Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE No Oil Pressure after oil pan gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE No Oil Pressure after oil pan gasket replacement

I read elsewhere that you may need to prime the pump. How do you do that?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 PM

I have had my oil pressure sensor wire have a bad connection before and would read no oil pressure don't know if that would be it or not.... not really anyway to prime a 22re
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is that all you did was just remove the pan and replace the gasket? Did you remove the pickup at all? There should be enough oil in the system so it wont need primed, usually when you prime an oil pump it is when you just rebuilt the engine so oil is not throughout the system already. The only way that you could prime it is by turning the oil pump, but like I said, you should be good, how do you know there is no oil pressure? Is the engine knocking when you start it? How long has it ran since you did the gasket?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you put oil back in? just to double check
Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
How are you determining lack of oil pressure?

And x2 on making sure you put oil in and x2 on checking the oil pressure sender connection, if using the stock sender and light/gauge. I found that about half the time I touched my filter or pan, I knocked the sender wire loose and gauge read 0 psi. I have subsequently torn the connector apart and re-bent the brass inside to fit tighter and have had no issues since. This is with the factory gauge sender with the heavy rubber boot over it. Problem is there is no way to see the connection with the boot installed, so you basically need to pull it off, re-install the connector then slide the boot over the top.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 PM

Yes. Oil was put back in.

Originally "gasket maker" was installed on the oil pan and it still leaked so the seller installed a gasket. It had oil pressure before the gasket was installed and now it does not.

Last edited by Landlockt; 04-20-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: clarification of who was doing the work
Old 04-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Landlockt
Yes. Oil was put back in.

I originally tried "gasket maker" on the oil pan and it still leaked so I did it the correct way and installed the gasket. It had oil pressure before I installed the gasket and now it does not.
Actually RTV is the correct way according to Toyota, you still have not answered the question of how you are determining that it has no oil pressure.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:07 PM

No oil pressure at dash gauge.

All that was done was pull the pan and reinstall so I am assuming the sending unit wasn't damaged.

And yes I know what they say about assumptions.

Can you use a compression tester to test the oil pressure?

p.s. This is actually a truck that is for sale. I haven't done any of the work.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
No oil pressure at dash gauge.

All that was done was pull the pan and reinstall so I am assuming the sending unit wasn't damaged.

And yes I know what they say about assumptions.

Can you use a compression tester to test the oil pressure?

p.s. This is actually a truck that is for sale. I haven't done any of the work.
Check the sender and the wire connection there. Don't just look at it, pull the wire off, make sure the connection is clean, then push the connector back on the terminal of the sender.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

The wire is very easy to bump with the pan and lose connection like already stated, just look at it real quick, pull the rubber boot back and make sure that it is connected, it is located right in front of the oil filter. A compression tester is not going to tell you anything about oil pressure and if it really has no oil pressure, you don't want to do a compression test as the rods will be spinning on the crank with no lube.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by James Woods
The wire is very easy to bump with the pan and lose connection like already stated, just look at it real quick, pull the rubber boot back and make sure that it is connected, it is located right in front of the oil filter. A compression tester is not going to tell you anything about oil pressure and if it really has no oil pressure, you don't want to do a compression test as the rods will be spinning on the crank with no lube.
What I meant was; can you use a compression tester to test oil pressure by pulling the sending unit out and screwing in the compression tester?

I don't think you can, because a compression tester meant for engine pressure probably wouldn't have a low enough reading to test oil pressure.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i wouldnt think a compression tester would work..air pressure and liquid pressure would be different right? you can buy an oil pressure guage and do the exact same thing
Old 04-20-2011, 02:32 PM

If there really is no oil pressure, would performing an oil pressure test be potentially harmful to the motor?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
unplug the coil wire and just crank it...let it crank over for a good 10 sec i think for it to build up some pressure it wont be as much as at idle but at least ull know it has some
Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM

With is a best case/worst case scenario?

Best case: loose connection at sending unit

Worst case: ???

BTW. Thanks for everyone's time.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Worst case is that you may have got something in the oil pan like old RTV and it is clogging the pickup, thats all that I can think of if all you did was take the pan off and on other than a sending unit issue.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by James Woods
Worst case is that you may have got something in the oil pan like old RTV and it is clogging the pickup, thats all that I can think of if all you did was take the pan off and on other than a sending unit issue.
^X2^

Ive seen this many a times before.

I dont like using RTV gasekts, i will make my own gasket before I use RTV only on an oil pan. I will use a thin layer to bond the gasket in place for install only.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM

I know this is an old thread but I have the exact same problem. I replaced my front third and while it was out I replaced the leaky oil pan gasket. Now on startup my 22re has no oil pressure and a weird sound for 15to 30 seconds. I bought a new pickup tube and when I have a chance I will tear my truck apart and see if I can fix it, but until then any ideas did I damage the oil pickup, clog it, f something else up?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 PM

Cool prime 22 RE oil pump

I read elsewhere that you may need to prime the pump. How do you do that?
Although this REALLY late, once the oil pump is bolted in take half an aluminum can or like material, cut the can in half and place the tip of it in the void around the crank shaft you can poor oil into the void until it runs out. this wilfill the lower pump cavity with oil and it will pull oil from the pan faster. worked for me.

93 toy 4x4 extra cab 285000 miles