Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r oil pump leak @ timing cover...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r oil pump leak @ timing cover...

My '85 2wd 22r has had a minor oil leak for some time now around the front of the engine. Since I was doing an intake change to the Offenhauser and tearing off the emissions, I thought I would take a look see. So I cleaned off the front of the engine from top to bottom so that I could clearly see where oil would come from. I used a can of Gumout carb cleaner and rags. Looks spiffy. I ran the engine for several minutes and there it was, a drop of oil waiting to fall from the bottom of the timing chain cover. So I looked around carefully and noticed the oil appears to come from the mating sufaces of the oil pump to the timing cover. The front seal ain't it as the oil pump surface around the pulley is bone dry. The engine was pulled and rebuilt about 30k miles and 2 1/2 years ago. The timing cover has the word "ROCK" in raised letters on it above the oil pump, so I'm assuming it may be a cheap aftermarket cover? The pump has "146" in raised letters on it, and nothing else I can see. Is this a cheapy? Do all quality (Aisin) pumps have "Aisin" lettered where you can see it? I can live with the leak for right now. Normally about a quarter sized blot on the concrete can be found after a drive, and the oil pan gets oil around it. I've searched the posts and don't find much about a leak at this location, mostly about the front seal and trouble with sleeves.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 AM

The oil pump has that little rubbery tubular gasket to seal it and the timing chain cover, maybe thats seen it's day come and go?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:19 AM

I am wondering that, too. It's just not that old. I've even read about warped oil pump housings. After the rebuild, for about a year, no leaks. Then the oil pan started to leak, it had an actual gasket that was squeezing out. I had a mechanic remove the oil pan, get rid of the gasket, and he used a black sealant like RTV instead. Looked good for several months. Then I started finding oil again. Today was the first time that I cleaned the crap off the front of the engine pretty much completely. Thats when I found it. If I put a new oil pump on this thing, I want to end this oil leak for at least 100,000 miles. Ther has to be a way to put together a quality set up that will not leak.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you want quality, use quality parts.

when replacing the oil pump and seal, choose a new seal that rides on a different area on the crank, youll see the old wear pattern when the cover is off.
that should solve this oil leak.
oh yeah, have fun with the crank bolt too.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 AM

I would start by replacing your oil pump o-ring gasket. That's the one that seals your oil pump to the timing chain cover. While your at it you should replace your front crank seal. You can get a timing chain gasket kit for only $10 at your local parts store. That kit will include both of those if the store does not have them individually.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the advice, but the crank seal does not appear to be the problem, just the seal from the oil pump to the timing cover. Personally, I prefer quality parts, and I had voiced this to the guy who rebuilt the engine. He seamed bound and determined to save me money, whether I wanted to or not. Oh, well. Here is a picture of the set up as it is today. Emissions deleted, Offenhauser intake, Weber 32/36, LC Engineering blocking plates and billet air cleaner, K&N filters and prefilter, etc.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by SCYOTA
I would start by replacing your oil pump o-ring gasket. That's the one that seals your oil pump to the timing chain cover.
That is the o-ring gasket that would be leaking. I just said to replace the crank seal while your at it. The o-ring gasket is what seals the oil pump to the timing chain cover. It's very possible that the o-ring was not perfectly lined up in the oil pump and it got pinched.

Last edited by SCYOTA; 11-09-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:08 PM

Just did a little net search about the "Rock Products" timing cover that I found my engine has, and probably has the "Rock" oil pump and water pump. Anyone familiar with them? Are they Chinese or Taiwanese made parts? I may pull them in favor of Japanese or American made parts, Aisin or similar...
Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to do the crank pulley bolt get a braker bar rest it on the frame on the driver side unplug the coil and tap the starter bam broke that bolt lose yep yep now i wish i had done that lol
Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do the starter / bam method of crankbolt loosening, make sure nobody is watching it.

I used to work with a fellow with a sizeabl scar on the side of his head that got whacked real good when the breaker bar broke.

It's a lot of energy so stand clear.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Were you able to get your leak fixed? Sorry to revive an old threat, but after doing my timing chain install (sigh) I am having the same issue. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Rock products are a USA company and Engnbldr sells them-therefore I would surmise that they are quality products. Anyway, just curiuos what you ended up doing...
Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 AM

just did timing chain and pulley sleeved new gaskets new oring, new front seal thought oring was bad replaced it 3 times still have oil leak from the bottom right bolt on the oil pump
Old 10-08-2014, 05:36 AM

same leak bottom right hand bolt

Randler 712 did you fix it and what was the problem? I'm starting my 4th attempt. I did notice oil trickling back to pump and letting the o ring get oil behind the grove where it fits in at the bottom. I'm going to remove my filter and see if this stops the oil trickling back and maybe finally get a good seal with a dry o ring.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:47 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
When you guys are doing the timing covers you are putting a little dap of rtv where the cover meets the head right? That is a common place for an oil leak if not done. Also are you doing a head gasket at the same time or drop in the oil pan? Just don't try and wedge the timing cover in with out loosening one first.