Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re afm and air box out if a 2.0 camry?

Old 01-24-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re afm and air box out if a 2.0 camry?

Ok, so last night I got ready to drive my 1991 4runner to Portland from Eugene to visit some family that was getting surgery. it has a 22re that is rebuilt and the short block is out of a different truck. I was doing my check on everything for the trip and remembered I had not changed my air filter since I built the truck a little over a year ago. I blew it out 3 times with a air compressor over that time but it was so nasty it had to go. I went to orielys first and they brought me a k&n 22re air filter and it was too large. We tried a throw away paper filter for the 22re and it too was too big for my air box. So I went down the road to autozone and tried. Again the same results the filter was too big. I gave the lady my air filter while I talked with another customer about Toyota trucks with jeep axles...She came back with a air filter that was an exact match for my air box that was in my 4runner. I bought the filter installed it and hit the road. I looked up the part number this morning and it came back to a Toyota Camry 2.0 4 cyl engine. it is a fram ca 4778 part number. anyone have anything like this happen before? needles to say I need a new airbox and afm.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Strange, but if it ain't broke why fix it? As far as I know the AFM's are not interchangeable. You could look up the PN of your AFM to verify it's for truck.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Different engine group I have no idea how it would even work.

Please take some pictures.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:36 PM

ill take some pictures right now it will take a few minutes to upload them.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:39 PM

Red face

Just where did this Air filter box and AFM come from?

Old 01-24-2015, 04:03 PM

Name:  image_zpsrnxtqdct-1.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  162.6 KB

Hope that works. It was in my truck when I got it.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Name:  image_zps9rs3x0px-1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  81.6 KB

That air filter code came back to a 2.0 Camry I don't know how it works but it runs rich I need more airflow
Old 01-24-2015, 04:20 PM

Interesting, the motor is a 22RE right???

Looks like the panel for the AFM sensor has been opened and resealed.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:28 PM

yes 22re 60 over 268 cam over sized valves. I always thought I should feel a little more power from this motor than I do. I know it wont be a race car but it is very sluggish on the get. and I only have 265/70/16s on it
Old 01-24-2015, 04:40 PM

if you run the wires back from the connect on AFM has it been spliced??? You know plug swapped??
Old 01-24-2015, 05:16 PM

could have been look at the pic it has electrical tape on it right off the plug looks like
Old 01-24-2015, 05:36 PM

my thought is maybe the afm from my 22re has the same bolt pattern as the 2.0 camry and they switched over the airbox but not the afm? the afm was opened by someone in the past and they glued it with clear silicone. I ripped off the silicone because it didn't seal well and replaced it with rvt black. I don't know if it was tampered with or not.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbowls
... I don't know how it works but it runs rich I need more airflow
It doesn't work that way. The o2 sensor is there to adjust the mixture, whatever airflow you're getting (how do you make the engine run at a different speed? By adjusting the airflow with the throttle.) If your air intake were too restricted it's the same as not opening the throttle enough. It won't make it run rich.

If you're running rich, your problem is elsewhere.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:48 PM

however it works, I never get a rich code so it is not too bad. but maybe a new o2 sensor could help I'm sure it is the original. I just notice the exhaust smells like fuel time to time. the timing is good at 750 rpm at running temp I run 8 deg advance and it advances as it should. new plugs. but back on topic I don't know how or why I have this air box, I need to compare it to a stock 22re box and check if the plug to the afm is the stock or the afm and or plug has been replaced with the airbox.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:00 AM

Red face

Was that AFM on the truck when you bought it??

Some people think they get more power by adjusting the internals of the AFM hence the silicone sealer.

then one of those stupid cone filters may have been on there and swapped with what was on hand before being sold

Just what are you comparing your engine performance with??? It takes big $$$ to get little gain from these engines.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't know the 91 runners as well, but that does not look like the correct air box to me. All 22re air boxes clip on the long part of the box/front to back. The air tube going to the AFM does not look right to me as well. Never seen ridges on the air tube/square part of it. Like I said I am not as strong on the newer models so it could be correct. May be something to look into.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:31 AM

There internals of the AFM can be adjusted to "trick" the computer to think more air is entering so it runs a little ricker. Hard to nail it down by smell really need a gas analyzer to know for sure. You can do some math to see if you have restriction from the air cleaner box. The throttle body bore is 55mm.

If there inlet for the aircleaner box is restrictive a simple trick is to add another hole or holes. Just make sure you add them on the unfiltered side of box.

What kind of exhaust are you running?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Was that AFM on the truck when you bought it??

Just what are you comparing your engine performance with??? It takes big $$$ to get little gain from these engines.
I am comparing it to my 82 22r 4x4 pickup it seamed to be quicker but it was also a 4 speed and a LOT lighter
my block was decked an head was milled so I may also need an adjustable timing gear to make it snap like I want. I am not looking for a race car just an engine that revs up clean an clear without hesitation. my truck also doesn't seem to want to rev to a limiter or even to the red zone, not that I need to or want to a lot but should be able to

Last edited by Jbowls; 01-28-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
There internals of the AFM can be adjusted to "trick" the computer to think more air is entering so it runs a little ricker. Hard to nail it down by smell really need a gas analyzer to know for sure. You can do some math to see if you have restriction from the air cleaner box. The throttle body bore is 55mm.

If there inlet for the aircleaner box is restrictive a simple trick is to add another hole or holes. Just make sure you add them on the unfiltered side of box.

What kind of exhaust are you running?

My exhaust is stock except I removed the cat. I thought maybe I would get results by getting 2 1/4" pipe and a decent muffler.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I don't know the 91 runners as well, but that does not look like the correct air box to me. All 22re air boxes clip on the long part of the box/front to back. The air tube going to the AFM does not look right to me as well. Never seen ridges on the air tube/square part of it. Like I said I am not as strong on the newer models so it could be correct. May be something to look into.
the air tube from throttle body to air box was a odd fit I though when I first started installing the engine. it had a corrugated looking rubber boot that was flexible but it was wor out an had holes so I jimmy rigged it duct tape an it rubs on my radiator hose. maybe I should make pvc intake tube for it too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22re afm and air box out if a 2.0 camry?