Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re - drove it home, and now nothing happens when key is turned

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:31 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re - drove it home, and now nothing happens when key is turned

I just drove this truck home over 40 miles with no problem, i did have an after market radio half ass mounted in the dash with some wires open. When I would put my turn signal on the high beam indicator and lights would flash real quick, and then when I went to turn the heat on all of the lights died and everything in the truck, including the motor, shut off, but came right back on as soon as I turned the heat off (the heat thing was a matter of a second or two). I tried the heat when I was going about 30 mph, so when i got in my drive way while the truck was at idle, did it again and the same thing happened with the heat. Came back 5 mintues later to pull it in the garage to cap the radio wires nothing in the truck works, not a sound, not a light not anything.

1. All fuses are good
2. Battery still reading 13.-- volts on the multimeter.

Any logical ideas? I am thinking the ECU has been dominated.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
check the battery connections. if they're not connected well/corroded it wont start, and will have issues running electrical loads even though it might still show 13v on a meter...
Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
I wiggled the batter connectors (which I just put new ones on), but I was in the dark I will check to make sure the wires are still in them. Thing is even with the heat and bright issues everything in the truck is still working fine until I truned everything off now I dont get anything.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

and all the fuses are good, the ones under the hood and drivers kick panel?
Old 01-01-2008, 04:43 PM

Check the 80AMP fuse in the Engine Bay fuse box - Glow1 or whatever. Same symptom when mine blew - turn the key and nothing happens.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM

I looked at that 80 amp, but it was under poor light and I could get a good connection. I will check that in the morning. Do you think having the radio wires in there all stupid is the reason it kept dying when I was turning the heat on?
Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 PM

if the radio wires are shorted and wired somewhere past the large fuse it could have blown it. I'm assuming when you put the new terminals on you cleaned the batt terminals? are the connections to the new battcables good?

I put in a set of cable ends a few months ago when I broke one of mine, and i went to start the truck after, power came on, and i got a click, then everything died. after that i tried again, and couldnt get power to anything. cleaned up the connection and it's worked perfect since.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:54 PM

I have rebuilt everything on this, so I have a new battery and new terminals, so I am wondering why he truck ran perfectly all the way up till when I shut the key off? If it was a fuse that blew wouldnt it have died the first time I put the heat on and it shut off? This is where I am lost.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:18 PM

whats the heat got to do with a fuse?

basically if you have a short it could be only shorting under certain conditions (wires accidentally rubbing to ground, etc) and the fuse will only blow when you get the short.

the only thing with the heating system that runs off of electricity is the fan blower...
Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 PM

The same thing happened to me on an 89 pickup bought in Little Rock on ebay and drove to Dallas. I tried everything, and then just put a new starter on it. Problem solved.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM

Do you get a sound from your fuel pump powering up? Do your lights work/is there any evidence that the battery is powering up the electrical of the truck? Could be the starter solenoid, could be ground wire, fuseable links, there must be a loose connection somewhere...

Get out there in the good light and check it out?
that would be where I would start.

There could be a green wire somewhere from being corroded and if there a great deal of humidity it wouldn't connect properly as result of a short.

Does the truck do anything at all when you turn your key on? (as mentioned above) can you turn the lights on, power up the stereo, or hear the fuel pump winding up?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:57 PM

are u absolutely sure your battery is fine... mine was dead and it put off 12.6 volts and it wouldnt start my pickup, and no electricity anywhere. so i had a hunch and put in a new alternator(never buy at autozone)... fixed it. i dont know if that helps at all....
Old 01-01-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id check your grounding wire from the fusebox, and the positive wire going to the fusebox from the battery. when that snapped, my truck did the same thing.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:49 AM

It was dark last night when I got it back so I will check today the advice you all gave me.

1. check the battery and terminals to make sure all connections are clean, tight, and that the battery has juice, I will hook it to my jump box to see if I can get something. The night before last I forgot the clamp on the outlet of the timing chain and wound up drowning the alternator in coolant, but that didnt stop it from running all day yesterday while getting the timing adjusted

2. Check the 80 amp in the engine bay to make sure it isnt blown up.

At this point i put the key in and the door buzzer doesnt even work. The truck ran 40 miles, and i turned it off, then tried to turn it back on and it was all quiet on the western front.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by sirus62
are u absolutely sure your battery is fine... mine was dead and it put off 12.6 volts and it wouldnt start my pickup, and no electricity anywhere. so i had a hunch and put in a new alternator(never buy at autozone)... fixed it. i dont know if that helps at all....
I will try the jump box and see if it atleast gives me enought to turn the headlights on, if not i might be f-ed up.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM

IF you cannot turn your head lights on the connection should not be too hard to find. It will most likely be a ground, check the starter solenoid, just check all the main (beefier) black and red wires to ensure they are all connected well...

if you get headlights then it's most likely your battery *or altenator* but if it's your altenator you should have an idiot light in your cab illuminated when/if you get the truck powered up.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:16 PM

you fockers are awesome, it was the positive to the main fuse box in the engine bay that pooped out. busted out the ratchet and lined the positives up and walla, the brand new rebuilt 22re ran around the block for hours. Thank you all for the insight.

If i had a god damn shop light the night of the problem, I would have had it fixed then.

You all are H to the O - t t
Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 PM

a new 22re done right is tits, i love my motor and my truck right now.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 PM

glad to see you got it up and running.
I too am looking forward to my newly rebuilt 22RE..Enjoy!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by iam_turner
glad to see you got it up and running.
I too am looking forward to my newly rebuilt 22RE..Enjoy!

Have you begunthe work on it as of yet man? What are you doing to it?