YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   22r connecting rod bearings (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/22r-connecting-rod-bearings-182277/)

Taargus 05-16-2009 07:38 PM

22r connecting rod bearings

Hello all. I just bought an '87 4WD with a (slight) knock in the lower end. I'm considering replacing the rod bearings with the motor in the truck. Possible? Anyone tried this? Is the oil pan removable without removing the motor from the truck? Thanks in advance...

abecedarian 05-16-2009 08:06 PM

yeah, it's possible. might have to drop the front differential housing though.

iamsuperbleeder 05-16-2009 08:15 PM

yeah the rod bearing is probably fairly easy to replace, but a main bearing might prove a little more difficult :P

if you're lucky, there's no damage to the crank, and you can probably get away with just installing some stock sized bearings in. BUT, if for whatever reason the crank looks a little gouged, well then... things are going to get a little more in depth :(

welcome to YT by the way!

:cheers:

olharleyman 05-16-2009 10:28 PM

I am considering doing the crank and connecting rods the same way I just bought a new crank and full bearing set and debating that or rebuild the block I have sitting around. I believe if I pull the tranny and oil pan I should have no issues with it any advice or pointers from anyone who has done this or heard of it being done?

Chutchman 05-18-2009 08:51 AM

You mean replace the connecting rods? How would you re-install the pistons from the bottom? I dont think it can be done.

TOYOTA 1 05-18-2009 09:49 AM

the pistons will not come out the bottom do not try it!

if a actual connecting rod has to be replaced the head must be removed.

though the crank and all the bearings can be changed with out pulling the head.
but the tranny must be moved back, front diff dropped, steering relay rod must be partially removed, along with the front cover. swapping rod bearings with the motor installed is fairly easy. but if the crank is messed up and i got to go that far into it, i would just pull the motor and rebuild it.

kingman4x4 10-08-2009 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder (Post 51141837)

if you're lucky, there's no damage to the crank, and you can probably get away with just installing some stock sized bearings in. BUT, if for whatever reason the crank looks a little gouged, well then... things are going to get a little more in depth :(

welcome to YT by the way!

I agree. I just did my rod bearings and I have an SAS so it was pretty easy but I still have a slight knock so my crank may be damaged. So I would just do it all why you can

Kiroshu 10-08-2009 02:35 PM

Yea your going t ohave to drop the front diff to get the pan off to do work like that anyway. but yea you could do it. Its possible. But its not going to be fun. But if you see scaring or deep scratches on the crank then you might have trouble and require rebuild. I dunno who the hell brought up bringing pistons and rods out the bottom but thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard. Oh and welcome to yota tech.

motorbreth77 10-12-2009 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by kingman4x4 (Post 51248031)
I agree. I just did my rod bearings and I have an SAS so it was pretty easy but I still have a slight knock so my crank may be damaged. So I would just do it all why you can

Sounds like a wristpin slapping a little, does it go away under heavy throttle?

chaife04 05-15-2014 08:12 AM

knocking on my connecting rod just started

:cheers:[/QUOTE]

chaife04 05-15-2014 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by chaife04 (Post 52195974)

[/QUOTE my truck just started to knock on my 94 toy how do i get rid of it

millball 05-15-2014 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by chaife04 (Post 52195976)
[/QUOTE my truck just started to knock on my 94 toy how do i get rid of it

Craigslist......

Just kidding.

If its really a bearing knock, engine overhaul is the solution.