86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re fuel injector electrical connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re fuel injector electrical connector

I am in process of replacing all 4 connectors in my 1989 4runner with a 22re. I, being a bit under the influence at the time, forgot to mark where each one goes to each fuel injector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
I don't think it really matters, as long as they lay out and reach properly.

I believe that the 22RE injectors batch fire, they do not fire sequentially, so which injector wire goes where is not critical.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
it does not matter in the least. you can connect them to any injector, in any order. all four injectors fire at the same time, as noted above.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Wire up the injectors as mentioned, and make sure the truck runs . . . BEFORE having the beer.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:01 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
All correct. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/...taTech/h22.pdf (page 15)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
nice document. i noticed on page 3 the statement "passing fuel through the pump motor aids in cooling and lubrication", something i have claimed for quite a few years. the tank can be run to nearly empty without causing damage to the pump, period. it IS cooled by the fuel passing through it, not by being fully immersed in gas ( as in a tank that is more than 1/3 full). i had my own proof/confirmation of this with my legacy wagon, which i owned for 15 years and put 250k miles on, and nearly always ran the tank down until the low-fuel light came on. and the legacy has two pumps in the tank, because the tank straddles the rear driveshaft.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by wallytoo
it does not matter in the least. you can connect them to any injector, in any order. all four injectors fire at the same time, as noted above.
Kind of off topic... But I was surprised to learn that early EFI's did the whole "batch firing" thing. Are there any mods/ECU upgrades that can be done to get the injectors to fire sequentially?
Old 08-14-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyboi
... Are there any mods/ECU upgrades that can be done to get the injectors to fire sequentially?
Uh, why?

I suppose, in the abstract, sequential firing is "better" because it would be more in sync with the intake valve. But everything affects everything else, so I would think you would also need to update the intake valves, the plenum, and the position of the injectors in the plenum. Maybe the injectors, too.

I get the sense that at one time in distant automotive history, power plant engineering was so primitive that it was possible to replace a carburetor or cam shaft or head gasket and get a sudden 30Hp "for free." But those days were long gone by the time your truck was designed. I'm not aware of any "mod" that will increase Hp or mileage enough to cover the price of the parts. (Yes, that means you K&N.) If you want a "modern" power plant, you need to get your hands on a modern Toyota.

But if you want to give it a try, and then put the truck on a dynamometer, I'm looking forward to seeing the results!
Old 08-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Uh, why?

I suppose, in the abstract, sequential firing is "better" because it would be more in sync with the intake valve. But everything affects everything else, so I would think you would also need to update the intake valves, the plenum, and the position of the injectors in the plenum. Maybe the injectors, too.

I get the sense that at one time in distant automotive history, power plant engineering was so primitive that it was possible to replace a carburetor or cam shaft or head gasket and get a sudden 30Hp "for free." But those days were long gone by the time your truck was designed. I'm not aware of any "mod" that will increase Hp or mileage enough to cover the price of the parts. (Yes, that means you K&N.) If you want a "modern" power plant, you need to get your hands on a modern Toyota.

But if you want to give it a try, and then put the truck on a dynamometer, I'm looking forward to seeing the results!
Just out of curiosity haha But looks like it's probably easier to just throw in a newer engine. Love the 22re but just wish it was a bit more fuel efficient for it's lack of power lol