86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22R EFI Swap Idling High

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
22R EFI Swap Idling High

I just started up my '84 after swapping in 22RE EFI mechanicals, wiring and controls from an '89 4runner. It started instantly on the first try and ran smoothly. It idled a little high, but I hadn't even set the timing at that point. When it warmed up to normal operating temp it was idling too high (maybe 2000 rpm). I'm guessing at the rpm because I have no tach at the moment). The rpm's also began to cycle; kicking down every second on the second and surging right back up, like the TCCS computer or some control was trying to kick it down. When I jumpered the "T" and "E1" diagnostic terminals to set the timing the cycling stopped, and the idle was lower, but still too high. When I checked the timing I found that it was way retarded (and this at 1500 - 2000 rpm!). I dialed it back to 5 degrees BTDC, even though the idle was too high, figuring that it would be closer than what I had. When I pulled the jumper off the diagnostic connector it was back to the same high idle and cycling, with slightly more than 14 degrees BTDC timing indicated. I checked the Auxillary Air Valve and found that the idle screw was pretty close to fully screwed in. I screwed the adjustment down all the way with little or no effect. I checked the TPS readings and found them in spec. The AFM checked out ok when I was installing it. The throttle is fully closed as well.

I'm a little suspicious of the Aux Air Valve (AAV). Shouldn't the AAV body feel warm when the cooling system is up to temp? I think the upper AAV hose hose is even cool when operating temps are reached. I checked both hoses and found that pressurized coolant is present at both ends of the AAV. Coolant is supposed to circulate through that sucka, right? Do AAV's ever get plugged up? I did install a new thermostat when I was putting the engine together.

Most of the dashboard electrical accessories, besides the instrument cluster and steering column connections, are presently not hooked up to the wiring harness and I have not yet worked out getting a 4wd signal to the TCCS computer. The A/C rpm adjuster is not in yet either. -- Matt
Old 03-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Got it solved. It was just air in the cooling system. The Auxillar Air Valve (AAC) most likely was not getting up to operating temperature. A good run into town and back was all it took to get the air out of the cooling system and some hot coolant into the AAC. When it started functioning properly I was able to get a good idle.

So far I'm loving the 22RE/EFI swap into my formerly carbureted '84 SR5 Xtra Cab 4x4. My donor was a rusted out '89 4runner DX Auto. I can't wait to get an SR5 instrument cluster again. -- Matt

Last edited by wrenchtech; 03-13-2007 at 06:53 PM.