YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   22re problems (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/22re-problems-205565/)

KenWolf350 02-26-2010 08:34 PM

22re problems

i need help.. i was working on my 87 22re and it was cranking and turning over fine but wont idol (shuts off after about 5 seconds) and i sprayed some starting fluid in it and it ran fine and kept it running for about 10 secs with starting fluid and it shut off and now it wont crank and nothing comes on, i checked all the fuses and they are good so what elese could it be? any ideas will be appreciated

toyminator2000 02-26-2010 08:36 PM

alternator maybe. if it drained the battery there may not have been enough juice to power the computer and fuel injection.

KenWolf350 02-26-2010 08:43 PM

lol well thought the same but already tested the alternator its good and the battery has a great charge on it

xxxtreme22r 02-26-2010 08:45 PM

Vaccuum leak?

KenWolf350 02-26-2010 08:45 PM

hmm just thought of this but i dont know could the fuse pannel be bad? or not getting power

KenWolf350 02-26-2010 08:47 PM

hmm i have to check the vacuum lines

xxxtreme22r 02-26-2010 08:48 PM

will it only start with starter fluid or will it only run with starter fluid?

abecedarian 02-26-2010 08:49 PM

Do you have the intake duct connected between the throttle body and air-flow meter / air filter?

abecedarian 02-26-2010 08:51 PM

I should read more. :think:

So now it doesn't crank over at all, no lights on the dash, no nothing?

KenWolf350 02-26-2010 08:51 PM

it starts by gas after a few cranks but wont run for long but easier with starting fluid when it did start and it kept running as long as i sprayed it but would run and shut off after a few seconds of not spraying

KenWolf350 02-26-2010 08:53 PM

lol yea its all connected but yes no lights, no dash lights but only fuel pump kicks on

milehigheric 02-26-2010 09:17 PM

Your first problem sounds like a bad VAFM or failing COR. Whilst cranking (key to start) the fuel pump receives its power from the COR triggered by the ignition switch. After cranking is finished (key returned to start) the fuel pump receives power from the COR triggered by the VAFM. If the VAFM is failing or the VAFM side of the dual coil COR is failing the fuel pump will shut off after cranking and your engine will splutter to a stop.

But now It wont crank (starter motor does not engage) and nothing comes on (not sure exactly what you mean, but I will assume you have no power anywhere) then you have bigger issues. If you have lost power to everything, start at the bottom of the tree...battery > battery post connections > fusabile link > fuse box etc etc....

KenWolf350 02-26-2010 09:23 PM

ok i have to look in to the vafm and cor but yes no power anywhere, and ill have to look and check the fuseabile links, but maybe a bad ignition switch?

milehigheric 02-27-2010 12:36 AM

Does your horn or hazards work? They both receive constant 12V independent of the ignition switch. If you dont have power there it has to be battery, or fuse box connection issues. Cleaning your terminals is always a good start

KYrust 03-29-2010 03:55 AM

Hey Guys, new to the forum and trying to search for similar problems before starting new threads. One of these answers might just be what I am looking for. Not only new to Yota Tech, but new to Toyota also. I have a 85 22re and the only way I can get it to run is to stick a hot wire straight from the battery to the fuel pump. Runs great that way, but if I plug the factory wire back in it will only run for a second and then shut off. I can hear the fuel pump Kick on when turning the key, so something is telling it to shut off after starting. would that be the COR and VAFM mentioned above? And what/where are those? Thanks.

abecedarian 03-29-2010 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by KenWolf350 (Post 51377879)
ok i have to look in to the vafm and cor but yes no power anywhere, and ill have to look and check the fuseabile links, but maybe a bad ignition switch?

A bad ignition switch wouldn't cause things like the hazard lights to not work.

abecedarian 03-29-2010 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by KYrust (Post 51405096)
Hey Guys, new to the forum and trying to search for similar problems before starting new threads. One of these answers might just be what I am looking for. Not only new to Yota Tech, but new to Toyota also. I have a 85 22re and the only way I can get it to run is to stick a hot wire straight from the battery to the fuel pump. Runs great that way, but if I plug the factory wire back in it will only run for a second and then shut off. I can hear the fuel pump Kick on when turning the key, so something is telling it to shut off after starting. would that be the COR and VAFM mentioned above? And what/where are those? Thanks.

The COR is inside, behind the kick panel on the right side of the cab, above the ECU. The VAFM is that device setting on top of the air filter.

A.Wilson013 03-29-2010 04:47 AM

OP, check the AM1 fuse again under the hood, and ENG one in the cab. Just to make me happy =)

Do your headlights work?

Rusted Rooster 04-07-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by KYrust (Post 51405096)

did you find out your prob?

tried4x2signN 04-07-2010 07:13 PM

shuts off after about 5 seconds is almost always AFM not plugged in...

happens to ppl all the time, I know I've done it...