Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re, oil cooler, and other benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
22re, oil cooler, and other benefits?

I'm contemplating selling my truck or rebuilding it. I'm leaning more towards getting a new engine for it, but I have some questions on making it last and performing its best. First off, I would definitely start off with the best oil possible. Royal Purple or just a good brand of synthetic oil.

Would an oil cooler do anything at all to an engine to help it? I've read online it makes the oil last longer, but what other benefits would it provide?

Aside from an oil cooler, what other after market stuff would help make the engine last? I'm not looking for things like tornadoes or ECU chips, just stuff like parts or proven fluids that will be of top quality and make the engine last.

-edit-
I should also add that stock toyota parts are a given. The oil filters I buy will come straight from toyota. Coolant as well.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 12-05-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave
I'm contemplating selling my truck or rebuilding it. I'm leaning more towards getting a new engine for it, but I have some questions on making it last and performing its best. First off, I would definitely start off with the best oil possible. Royal Purple or just a good brand of synthetic oil.

Would an oil cooler do anything at all to an engine to help it? I've read online it makes the oil last longer, but what other benefits would it provide?

Aside from an oil cooler, what other after market stuff would help make the engine last? I'm not looking for things like tornadoes or ECU chips, just stuff like parts or proven fluids that will be of top quality and make the engine last.

-edit-
I should also add that stock toyota parts are a given. The oil filters I buy will come straight from toyota. Coolant as well.
An oil cooler will help the oil last longer and will help remove some heat from the engine, it may not be a lot but it will help. Otherwise just use toyota parts to rebuild the engine and it should last a long time. Also a good header and exhaust would make a nice improvement
Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just curious would you be running a oil stat with your oil cooler??

Since I change all my oil at or before 3000 miles I can`t see any gain with synthetic oils that and change the coolant once a year.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by razed
wouldn't using an oil rated for the temps be better than trying to lower the oil temp?
That's sort of why I'm inquiring why an oil cooler would even be needed. It seems kind of redundant. If you 1) use quality oils that last and 2) use oils appropriate for the application, no oil cooler should be necessary.

I'm not looking to rebuild my current engine (unless I can find a place around here to do it quickly within a reasonable price range.) I was looking at buying a crate engine and then swapping it in over the course of a weekend.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
just get a longblock from someone and swap it in over a weekend. i'm sure you can find some that are local or at least in your state. seems like the best and most economical choice unless you've got time to rebuild it yourself. plus even w/o an oil cooler on it, with a fresh engine you'll be at peace of mind for quite a while. i wouldn't even bother with the expensive oil either. 22re's are already proven to last several 100k with dino fluids and minor attention. you could always add an oil cooler later on as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
just get a longblock from someone and swap it in over a weekend. i'm sure you can find some that are local or at least in your state. seems like the best and most economical choice unless you've got time to rebuild it yourself. plus even w/o an oil cooler on it, with a fresh engine you'll be at peace of mind for quite a while. i wouldn't even bother with the expensive oil either. 22re's are already proven to last several 100k with dino fluids and minor attention. you could always add an oil cooler later on as well.
x2 on that. just make sure if you swap it, the motor you're getting is the same type (ie- 22re vs 22rec)
Old 12-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just curious would you be running a oil stat with your oil cooler??

Since I change all my oil at or before 3000 miles I can`t see any gain with synthetic oils that and change the coolant once a year.
you see the point of expensive/synthetic oil to increase oil change intervals, i see it as increasing lubricity in the engine and causing less wear and tear on the engine. I am also not saying to go out and buy 10 dollar per quart oil either. I use Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w-40, diesel oil in the wintertime and it works great. keeps the engine clean because of the extra detergents for dealing with soot and it has great start-up properties. In the summer i use Shell Rotella T, the non-synthetic motor oil. Again, great stuff, but is a 15w-40 which is better for the warmer temps. very clean, and it is pretty cheep.

The Rotella T6 is like 23 bucks a gallon, so just under 6 bucks a quart, and the Rotella t non synthetic is like 14 bucks a gallon. it is exceptional protection a good price.

Good luck on your rebuild!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
New engine, new radiator. I put an oil cooler on my 280z years ago, when it had 126k on it. You could drive 3,000 miles, pull the dipstick out and the oil still would be as clean as the day of an oil change.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you do add an oil cooler to the system, make sure it's thermostatically controlled. Oil that's too cold is just as bad as oil that's too hot. There's an efficient operating temperature range that you should stay between.