YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   1st & Reverse Gear Grinding (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/1st-reverse-gear-grinding-186583/)

Toreador 07-14-2009 03:48 PM

1st & Reverse Gear Grinding

only happens sometimes

more reverse than first

helps if clutch is to the floor

any ideas and the CHEAPEST fix?

Lumpy 07-14-2009 04:44 PM

It just does that. Hit second before you go to reverse. Every manual I have owned grinds a bit going into reverse. Nature of the beast...

NicCantDecide 07-14-2009 04:49 PM

1st and reverse are rough gears, its normal. You only shift into them from a stop so the grinding isn't going to damage anything.

874runnersr5 07-14-2009 05:05 PM

My grinding went away after i changed my tranny fluid.. just a thought

scuba 07-14-2009 05:38 PM

Im going to say your slave cylinder isnt functioning as it should, Might be air in the line due to seals going bad inside the slave..

Bleed that line and if that doesnt help id say switch the master and slave

:dj:

iamsuperbleeder 07-14-2009 05:42 PM

My 91's always done that going from 1st to reverse

it becomes a neusence if you're stuck in a mud hole and you're trying to "rock" yourself out by going from first to reverse really quick, lol

I've learned to deal with it, and you eventually learn you have to come to a COMPLETE stop in a parking lot before throwing it into reverse to back into a parking spot :roll:

Toreador 07-14-2009 09:46 PM

wow.

would installing a performance clutch help?

Tubbyfatty 07-14-2009 10:05 PM

Yea start by bleeding your clutch then if that doesnt do anything, change the fluid.

Mine has been doing it alot lately and im going to put MT 90 in it. I just need to get off the stupid bolt. I changed out the clutch (marlin crawler) and bled the lines and its still a bit rough.

KelleyC 08-17-2009 09:18 PM

Bump**I understand the part about how it grinds a little going into the gears, but how about if you accelerate a little and get a growl from either the case or the transmission once in reverse gear? Mine's started to show signs of this issue..

Bad center shaft or bearings? Doesn't seem to be a backlash issue with the rear 3rd, as the free play's the same as the front, about two to three millimeters of rotation..

Bestow some experience please. :D

Jay351 08-17-2009 09:26 PM

Change fluid, that will tell you alot about the shape of the transmission.

Then check the shifter seat and bushing.

Mine grinds into reverse, I pop it into 2nd then into reverse. Works so well Its now a habit.

abecedarian 08-17-2009 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by KelleyC (Post 51208145)
Bestow some experience please. :D

Nope.

Everything you need to know is here.

:domo:

turboboost 08-17-2009 10:33 PM

Like someone said up there, it's a natural thing with reverse to grind when going into gear. I usually put it in first gear to slow down the input shaft, then it slips into reverse nicely.

KelleyC 08-18-2009 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by turboboost (Post 51208201)
Like someone said up there, it's a natural thing with reverse to grind when going into gear. I usually put it in first gear to slow down the input shaft, then it slips into reverse nicely.

Abe, (*and turboboost), please reread my post, there is a clarifying term there and I already searched. How do you think I found this thread. Search does nothing as far as my question. Growling once in gear and lightly accelerating is the key point I am making.

I've had a 5 speed R150F and a 151 before, I am well aware of the need for the shaft to slow down before going into reverse. What I am asking and possibly pointing out is these transmissions can and sometimes do "growl" after you're already in the gear, and accelerate a little. I am not describing the "whine" any reverse gear has, but the "growl" that can possibly be the reverse idler gear, the idler shaft, bad joints, or worst case sometimes, a sign you're crush sleeve on your rear third's gotten torque crushed.

I want to hear any tips on this stuff, and as it related to this thread posted my inquiry here rather than waste space w/ yet another thread.

KelleyC 08-18-2009 12:21 AM

Oh, and also *Jay, thanks I'm already looking at switching the fluid, if nothing more than to see if there's some brass, steel, or possibly some aluminum shavings in there. Explain the whole Gr3/4/5 bit to me? I understand going to 90 weight will be just like going to straight 30 in your engine, thicker solves some clearance issues, but what's with the differing initial gr ratings?

~Abe, no bash intended, inter-site searches are great, as is the http://www.nwtoys.com/wattora?page_id=72 engine, but after trying both including various terms I got nothing of use. As a mod, your guys functions access archived posts easier than the general publics, and also, as long time members, you know the trick to certain terms. Maybe offer up the terms used via pm so I can get a batch of useful results?

(*yes I searched for that gr 3/4/5 stuff also and got nothing.) I would prefer non-synthetic info, but I did see this: http://www.upmpg.com/drivetrain/gearlube/