Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE and 22RE-t Intake/turbo Swap

Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, bought my first Toyota 4-Runner its a 87 model. Here is the story... Bought it for $1400 and it has two motors that came with it. The or iginal 22re-t blew a head gasket, so the owner removed teh engine and installed a 22re motor. Nothing is connected, he just bolted it to the motor mounts and the transmission. I really would like to keep it original with the Turbo installed on it. I am low on budget currently and was wondering this. Does the 22re have the same block, heads etc as the 22re-t? Meaning can I swap the intake/turbo etc from the 22re-t to the 22re? Is the pistons, valves, compression different between the two. I haven't picked up the truck yet, so I can't visually look at it and see differences. Like I said I am new with Toyota's and trying to get this truck up and running as soon as possible. By the way the previous owner stated the old 22re-t was still running with the blown head gasket, but he purchased a replacement instead of correcting the issue. So assuming the turbo is still in good shape. thanks, Johnny
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The block is a bit different, to accomidate oiling of the turbo

The head is definitely different, the combustion chambers are much bigger in the rte head

22rte-trucks.com
Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 AM

also all the internals are different in order to acomdate the turbo, ud have to rebuild the turbo and put it back in
Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 AM

Ok thanks guys...
So it wouldn't make since just adding the intake/turbo etc to the 22re, got it. Would it make since installing the 22ret head on the 22re block or would the oiling of that block be to detrimental to the turbo? Do you think the blown head gasket on the 22ret could be replaced and the engine be up and running? Just trying to get it going for now.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 AM

if i were u id just rebuild the motor with new everything, rebuild kits for those r about 300$ if u dont redo ur turbo, rebuild it and throw it in and maybe sell the 22re, ud get ur money back and itll be better in the long run, just my thinking. good luck
Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
probably your best bet is to:

-get the r-e running (if you need to drive the runner)
-rebuild the r-et engine while it's out (invest in an engine stand and hoist)
-swap the engines when you finish the rebuild

lots of info out there. search and ask, and search some more.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:48 AM

I think I will just rebuild the RET and try to sale the RE...only has 83k on the RE. I really don't wont to redo the exhaust for the RE, etc... I am really in no hurry. It's a project, wanted it ready for hunting season, but no rush. I think it was still worth the $1400 for the truck and two motors...very little rust on the passenger fendors. I have a lot of research to do...honestly I am a Mopar guy and I have no clue even where the alternator/fuel pump etc goes on these toys...the previous owner took everything out to put the new motor in and didn't hook anything else up. Like i stated earlier, its not even in my possession yet. So I will have to search for a manual or something to just get the basics complete. thanks everyone for the info... Can't wait until i start on it. Cool little 4runner.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 AM

get a haynes manual from autozone/pepboys/etc... just glancing through that will answer a lot of your questions

oh, and post them pics! (when you can) we love pics here at yotatech
Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 AM

Will do irab88! thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definitley keep the turbo motor and sell the n/a for rebuild funds. fsm's are free to download on the internet btw... good luck on ur project.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd keep both engines. when the 22re goes down u'll be wishing you rebuilt the 22ret same way around the other way.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
You could definitely use the RE shortblock. The oil and coolant passages for the turbo are not too complex. IIRC both coolant lines are inline, and not actually on the block, and only one of the oil lines would require drilling and tapping.

The turbo block has lower compression pistons to run the boost safely. It would be possible to boost the engine with the higher compression, but you'd want a more modern, and fully-tunable EFI system to compensate. Specifically to ditch the distributor, for more accurate ignition timing control.

I looked into doing the exact opposite with my 4Runner (converting the turbo block to run without the turbo), I planned to use an engnbldr rebuild kit with new N/A pistons. But cheaped out and just dropped in a used RE.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:53 AM

Thanks Numbchux...
The 22re is already installed to the transmission and motor mounts. Nothing else is connecected. Is there an article etc about wiring up the 22re into the turbo truck? My future goal is now to rebuild the turbo motor 22ret with a better head and basically more high performance internals, but will not be doing that for another year. Then reinstall it back into the truck. How difficult is it to get the 22re up and running with the current truck wired for the turbo?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:44 PM

I used the 22RTE ECU and wiring. I used the 22RTE upper intake manifold, injectors, and MAP sensor (mounted on the non-turbo airbox to rotate it and work with the stock non-turbo intake plenum). I don't know if the injectors and MAP are calibrated differently for the turbo, but I had 'em, so I used 'em, and it worked great.

By using the turbo upper intake, all the sensors and vacuum stuff was the same.

Here's my turbo 4runner, running a non-turbo 22RE....
Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can do what Numbchux did to get a running vehicle, but I don't think fuel economy will be that great. The higher compression of the 22re might provide some compensation for the increased fuel from larger cc. injectors, but remember the fuel maps in the 22-rte computer are designed to mix fuel with charged air not naturally aspirated air. This setup has got to be running rich and I don't see how you can do anything about it.
You cannot mix and match 22rte components with 22re components, the 22rte afm is wired differently than the 22re afm and the voltages that the ecu sends to the afm are different between the 22rte ecu and the 22re ecu.
If you are going to rebuild the 22rte, there are a couple of things you need to check!
Pull the turbo off, remove the exhaust housing and check for cracks between the wastegate and the exhaust turbine housing.

[IMG][/IMG]

If your turbo is cracked like mine was...it's a boat anchor. You can upgrade to a CT26 off of a 7M-Gte supra without alot of fab work. There are lots of writeups on the internet of people who have done this.
You also have to check to see if your turbo head is cracked, my head cracked just before the #3 cam journal (see picture) and my 22rte was still running when it was tore down. The crack that you see is actually between #4 intake and exhaust ports. The theory is that because the 22rte heads have bigger combustion chambers, there is less metal between intake and exhaust ports, thus they are prone to cracking.
[IMG][/IMG]

You can put a 22re head on a 22rte block with the turbo pistons, people have had great results with this combo and that's what I'm doing!
Also join this web site:-
http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/
Read as much as you can and if you have questions that are not answered:- ASK!
You will find the guys on here are very knowledgeable and more than happy to share their knowledge.

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 09-17-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Ok great...I might just do what you said Numbchux just to get a running vehicle...your engine looks great...I was wondering if the Turbo EFI would work on the 22r...the motor is already connected to the transmission etc...just need to find a diagram to hookup the electrical and other external components. Hadmatt thanks for the info...i agree the fuel map prob is totally diff from the turbo and n/a...but hell i am going to give it a try. Thanks for the info on the rebuild etc... have the 22rte in back of the truck, hopefully pull it out the next few weeks and start tearing it apart. Any other info would be great guys...thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM

I think the fuel maps are based more off of AFM than TPS. So since there is not turbo, there is less air coming in, so it uses less fuel. It did not feel like it was running rich. It had as much power as I was expecting (200k+mile poorly-maintained engine, with an A340H behind it).

Not sure what I was getting for fuel mileage, but I don't recall it being horrid.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:55 PM

I just picked the truck up today and noticed that the motor that the previous owner installed is a 22r not re, and the turbo motor states 22re on the front of it. Should it say 22ret or did they not label them 22ret? Need to research the differences and if the Turbo EFI would work on the 22r engine. I need to order another wiring harnes...mine is fraid pretty bad. so should I get the original one that came with the truck or the 22r harness./???
Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 PM

they did not label them "22r-et"

and i'm not too sure of how much wiring the 22r actually has
Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 AM

Thanks IRA!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22RE and 22RE-t Intake/turbo Swap