86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22R radiator leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R radiator leaking coolant

Hey guys, 22r that was leaking coolant. I replaced at first just the upper hose, still leaked, so I assumed pin crack in the radiator. Replaced the radiator and lower hose. The lower hose now leaks as well, it was way too long and too bendy so I cut to fit and it fits just like the old hose that was pulled off. Within the last 5 minutes, both the lower and upper hose have started to leak again in the same way it was doing before the new radiator. It's leaking out of where the radiator connects with the hose, lower and upper. It then runs down the hose and drips to the ground. About a drip a second for each. What could it be? Everything is new and I have never seen anything leak around a hose? All hose clamps are tight. PLZ help....
Edit:: Also only leaks once pressurized and hot, doesn't leak when cold.

Last edited by TJ__Sanders; 12-21-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: New info
Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 PM

How snug did your hoses go on?
Old 12-21-2011, 04:43 PM

^^^ this. Better crank down on those hose clamps.....
Old 12-21-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by BoredOutnJackdUp
How snug did your hoses go on?
Originally Posted by Sensei
^^^ this. Better crank down on those hose clamps.....
well guys, I could swear they are super tight. As tight as I can turn them with a screwdriver? And I am a local oil change technician (full time student) so I have decent hand strength. Should I hit them with a ratchet and socket to get them tighter? I have never seen any that tight before.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-21-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: language
Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 PM

i just meant before the hose clamps were even tightened. did you have to wrestle it on there.
The hose shouldnt just slide on with no fight to it.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BoredOutnJackdUp
i just meant before the hose clamps were even tightened. did you have to wrestle it on there.
The hose shouldnt just slide on with no fight to it.
Had to wrestle the bottom one on, top was snug, bottom seemed almost too small on both ends. I got super frustrated but eventually got the bottom one on.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:47 PM

coolant leak/hoses?

like the other post said the where the hose connects needs to be semi tight before clamping, what hose clamps are you using? the factory ones are the best, in my opinon. Just where saftey glasses and have a good set of plyers, they are the spring loaded ones. Try to stay away from the traditional, screwdriver ones. good luck.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:52 PM

coolant leak/hoses?

I think i might know the answer to your problem, somthing aint right and it isnt the hoses or the clamps. I think your radiator might have inlets or outlets that are out of round! did you ever practice field goals with that radiator? haha just kidding.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by LittleBeast
like the other post said the where the hose connects needs to be semi tight before clamping, what hose clamps are you using? the factory ones are the best, in my opinon. Just where saftey glasses and have a good set of plyers, they are the spring loaded ones. Try to stay away from the traditional, screwdriver ones. good luck.
Any idea where I could pick up a set of the factory ones? Besides Toyota. Do parts stores usually sell those? I do love the ease of the screw ones though. Gonna crank it down with a ratchet tomorrow and if it still leaks it will be visiting the guy who has done the major work on it to see what he can do. Worst comes to worst, he replaces the hoses again I guess. Just frustrating to still have problems with brand new parts.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 PM

did you not read what I said ? I think you either got the wrong hose or an OUT OF ROUND outlet. Stop cranking down on them cheep clamps thats not the problem.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:33 PM

did you not read what I said ? I think you either got the wrong hose or an OUT OF ROUND outlet. Stop cranking down on them cheep clamps thats not the problem.
I read what you said but then saw the field goal comment and j/k. I didn't understand the last part so I thought it was a joke. Either way, the way the old one was doing the same thing up top makes me question the roundness. Unless the ends can warp?... Tired of the problems, truck seems to run well for about 2-3 months then seems to have a month of nothing but problems.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I'll venture something here.....is your headgasket in the early stages of failure and excessively pressurizing your cooling system?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM

coolant leak/hoses?

just trying to help/mabe substitute that old radiator for a football
Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 PM

I was thinking that to or somthin like it oregon but didnt want to say it start with the obvious for starters
Old 12-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Ok, I'll venture something here.....is your headgasket in the early stages of failure and excessively pressurizing your cooling system?
Is that possible? How can you test the headgasket? It always lost a little coolant, never could find it, contributed it to the leak. Can a failing headgasket OVER pressurize a system? I don't have alot of white smoke or anything, but the coolant coming out did have a brown, lake water color. I contributed it to the truck sitting for a few years and not being completely flushed. Uh oh?!?!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 PM

Also, truck uses about a quart of oil every 900 miles, but I thought it was burning it. Motor is 8 miles short of 191,000 and all stock. Nothing ever done, timing change or headgasket. Only alternator and igniter and some misc. Seals.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 PM

coolant leak/hoses?

yes, but start withe the obvious
Old 12-21-2011, 06:54 PM

yes, but start withe the obvious
I will. Hose clamps first. Then i'll recheck the hoses and radiator. Still not the news I wanted to hear, lol. Most likely too tough of a job for me, I did my friends headgasket on a '82 Ford Straight 6, but that motor seemed quite primitive compared to even a 22r.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

with all this changing of hoses did you replace the hose clamps or are you still using the same ones??

Another trick is to use two clamps with the screws opposite one another that has cured most leaks like this from worn hoses or bent radiator outlets.

Then there are different types of worm gear clamps some are pure junk and I have broken them with just a screw driver
Old 12-22-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
with all this changing of hoses did you replace the hose clamps or are you still using the same ones??

Another trick is to use two clamps with the screws opposite one another that has cured most leaks like this from worn hoses or bent radiator outlets.

Then there are different types of worm gear clamps some are pure junk and I have broken them with just a screw driver
Re used old clamps. Only replaced one clamp because it did snap.

Quick Reply: 22R radiator leaking coolant