86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE burps / deep rumbling noise at higher RPM

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22RE burps / deep rumbling noise at higher RPM [HELP!!]

So I recently finished my headgasket/timing chain job, it runs fine at IDLE. The valves need to be adjusted so it ticks alot at this time. I checked the timing and at idle and its dead on at 5 deg. The 22RE has a new 268c cam and RV head.

The only issue is that when I rev it up to 2-3K RPM, engine starts to stutter / burp / deep rumbling sound and shakes. If I leave it to IDLE, it seems to run fine.

The vacuum gauge shows 21 Hg at IDLE, Oil Pressure is good and timing is adjusted.

I thought I could capture the noise on my camera but I haven't been successful in capture the rumbling sound near the engine bay. However, you can hear the deep sound at the exhaust:

Video near engine bay: From Idle to Higher RPM

Video at the exhaust
Higher RPM
Idle

Any clue as to what is wrong. I have driven it on the road and it seems to be fine.

Last edited by hgill; 12-08-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just throwing out an idea. Since the valves aren't adjusted all the way yet, could they not be opening up enough to let out all of the exhaust gasses and/or not bringing in enough air/fuel from the intake? To me, it kind of sounds like a warmed up lawnmower with the choke still on, which means that the air to fuel ratio isn't correct. My guess would be the valves. Since they are ticking, they are opening up later and closing sooner. Closing sooner also means they are closing more abruptly because of how a cam-shaft is designed, the rate of closure is slowed down as the valve comes close to seating in the head. Just an idea though. Since it is Fuel Injected, the EFI is compensating for the lack of valve movement at idle by adjusting the mixture. But at 2-3K, it can't put out that much fuel? Again, this is just a hypothesis and I could be completely wrong. I would suggest getting the valves all shimmed and corrected, then seeing if the problem still exists.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Harbir - wish I could offer an idea - sounded great yesterday when I drove it - did this just happen after that??

Doesn't seem like backfiring since it's ON THROTTLE, versus off (the issue I asked about a while ago with my aftermarket exhaust making popping noises on decel).

I'm thinking valves too - that seems to be the only thing that's not been adjusted yet, and if it's fine at idle....

Hope you figure it out quick so you can enjoy the ride!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM

Phil, it still sounds great at Idle and not as noticeable when driving. Im also hoping it is the valve adjustment.

Another thing that might be the issue is that I didnt line up the fuel line union bolt from the fuel filter to the injector delivery pipe. I felt it wasnt necessary as the nut seemed to have enough gap inside so that the direction didnt matter.

Anyone else comment if the direction of the fuel line from filter to injector delivery pipe matters?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 AM

Dude. Srsly. Adjust them valves. Gonna eat your cam and rockers. 'Speshly if that's all I can hear in the exhaust video. I think it'll help, lots. And I didn't orient any of my fuel line banjo bolts any specific direction, mine runs jus' dandy.

'89 22RE 4x4 longbed DLX
Sent from my LG-P505 using YotaTech

Last edited by combatcarl; 12-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 AM

sounds good. Spoke to ENGNBLDR and learnt that I have to set the valves on their cams at .007 in/.009 ex warm. I had adjusted it to stock at cold when finishing up the head gasket job. I will set the cam and report back.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Help!

NEED HELP!!!

Adjusted the valves as per spec 0.007" for intake and 0.009" for exhaust as recommended by ENGNBLDR for 268C Cam. The engine seems to be running slightly better but Im not entirely sure. It still feels a like its running rough and there is a sharp noise when you hit throttle. Plus, the vacuum gauge is no steady, it moves a bit.

The worse thing is that I dont even know how serious the issue is. Im just so clueless... please give me your feedback!

I have taken a long youtube video ....

0:00-0:08 -> Idle
0:17 -> 0:24: slight vibration / burping from the engine.
0:37 -> noise after throttle ?? what is that?

Old 12-08-2012, 02:17 PM

How many miles on bottom end? Almost sounds like piston slap or wrist pin. But don't get too worked up yet. If the valves make noise, it can sound like something worse sometimes. Double check your adjustment, does Ted spec hot, or cold? Try removing a plug wire, one at a time (running) and see if it quiets down or goes away.
This might help with interpreting your vacuum gauge reading.
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Using...3/article.html

Last edited by combatcarl; 12-08-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the reponse. Bottom-end mileage is unknown but it is not original for sure ... I tried removing one sparkplug wire at a time at idle and the rpm dropped/rough idle. So, all four spark is there.

I did the valve adjustment twice .. the first time it still sounded a bit loud still so I did it again at HOT with 0.007" intake and 0.009 exhaust as per Ted. Maybe Im just getting paranoid and should start driving this thing.. maybe it needs to be broken in? noise due to a new cam? ...

Thanks for the vacuum gauge link, I will take a video of it and also check what it is telling me against the link.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Ok, I just wondered if you'd pulled wires during revving, to see if the noises changed or went away. Could be nothing. Mine is a little noisy until all warmed up, due to a hasty valve adjustment ...but gets quiet when hot. Just the normal light tick and injector clatter, then.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 PM

combatcarl, I didnt pull the wires while reving. I will try that. Another thing, the shrill noise that was coming after rev'ing ended up being the throwout bearing. I have adjusted my clutch pedal and it is no longer happening.

Another thing, I re-checked my exhaust bolts to make sure they were tight. I read the vacuum gauge link and in all those symptoms, the vacuum has to drop 2-3 Hg ... mine is just shaking a tiny bit (less than 1Hg), so seems like its fine.

I uploading the a new video I took and it seems to idle fine and there is a slight engine shake at higher rpm but its isnt noticible when im driving the truck, I took it around the block and it seems to be alive and kicking. Drove to gym later in the evening. it all looks good. I will keep driving it I guess till it blows up (LOL!) .. I really dont know what to do next.

The only thing is that there is a constant valve taping / tick-tick sound .. not sure if it is normal. Maybe its just a normal 22re sound:

Another Video I took earlier with clutch pressed to eliminate that the shrill noise after giving throttle is throwout bearing.

Last edited by hgill; 12-08-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 PM

OK! Got the computer, and better speakers with which to watch/listen. The cricket sound was definitely unrelated to engine. Sounded to me like a loose guard somewhere. But throwout bearing seems plausible. The BBBBBURPPPPP on therottle down is your PAIR resonator. Mine does it too, often loud enough to hear without the stereo on, inside the cab. I don't know about the slight shake at above idle, see if your timing gets weird (with timing light) around those RPMs. Could be spark/timing/miss related? My vacuum gauge move verrrry slightly at idle, but reacts normally in all other ways, so I don't think you have a problem there...

Edit: In the first of your two videos above, the darker video, it sounds pretty normal. May just take awhile to get the valve lash dialed in, it took me a couple tries to get it right. By the time you get to #4, stuff is cooling off pretty rapidly.

Last edited by combatcarl; 12-08-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add'l videos
Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hgill
sounds good. Spoke to ENGNBLDR and learnt that I have to set the valves on their cams at .007 in/.009 ex warm. I had adjusted it to stock at cold when finishing up the head gasket job. I will set the cam and report back.
that engnbldr camshaft can't be adjusted like it says in the Toyota fsm. It has its own unique way to adjust the valves. I can't believe no one else has this problem, with a engnbldr camshaft.

Last edited by motospeed; 07-16-2013 at 08:07 PM.