YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   22RE Noise: Help a fellow owner figure this out (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/22re-noise-help-fellow-owner-figure-out-294242/)

Old Red 94 03-26-2016 02:22 PM

22RE Noise: Help a fellow owner figure this out

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Im hoping someone can help me figure out what is going on with my engine. Its a 22RE that has been babied its entire life. Engine still pulls really well, as I can do 75-80 on the highway no problem right around 3-3.5k rpm. Its always had a little clicking noise, but I know that is normal with these engines. lately it has been getting louder. I have adjusted valves multiple times (both hot and cold) and checked the timing chain, as that was my first fear, but it checked out fine. I'm wondering if what I am hearing is a worn out valve train, or wrist pin issues? It definitely seems louder underneath the truck than on top. I plan to rebuild it this summer with a new head and cam from Engnbldr, and get the short block rebuilt, as I might as well if I am doing the head on up.

Here's a video.

Help me figure out whats going on with my truck.

wyoming9 03-26-2016 02:37 PM

Hard to tell where noises come from

With all the valve adjusting did you over tighten the valve cover nuts ??

Making then to tight will make the sewing machine noise

You did have the cam in the correct position to start your valve adjustment??

Nuts coming loose after adjustment ??

Truth be told I adjust the valves when I get the vehicle unless the head comes off I most likely never touch them again

Old Red 94 03-26-2016 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52314761)
Hard to tell where noises come from

With all the valve adjusting did you over tighten the valve cover nuts ??

Making then to tight will make the sewing machine noise

You did have the cam in the correct position to start your valve adjustment??

Nuts coming loose after adjustment ??

Truth be told I adjust the valves when I get the vehicle unless the head comes off I most likely never touch them again

I did double check the valve cover nuts. I had the engine running and backed them off to loose and then hand tightened them, and there was no change. I should add that I did replace the adjuster screws and nuts when I did the adjustment. I would be surprised if the nuts came loose because I really tightened them down.

osv 03-26-2016 04:31 PM

it almost sounds like both an exhaust leak and some clicking under the valve cover.

you can use a stethoscope on the valve cover to listen for noise, or even just a broomstick that's been cut off.

you should be able to feel for an exhaust leak when the motor is stone cold, right at the junction where the downpipe meets the exhaust manifold, but be careful, you only have a few seconds before it gets too hot.

run a compression check if you are nervous, maybe put a vacuum gauge on it at idle.