Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE loping idle fix

Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qdude79
Would it work the same if I just pinched the line with some pliers?
probably best to take the vac hose off.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Have you tried disconnecting the brake booster vacuum line and plugging it with your finger to see if the BB is bad?
i just tried that a minute ago but it had no effect.

oddly enough turning the idle air bypass screw all the way in to the right and turning the air condition on full blast magically stops the problem.

this is so confusing i don't even know where to begin. something is F.U.B.A.R and is causing lots of problems some where some way some how .
Old 09-19-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CChudalla
I know this is a old post and this might be a stupid question but I just took iff my TB and cleaned it and i IACV really well now does the IACV use pressure or temp to close the valve i'm just makeing sure this is my first toyota and i've only owned her for about a week and a half i am haveing the same problem u were and i have tried everything that i and almost anyone else could think of
Technically, uses temp. After the engine's been running a while, the valve closes and lowers the idle. Nothing about it is pressure related, except the spring that closes the valve, and even it responds to temps. Think of it like a thermostat for air flow but in reverse- when cold the air flows, when hot the air flows not.

Originally Posted by Junkers88
It uses coolant (temp).
Not always.
Up to / through 88 (IIRC) / and some in between, the idle air control was external to the throttle body and was electrically heated. When the intake and throttle body changed in 89/90 to become horizontal instead of the down-turned TB of the earlier design, the auxillary air valve (as it came to be named) became coolant heated.

Both of these give you some indications for troubleshooting- high idle driving around town but after a few high-speed miles down the freeway and it idles lower... likely thermal transfer has closed the valve resulting in lower idle speeds. In the case of the IAV, then it's likely the IAV isn't getting the voltage to heat the coil or it is actually stuck. In the case of the AAC, coolant flow may be obstructed and the simple fact that at speed, the engine generates heat and the heat is being conducted to the valve which is in turn closing the valve and lowering the idle may be the issue. If letting the engine set idling for 30 minutes results in the idle speed creeping back up... you may have found your culprit.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-19-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:37 PM

Man, I took the intake tube off the the throttle body, taped over the hole for the IAC (yes, the right one), it eliminated my high idle (cold), but I STILL have my idle adjust screw all the way in!

Tried the brake booster line, checks out fine....
Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 AM

Update: good news!

A little background first... as posted above, I taped over the inlet from the IAC valve to the throttle body bore, thinking that it never fully shut at normal operating temperature. Wanted to try this, as it occurred to me that if it in fact wasn't, that would be unmetered or unaccounted for air by the AFM and possibly screwing up my mixture by the ECU.

I think I may have been right.

Upon plugging the IAC inlet, I noticed what I "thought" was a lighter pedal from a stop and at cruising speed. Knowing that it could be wishful thinking, I decided to fill the tank and compare mpg's. Although I've never been one to track down to the milliliter, I've consistently gotten between 17 and 18 mpgs under normal driving conditions (no towing, typical commuting during the week). And yes, this is corrected for tire size, gearing, and I've used GPS to get a more accurate speedometer reading. In fact, I've been so consistent in these numbers since I started driving this thing over a year ago that I've often thought "why bother" to calculate at the pump, but my OCD arse always does...

Anyhow, finished my first tank last night and filled up: ~19.8 mpg's. This is with a rough estimate of 60/40 highway/city driving, no A/C on the way in the morning, A/C full blast on the way home in the afternoon. Although I know that how you drive on one tank is ALWAYS different to a small degree than how/where you drive on the next, I'm confident that my habits were as "normal" as could be. The ONLY difference was that piece of tape over the IAC inlet. I'll be tracking this current tank as well.

Might want to try it if you suspect similar, can't hurt. Tape always comes off!

PS- To be sure the tape didn't get sucked into the TB, I ran a piece length-wise over the inlet, then OUTSIDE THE TB, folded over, so that when I reinstalled the inlet tube and clamped it, it would clamp the tape as well.

Gonna test a few more tanks for consistency, then try to figure a more permanent solution to the leaky IAC if the trend continues.

Thoughts??
Old 09-24-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A little background first... as posted above, I taped over the inlet from the IAC valve to the throttle body bore, thinking that it never fully shut at normal operating temperature. Wanted to try this, as it occurred to me that if it in fact wasn't, that would be unmetered or unaccounted for air by the AFM and possibly screwing up my mixture by the ECU.

Upon plugging the IAC inlet, I noticed what I "thought" was a lighter pedal from a stop and at cruising speed. Knowing that it could be wishful thinking, I decided to fill the tank and compare mpg's. Although I've never been one to track down to the milliliter, I've consistently gotten between 17 and 18 mpgs under normal driving conditions (no towing, typical commuting during the week). And yes, this is corrected for tire size, gearing, and I've used GPS to get a more accurate speedometer reading. In fact, I've been so consistent in these numbers since I started driving this thing over a year ago that I've often thought "why bother" to calculate at the pump, but my OCD arse always does...

Anyhow, finished my first tank last night and filled up: ~19.8 mpg's. This is with a rough estimate of 60/40 highway/city driving, no A/C on the way in the morning, A/C full blast on the way home in the afternoon. Although I know that how you drive on one tank is ALWAYS different to a small degree than how/where you drive on the next, I'm confident that my habits were as "normal" as could be. The ONLY difference was that piece of tape over the IAC inlet. I'll be tracking this current tank as well.

PS- To be sure the tape didn't get sucked into the TB, I ran a piece length-wise over the inlet, then OUTSIDE THE TB, folded over, so that when I reinstalled the inlet tube and clamped it, it would clamp the tape as well.

Gonna test a few more tanks for consistency, then try to figure a more permanent solution to the leaky IAC if the trend continues.

Thoughts??
I'm having a hard time picturing this in my mind. Do you happen to have a picture? My rig still idles high as all get out when it's cold and has recently started idling at around 650rpms when warm. I suspect the IACV thingy.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Thought about that when I discovered the numbers at the pump last night and thought to post it. Will get those for you soon...

In the meantime, I'll try to describe.

With the opening of the TB exposed, I basically took the electrician's equivalent of duct tape and cut about a six inch piece (standard duct tape width). Length-wise, I took one end of that piece and covered the IAC inlet. The remainder was sticking out of the TB (about three inches). Took that remainder and folded it UNDER, sticking it to the OUTSIDE of the TB inlet. Put the inlet hose back on and clamped it, thus clamping the folded part of the tape on the outside of the TB in place, as well.

Unless the suction of the TB is enough to rip large electrical tape (that I can't tear by hand), that sucker's going nowhere. Only potential problem I foresee is the sticky part of the tape over the inlet losing it's adhesion over time and not sealing the inlet. If the numbers at the pump continue, I'll be looking for a more permanent (and less okie) solution.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:26 PM

Thought about that when I discovered the numbers at the pump last night and thought to post it. Will get those for you soon...

In the meantime, I'll try to describe.

With the opening of the TB exposed, I basically took the electrician's equivalent of duct tape and cut about a six inch piece (standard duct tape width). Length-wise, I took one end of that piece and covered the IAC inlet. The remainder was sticking out of the TB (about three inches). Took that remainder and folded it UNDER, sticking it to the OUTSIDE of the TB inlet. Put the inlet hose back on and clamped it, thus clamping the folded part of the tape on the outside of the TB in place, as well.

Unless the suction of the TB is enough to rip large electrical tape (that I can't tear by hand), that sucker's going nowhere. Only potential problem I foresee is the sticky part of the tape over the inlet losing it's adhesion over time and not sealing the inlet. If the numbers at the pump continue, I'll be looking for a more permanent (and less okie) solution.
Got it! Man that is a crazy easy way to find out if my IACV is really the culprit. I think I'll be going outside here in a while to try the "IACV Tape Mod".

Thanks!!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 PM

"IACV Tape Mod"

I like it!

Hey, maybe I'll finally CONTRIBUTE something to Yotatech instead of take, take, take...!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:17 PM

"IACV Tape Mod"

I like it!

Hey, maybe I'll finally CONTRIBUTE something to Yotatech instead of take, take, take...!
You laugh all you want, if it works I'm going to put that mod in my signature.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:51 PM

Thoughts??
i might give that a try if i have anymore problems with mine.

but like i said in my last post for some odd reason when the ac is on full blast the idle returns to normal but i have read that when the ac is on the computer takes over control of the idle. so i guess it's true.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:07 AM

"IACV Tape Mod"

I like it!

Just to give you an update. I tried the IACV Tape Mod and the truck wouldn't even idle when it's cold. So I'll be looking into something else that may be causing some minor idle issues.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:17 AM

Sorry to hear that, must be different issues. To update also, my second tank also showed ~19mpgs. Still an improvement! Looking forward to a tank or two with no AC, now that it's starting to cool here. Mine causes a VERY noticable drag on the wee 4 banger...
Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 AM

well after about 6 months of trying to figure out what is causing my high idle i have decided to call it quits throw in the towel and let the truck win.

she is now up for sale $2100 on craigslist.

it really needs more work done to it than i can afford right now so i think it will be for the best. after all i can always buy another yota.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:45 PM

i have a 1989 toyota truck 22re it is running very bad at idle loping and stalling when take off. I have changed the tps, distributor, plugs wires rotor button and egr valve. Tried a known good afm, I have unhooked exhaust to eliminate it the only thing I noticed is that my egr vavle even after running for a while does not get hot could I have a stopped up passage going into my head causing the issues. It is running so bad that i Can not even drive when I shift to second it just dies and I cant hardly get up enugh rpms to even need to shift. Any advice would help thanks in advance