spun. I jus finished installing 3rd engine. All 3 engines have had new timing set,water pump and oil pump. These are used engines I picked up via craigslist. Most current has 130k with new head gasket. Ive only ran it a couple hrs total. Im paranoid lol. Any suggestions to make this thing last? I do not mud or generally work the truck hard. Ive owned the truck 2 yrs. I bet I havent drove it 10k miles.

My 2nd question invlolves my winch. I use it sometimes to move firewood logs and rescue people that are hung up. My alternator does not like winch usage at all. Do I need a bigger/separate alternator? Maybe a 2nd battery? I do have extra exterior lights also but they arent currently hooked up. Thanks
As for motor: make used motor is had to tell condition and life it lived before you. You can control oil that goes into it. These motors are older and need a higher zinc (ZDDP) content oil than newer motors. Zinc was one of the oil additives reduced in oil to improve emissions by "increasing catalytic converter life. Only a hand full of oils that have it.

alternator and winch: stock alternator only puts out 60amps or so. Winches use lots of power. So easy to over tax your electric system; be it winch, or lights, or whatever electrical accessory you are using. But for winching specific no you don't necessarily need a new alt or battery if you understand how it works & still the case if you do upgrade your battery and alt. The battery is like an electrical bank account. The alt is like a paycheck/direct deposit. The winch or any load is like a drain on you bank account so buying truck parts. So your deposits are more when you work more which pays the most around 2000rpm but only pays 60amps at most. But if your running at idle it's like having your hours cut, there's still a despising but not max. So just like your bank account you have to pay some bills to live; can't just spend everything you make on truck parts (if you live at home or someone else pays your cost of living bare with me for point of my explanation). Your winch will use varying amounts of depending on amount of load and what layer of wrap on drum is being worked on. So like truck parts they all cost some just more than others. But you don't have a credit card, overdraft protection, or parents to bail you out if you overdraw. So you can use stock alt and battery but need to get RPMs up to about 2000 and reduce all other electric draws like headlights, stereo, blower motor.... and take breaks to give alternator the chance catch up to drain on battery. Then winch some more. You can use a snatch block to reduce but increases distance. Really even with upgraded alternator and battery you still need to do this. If using a regular lead acid starting battery if you drain it to low you'll tear up the battery and you can burn up an alternator as well. So I still do this with a larger alternator and a large dual cycle AGM battery.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
As for motor: make used motor is had to tell condition and life it lived before you. You can control oil that goes into it. These motors are older and need a higher zinc (ZDDP) content oil than newer motors. Zinc was one of the oil additives reduced in oil to improve emissions by "increasing catalytic converter life. Only a hand full of oils that have it.

iude

I
alternator and winch: stock alternator only puts out 60amps or so. Winches use lots of power. So easy to over tax your electric system; be it winch, or lights, or whatever electrical accessory you are using. But for winching specific no you don't necessarily need a new alt or battery if you understand how it works & still the case if you do upgrade your battery and alt. The battery is like an electrical bank account. The alt is like a paycheck/direct deposit. The winch or any load is like a drain on you bank account so buying truck parts. So your deposits are more when you work more which pays the most around 2000rpm but only pays 60amps at most. But if your running at idle it's like having your hours cut, there's still a despising but not max. So just like your bank account you have to pay some bills to live; can't just spend everything you make on truck parts (if you live at home or someone else pays your cost of living bare with me for point of my explanation). Your winch will use varying amounts of depending on amount of load and what layer of wrap on drum is being worked on. So like truck parts they all cost some just more than others. But you don't have a credit card, overdraft protection, or parents to bail you out if you overdraw. So you can use stock alt and battery but need to get RPMs up to about 2000 and reduce all other electric draws like headlights, stereo, blower motor.... and take breaks to give alternator the chance catch up to drain on battery. Then winch some more. You can use a snatch block to reduce but increases distance. Really even with upgraded alternator and battery you still need to do this. If using a regular lead acid starting battery if you drain it to low you'll tear up the battery and you can burn up an alternator as well. So I still do this with a larger alternator and a large dual cycle AGM battery.
i use rotella 15w40 because we have a 55 gallon drum if it for the farm tractors. Not sure how much zinc is in it. The tractors are from the 50s-90s though. You say you do run a bigger alternator?
Old 01-31-2017, 05:06 PM

i use rotella 15w40 because we have a 55 gallon drum if it for the farm tractors. Not sure how much zinc is in it. The tractors are from the 50s-90s though. You say you do run a bigger alternator?
i use rotella T6, I like synthetics. But has higher zinc. T5 is a synthetic blend and T3 or T4 is dino oil. Should be fine.

if you take it easy on length of time winch is run so you don't drain battery too much to damage. Then give it time for alternator to charge it back up. Should be fine for a awhile. I swapped to a CS130 GM alternator and a large dual cycle (deep cycle and starting) battery and on long hard pull take their toll. I can watch the voltmeter drop and have had charge like come on. So I pause on winch to give system a chance to catch up. Winching will kill a starter battery is drained too much, thinner plates.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:05 PM

Thanks for your replies
Old 01-31-2017, 06:41 PM

Thanks for your replies
hope it helps. I'm not know all be all winch guy. Have been using one since 2008. An upgraded Yota alternator is spendy. The GM swap require splicing in GM pigtail, I'm not a fan of the one-wire setup. The swap bracket broke, no biggie just re-welded it. I have used my winch to pull more friends out than myself. But boy when I needed it I was glad it was there.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:34 AM

It does help thank you!. The truck had a winch on it when I got it. Its just a harbor freight winch but it does work well.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Like was mentioned you'll get the maximum amps from the alternator about 1500-2000 rpm. A second battery system will do wonders also, however a cheaper short term fix would probably be to increase the wire size for your winch being a lower priced model it's not going to have great wires. And finally make sure the winch is well maintained, clean and well lubricated.