Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 x 12 inch subs in the extended cab. good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 2 12" duals (cheap i know) in a custom box in the back. With the type of music I listen to it sounds good, bass is at -5 on the stereo, and the amp turned way down but i get more hits out of the 2 subs than the one. listening to metallica, pantera, mudvayne, that kind of stuff, i think it sounds great. put on some tupac, and my amp switch is instantly off. with the right speakers up front to balance out the bass in the back i think it sounds pretty good, and i'm not "rattling my neighbors houses" so i don't get shot at. i can hardly hear it outside my truck.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
is this an age related thing??..i dont see very many guys over 35yrs old with thumpin systems..lol

my system sounds amazing inside the cab..but the bass is not transferred out of the vehicle very much..from about 50ft away..you cant hardly hear the bass..

to each there own...isnt that the saying???...

i dont like a bobbed longbed..infact i WANT a longbed..but do i go around causing a big fuss every time does a bed bob???? no..so if you have nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all...

if the OP wants to put 2 18's in the back of his cab..let him..its his truck...

yes 2 12's is overkill..but i dont think it will harm your interior..but keep an eye on that back glass..it might not stay sealed..or it might crack or shatter..
i don't have an problem with someone wanting to put an good sounding stereo in there car, 2 12's is to much for any size vehicle and frankly it probably wont sound good. a speaker has to have enough air space to resonate not to mention and if the sound stays inside your vehicle crank it all you want, its your ears. if your out in the country crank it, i just think its bull that people drive threw neighborhoods blasting there subs. what makes it even worse is it makes them think they are cool. now the thread topic is 2 x 12 inch subs a good idea, no. in my other truck i have 2 8 inch subs powered by an 100x2 watt amp and it has plenty of bass even if i liked rap music it would have plenty of bass. if your worried about your rear window seal or shattering it most definitely will be heard very prominently by other people all im saying is people should have a little respect when driving threw neiborhoods and this is not necessarily directed at anyone here

Last edited by Ezrider_92356; 08-07-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"

my amp is this Kicker KX350.4 its designed to run 4 subs...its 2 amps in one..i have one of the sides bridged..and it sounds amazing inside..but doesnt put ALOT of sound outside the vehicle..
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JzWwr3J...ephotos&a=&s=0 this amp not only runs my single 12..but it runs my 6.5's and my 6x9's..the sound quality is AMAZING over my original LA 750w amp..lol
That Kicker really is for component speakers that have tweeters and such. 350 isn't much at all even for one sub. A Kicker 12" CVR can handle that like it's nothing.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I got 2 10" alpines in the back of my truck. More than enough, two 12's will rattle your interior apart
Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fmhcmhcmcnnmmhc

Last edited by yotarover; 08-27-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It all depends on whether your looking for just boom or if you want good clean bass. I would recommend 2 10's. I have a single ported JL Audio 10" powered by about 300 watts rms in my 4Runner and it pounds. Just remember the bigger the speaker, the harder it is to control it (ie better bigger amp).

Old 08-08-2009, 10:31 PM

10" subs have more sound range than that of 12"s.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Indeed, each to his own.

Because I like to whore out my "on the cheap" stereo:

That is awesome!
Seriously the coolest DIY stereo mod I've seen.

OP,

I'd either go with one 12 or two 10's if you're looking for serious thump.
In that small of a space 2 12's will rattle and distort the sound before you can even hear it - if you're looking for bling then yeah, go for it.

If it were me, I'd get two nice 10's and make sure they were tuned right for the cab.

What is your main goal?
Quality sound or just thumpage?

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 08-08-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Aenema
10" subs have more sound range than that of 12"s.
as an ex general manager of a high end audio/video shop, that statement is right, but wrong for a few reasons.

1) the average joe doesnt look at frequency ratings for subs when purchasing. 2)Nor do they take into consideration single coil vs dual coil, and proper box dimensions for optimum tuning of said frquency.
Here's a simplified view on how to buy a sub for a small vehicle.

for this example we'll use a commonly bought product - Alpines Type R subs.

Here are the ratings for each sub- 12" and 10'

SWR-1222D
12" Subwoofer (2Ω + 2Ω)
Power Handling Capacity (RMS): 500W
Power Handling Capacity (Peak): 1500W
• Frequency Response: 23Hz - 500Hz
listed $400.00

SWR-1022D
10" Subwoofer (2Ω + 2Ω)
24Hz - 600kHz
$200.00

Based on these speakers, the 10" sub seems like the better deal does it not? A 10" mid level sub would not compete in SQ as well as a 12", because of the lack of 'bass representation' and not going as low in frequency. Regardless of rating, that 10" sub will work harder and take more punishment than the 12".

On the other hand, the 10" has a smaller minimum box dimension, and a tighter high frequency. so if your going for SQ , this would be the better choice based on the vehicle and musical preferences.

For DB, it will always have to come down to a lower ranged sub, with a higher diameter.

Keep in mind also, if your looking for air movement in the cab, the 12" would push more, and 'feel' more responsive.

I personally have never, in all my show cars, ran a 12" sub. it has always been dual 10", or a single 10" dual voice coil (if you are running 1 10" I highly recommend a dual voice coil, for more stable reproduction of a diverse range of music genres.)

This being said, a high end audio system usually needs a 12" sub to compensate. Remember when running a full stereo setup, you dial down almost all the low frequncey in your components/drivers, and let the sub handle the low end. This is another common mistake people make when buying stereo components.

Hopefully that helped a bit.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sundog kid
as an ex general manager of a high end audio/video shop, that statement is right, but wrong for a few reasons.

1) the average joe doesnt look at frequency ratings for subs when purchasing. 2)Nor do they take into consideration single coil vs dual coil, and proper box dimensions for optimum tuning of said frquency.
Here's a simplified view on how to buy a sub for a small vehicle.

for this example we'll use a commonly bought product - Alpines Type R subs.

Here are the ratings for each sub- 12" and 10'

SWR-1222D
12" Subwoofer (2Ω + 2Ω)
• Frequency Response: 23Hz - 500Hz
listed $400.00

SWR-1022D
10" Subwoofer (2Ω + 2Ω)
24Hz - 600kHz
$200.00

Based on these speakers, the 10" sub seems like the better deal does it not? A 10" mid level sub would not compete in SQ as well as a 12", because of the lack of 'bass representation' and not going as low in frequency. Regardless of rating, that 10" sub will work harder and take more punishment than the 12".

On the other hand, the 10" has a smaller minimum box dimension, and a tighter high frequency. so if your going for SQ , this would be the better choice based on the vehicle and musical preferences.

For DB, it will always have to come down to a lower ranged sub, with a higher diameter.

Keep in mind also, if your looking for air movement in the cab, the 12" would push more, and 'feel' more responsive.

I personally have never, in all my show cars, ran a 12" sub. it has always been dual 10", or a single 10" dual voice coil (if you are running 1 10" I highly recommend a dual voice coil, for more stable reproduction of a diverse range of music genres.)

This being said, a high end audio system usually needs a 12" sub to compensate. Remember when running a full stereo setup, you dial down almost all the low frequncey in your components/drivers, and let the sub handle the low end. This is another common mistake people make when buying stereo components.

Hopefully that helped a bit.
That's just all diarrhea of the mouth to me.
Sounds like you should go with two 10's though.

Fink
Old 08-09-2009, 01:44 AM

Or he could save himself some money and buy one nice JL dual voice coil.

Its your truck do what you want.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never seen a larger bunch of old ladies in one thread before anywhere...

To say it's stupid to put 2 12's in a truck is the same thing as someone else saying an SAS kills the value of the truck and isn't needed, or that it's dumb to put a locker in because it makes the truck unsafe on wet roads. If he wants bass and can afford the 12's he wants it's his business. Just because they're installed in the truck doesn't mean they'll play at full db everytime he turns the truck on. You guys do know there's a volume knob right?

This is about personal preference.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
right on ovrrdrive!! Thanks for the replies guys! I decided to not go for the 2x12 jl since it seemed like a overkill and takes way too much space. I know im gona regret this, but practicality is more important here.

Im going for one jl 12w6 or 12w7 instead!! with 500/1 jl amp.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 AM

shoot for the w7 those are top notch as far as sound pressure levels go... and the w6 is a better sound quality sub than the more expensive big brother.

im about to put 3 13.5'' w7's in a blow-through box in the bed with a port tuned to 32hz...

my neighbors love me ..
Old 08-09-2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by hgill
I decided to not go for the 2x12 jl since it seemed like a overkill and takes way too much space. I know im gona regret this, but practicality is more important here.

Im going for one jl 12w6 or 12w7 instead!! with 500/1 jl amp.

Good decision. When I was 15 I would have said screw the 2 12's, make it 4 12's! I try to make more educated decisions now that I'm not a teenager anymore.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
Good decision. When I was 15 I would have said screw the 2 12's, make it 4 12's! I try to make more educated decisions now that I'm not a teenager anymore.

a nice set of ear plugs and youll have a killer back massage..

people give me funny looks when i put my shooting ear protection on and crank it..
Old 11-22-2009, 03:00 PM

I have 2 12in. kicker cvr's in my 93 xcab and it is a little overkill, tho i love it XP the pic is from my cell (sorry) and its when i had my old P2 Punches in it. Im running a 4channel Performance Technique that pushes about 800 between the two of em. And the back window is cracked now.
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by eighty5yota
a nice set of ear plugs and youll have a killer back massage..

people give me funny looks when i put my shooting ear protection on and crank it..
Did you ever do the bed-cut? I have a 85 that is looking for upgrades, do you have pics posted anywhere?

Two 12s are never overkill. I have some 15s in a truck and wish I had more. Drive-ins are way too cool with 2000+ watts RMS power to back the movie. You really feel the hits, hard.

http://www.carstereo.com/installs/ph...w=1&maxrows=12

Wish I had that much room in my Toyota....
Old 11-22-2009, 04:06 PM

How big's your extended cab? is it the 90's verision or the late 80's? I've got a apline type R `10" and two 6x9's in a custom box that I made in my 86' extended cabwhich in my opinion is loud enough. I think two 12's would be way too much
Old 11-22-2009, 04:24 PM

Running one 10 inch planet audio, 300 watt amp, crappy deck, and pioneer stock size fronts. Buffet sounds good, Unearth sounds good, and DGAF sounds good. It fits, BUT, thats MY personal preference.

Quick Reply: 2 x 12 inch subs in the extended cab. good idea?