Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re fires, runs for 3 seconds then dies...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re fires, runs for 3 seconds then dies...

So I've read this forum quite a bit and I've tried to figure out my problem but just can't get it. My 93pickup with the 22re fires runs for 3 seconds then dies every time. It started about a month ago when I drove it home, sputtered a bit then parked it. Let it sit for about 2 weeks then went to start it and it cranked and cranked so I jumped the test wires and got the fuel pump to kick on and bought a new relay (circuit opening relay) worked great for about 3 days and I parked it somewhere and it does the same thing. The relay had a warranty so I threw a new one in and nothing. With the key forward and pushing the vaf flapper the fuel pump kicks on... I also tested the resistance of the flapper and everything checked out. Then checked the cold start injectors ohms, all good. Moved onto the cold start injector switch to check it's ohms, all good again. I messed with the vacuum a bit near the fuel pressure regulator and also disconnected and plugged one of the egr vacuum tubes to no avail... I also swapped the Efi relay and it does the same thing. One strange thing I've noticed is that if I give it gas in the 3 seconds that it's running it instantly dies like the gas is suffocating the plugs. new plugs btw. All fuses are good, ran great after the circuit control relay was replaced. I've looked up and down and can't find a fuel filter, looks like something inter the intake... I'm stumped and any help would be appreciated at this point, I'm out of ideas and it's summer time, I need to cruise my YOTA!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Duckg00se
So I've read this forum quite a bit and I've tried to figure out my problem but just can't get it. My 93pickup with the 22re fires runs for 3 seconds then dies every time. It started about a month ago when I drove it home, sputtered a bit then parked it. Let it sit for about 2 weeks then went to start it and it cranked and cranked so I jumped the test wires and got the fuel pump to kick on and bought a new relay (circuit opening relay) worked great for about 3 days and I parked it somewhere and it does the same thing. The relay had a warranty so I threw a new one in and nothing. With the key forward and pushing the vaf flapper the fuel pump kicks on... I also tested the resistance of the flapper and everything checked out. Then checked the cold start injectors ohms, all good. Moved onto the cold start injector switch to check it's ohms, all good again. I messed with the vacuum a bit near the fuel pressure regulator and also disconnected and plugged one of the egr vacuum tubes to no avail... I also swapped the Efi relay and it does the same thing. One strange thing I've noticed is that if I give it gas in the 3 seconds that it's running it instantly dies like the gas is suffocating the plugs. new plugs btw. All fuses are good, ran great after the circuit control relay was replaced. I've looked up and down and can't find a fuel filter, looks l ike something inter the intake... I'm stumped and any help would be appreciated at this point, I'm out of ideas and it's summer time, I need to cruise my YOTA!!!
I have had the same issue and would love some advice... My starter was sticking on and I thought that was the issue but I fixed it and it still does it...any ideas would be appreciated...85 toy xtra cab sr5 22re
Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 AM

Quick note I just found out that the gas gauge isnt correct and that the 3/8 tank of gas that I thought was in there actually might not be...as ive only had this truck for aweek or so and it hasn't run since the day I bought it this would have been nice to kno when I bought it
Old 03-18-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jmitchell5
I have had the same issue and would love some advice... My starter was sticking on and I thought that was the issue but I fixed it and it still does it...any ideas would be appreciated...85 toy xtra cab sr5 22re
Check your plugs....mine are getting soaked with gas
Old 03-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Is the airflow sensor plugged in? My 3vze would startup and run great, then die about 3 seconds later... turned out I forgot to plug in the airflow sensor on top of the airbox.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Yeah its plugged in and functioning, almost seems like it's getting too much fuel. Does the same thing regardless if the cold start injectors plugged in or not...
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the CEL codes and report back.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Does it run fine with +B and FP jumped? If so, then there probably is a crack in the air hose between the air meter and throttle body.

If it still stalls with FP jumped, possibly the ecu is not receiving the IGF ignition confirmation signal from the igniter. When that happens, the ecu will stop firing the injectors. Usually you'll get a code 14 with a bad IGF signal.
The following users liked this post:
hugezeppelinfan6700 (09-15-2018)
Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does it spin really fast?

It might have jumped the chain.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by skypilot
Does it spin really fast?

It might have jumped the chain.
It would have bent the valves if it jumped the chain, and he'd have had a knock.

@op, did you put new gas in?
Check all sensors for continuity and connectivity?
Make sure all vacuum lines in good condition?
Inspect all wires running too and from the gas tank?
Inspect all wires running to the engine, from the harness?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Mine was doin somethin similar to that and it ended up being my TPS (Throttle Position sensor). replaced and she ran fine.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
check all your grounds really good
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 AM

It's just strange, went and wOrked on it yesterday again and made sure the grounds were all good... One thing that boggles my mind is thAt when it fires up and I hit the gas it dies immediately no matter what... How do check the tps? It was idling strange before all this happened originally. Idle low then high once it wAs warm like there was some type of vacuum leak. I don't want to say the computer is bad because it ran fine after I replaced the opening circuit relay..
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 AM

The guy I bought my truck from said he had it tested and it was bad but as fast how to test it I have no idea...does it start rough? And when u touch the gas does it bog then die or just die ?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by sb5walker
Does it run fine with +B and FP jumped?
It sure sounds to me like the fuel pump is cutting out (which will happen with a bad VAF, unplugged VAF, bad C.O.Relay, ...) If so, the fuel pump pressurizes the rail during cranking, so there is enough pressure to keep it running for 3 seconds after the pump stops. UNLESS you hit the gas, which demands more fuel than is there, and it cuts out immediately.

sb5walker suggested an easy and positive test, be sure to get that out of the way before you start chasing the "wild geese."
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM

With the wires jumped it does the same thing But when I push the flapper on the vaf the fuel pump turns on which is why I didn't think the vaf was the problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 AM

I checked all the grounds which looked good, took the connectors apart and cleaned them. Just strange, it worked fine for about 3 days after I replaced the COR then it got cold, went to start it one night and been doing this cranking, firing then dying crap. The vacuum lines look good and checked them all. No codes, all the sensors I've been told to check with my multimeter seem to be functioning... The pump kicks on when jumped and when the flapper is opened... This is Ohio and it seems like all the other yotas are dead, non in junkyards... Might be time to toss a 302 in it.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM

i know you said you checked the grounds but i had the EXACT same problem after a rebuild. it ended up being the ground wire that goes onto one of the intake/plenum studs and grounds the fuel injectors.

just figured i'd toss that out since the same thing was driving me nuts for a week.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 AM

I saw that one & it looked and felt connetected, I'll check it again.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the last time this happened to me... my circuit opening relay was rusted.

Quick Reply: 22re fires, runs for 3 seconds then dies...