86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1jz or domestic vortec 4.3, 4.8, 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1jz or domestic vortec 4.3, 4.8, 5.3?

Ok, here's the question. Ups and downs, wutcha think?
Ive been wanting to do a swap in my 86 yota 4x4 for awhile...had an ls3 6.0 but needed to sell for dumb reasons. Time to buy another engine.
For the same price i can get a 1jz which is a revving little beast to keep those tires goin in the mud.
Or stick with my original plan of a domestic v8. I can get everything i need from NWOR for a domestic swap that costs around 2k. And theres alot of local shops which can do the tune farely cheap.
From what little ive researched there doesnt seem to be alot of companies out there that have swap parts or kits for a 1jz conversion. Then it can get pretty technical on the transmissions.
I have decided to build this truck for my sons 1st vehicle, keeping that in mind the power output does not need to be to crazy. Which ever engine i go with will be a stock application except for a cam upgrade to accommodate the gear ratios and a good rpm range for playing in the mud from time to time
Any ideas or tips will be appreciated
Old 08-31-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably should post in the swap sections for better responses.

The 4.3 would be the best choice for cost and the fact it's not crazy heavy or over powered. You can use the Toyota V6 5 speed with adapter or stick the GM 700R4/4L60 behind it. Both transmissions will hold up well to a 4.3

The LS motor swaps get very complicated and expensive. Plus even a early 2000s 5.3 is pushing 280+hp. That's a lot of power and strength in a tiny yota.

The 1JZ wouldn't be to bad but the 4.3 would probably be cheaper and make for a better "truck" engine.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
Probably should post in the swap sections for better responses.

The 4.3 would be the best choice for cost and the fact it's not crazy heavy or over powered. You can use the Toyota V6 5 speed with adapter or stick the GM 700R4/4L60 behind it. Both transmissions will hold up well to a 4.3

The LS motor swaps get very complicated and expensive. Plus even a early 2000s 5.3 is pushing 280+hp. That's a lot of power and strength in a tiny yota.

The 1JZ wouldn't be to bad but the 4.3 would probably be cheaper and make for a better "truck" engine.
I didnt even pay attention where i started this thread, thanks....
Im going to stay away from autos. Currently the truck still has itss 22r and stick tranny. Tranny just had a rebuild about 15,000 miles ago. How well will it hold up to the 4.3 do you think?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:12 AM

You need to search brother. This has been covered at least 100 times on this site alone. I already gave you some hints and if you are asking those types of questions your not ready to take this kind of project on. If it's for a young kid and your not going with big tires just overhaul the 22RE and make sure you have a good gear to tire ratio. If you do it right the first time a good rebuilt 22RE will last 100,000+ miles and will keep his right foot from getting into to much trouble.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get a jdm 2jzgte swap for about 2k then run an inchworn adapter to a gear case. thats what i did for my 2jz swap in my 86 4runner. a little fab involved but no too much. can be done for under 4k easy
Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 AM

i just repoweded mine in april after a catastrophic engine failure. new motor, trans and tcase with a new adapter. i spent 3200 total but i already had radiator and intercooler and motor mounts. if you do a jz get some tg bombproof mounts and the factory 22re ones tear all day long
Old 09-01-2016, 02:27 PM

Why would you put a 300hp engine into a vehicle for a teenager.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:34 PM

X2 cbr

Last edited by donomite49; 09-02-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:22 PM

X2 on the rebuild the 22re could even stick a street rv head with bigger valves and cam. Not big power #s but puts the peak torque right off idle to get those tires moving so more usable power.

Match the gears to the tires you wanna run.

This will be the most reliable option especially nice cause it's easy to work on so (if its something he wants to do) your son could learn to wrench on it with basic maintenance stuff here and there.

edit: to answer your question tho and not just derail your thread with my opinion. If your bound and determined to swap a more powerful engine in, the Chevy vortec is a great option (the vortec model is smoother running) the swap is extremely common and it's probably the most affordable swap and most "bang for buck" there really torquey and parts are cheap. Either route you go I'm sure it will make an awesome 1st vehicle, my 86 4Runner was my 1st truck!

Also whatever engine you decide on make sure you get a new radiator the biggest (multiply cores) that will fit for what your running. I am using v6 radiator in my 22re. Some electric fans would help too. Big engine + small engine bay + Texas heat + off-roading = definatly wanna make sure cooling system is upgraded or atleast everything in good shape (new water pump, radiator and heater core atleast flushed possible replaced)

Good luck

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 09-01-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:51 PM

1jz all the way. Your kid will have the coolest truck in the highschool parking lot! probably the fastest too if you hop up the motor.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:17 AM

So back to reality. Both the 1JZ and 2ZJ are also going to be extremely expensive to maintain compared to a 4.3 Chevy or 22RE. If trying to stay on a budget the 22RE just makes sense. And as said above a refreshed 22RE with a small cam and basic upgrades will last a very long time. You can have a well built 22RE for $1500-2000. Change the plugs every 40,000 miles and the oil regularly and it will last him for years. You can use the stock transmission and T case so no extra cost there.

Good luck finding a "good" 1JZ or 2KZ for under $1500. Even then your dropping a "used" motor in. Your going to need a transmission that can handle that kind of power and probably have to swap transfer cases or buy adapters. The maintanance on any turbo motor is going to be much higher. And your not going to be able to go down to the parts store and tell them your year and vehicle to get parts. Plus let's look at gas prices and 87 vs 93 octane on a teens income.

The 4.3 is the only real reasonable choice I see but once again you would probably need to swap transmissions since the W56 probably would not live long with the torque of a 4.3.

So in closing the 22RE is probably the most reasonable option. If you are still set on doing a swap maybe look into the OM617 diesel swaps or somthing along those lines. They tend to be dependable and last forever as long as you are ok with 22R power levels they are a good option.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:33 AM

So back to reality. Both the 1JZ and 2ZJ are also going to be extremely expensive to maintain compared to a 4.3 Chevy or 22RE. If trying to stay on a budget the 22RE just makes sense. And as said above a refreshed 22RE with a small cam and basic upgrades will last a very long time. You can have a well built 22RE for $1500-2000. Change the plugs every 40,000 miles and the oil regularly and it will last him for years. You can use the stock transmission and T case so no extra cost there.

Good luck finding a "good" 1JZ or 2KZ for under $1500. Even then your dropping a "used" motor in. Your going to need a transmission that can handle that kind of power and probably have to swap transfer cases or buy adapters. The maintanance on any turbo motor is going to be much higher. And your not going to be able to go down to the parts store and tell them your year and vehicle to get parts. Plus let's look at gas prices and 87 vs 93 octane on a teens income.

The 4.3 is the only real reasonable choice I see but once again you would probably need to swap transmissions since the W56 probably would not live long with the torque of a 4.3.

So in closing the 22RE is probably the most reasonable option. If you are still set on doing a swap maybe look into the OM617 diesel swaps or somthing along those lines. They tend to be dependable and last forever as long as you are ok with 22R power levels they are a good option.
well i agree and just want to clarify a few things. a 1jz 2jz can be had in that price range with low miles. caution must be taken here as to your jdm engine supplier. i only use dallas jdm. they verify miles/kilometers and do a video compression test so you know what your buying.

a complete swap with engine and trans all wiring and ecu can be had for 2k. i can get 300+ miles per tank in my 86 4runner with a 2jz driving nice VVTI all the way!! the auto trans that comes with the swap can handle 500 hp before needing built. as far as parts go most everything can be had at the parts store for either a 2jzgte supra or lexus is300 w/vvti. the only maintnance i do is oil changes at 5k miles. the jz series is one of the most bulletproof engines available in stock form. use your stock tcase with chromoly shafts and an inchworm #0053 tacoma prerunner adapter to bolt it all up. that adapter is 800 dollars. your other option is to use the output housing from a 96+ t100 a340f and a chain case then you dont need any adapters just some yard parts.

the 4.3 would be a good motor but you WILL blow your cluster gears in the trans, seen it happen more than once, the 4.3 makes a lot of torque for that little trans. an r150 swap would be best but you will need a tcase adapter to retain a gear case. either way a swap will cost some coin. do a 1j that will be cool

keep in mind the 4,3 milage will suck compared to a vvti jz so fuel prices arent going to matter that much.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:45 AM

on the other hand a 4.3 swap can be done over a weekend and drive on monday a jz swap on the other hand for the first one can take a while and a lot more attention must be paid to get everyhting to fit. a 4.3 is pretty much a drop and go swap. if you do a 4.3 consider using the whole chevy drive train as the tcase outputs on the passenger side as well.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:45 AM

you could probably find a donor s10 for a few hundred bucks and have everything you need for the most part
Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with keeping the 22re. Its the best engine for the truck. Compact, highly durable, runs on ˟˟˟˟ty gas, everything already fits and bolts up.

If you really need big power turbo the 22re. This engine can hold a lot.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by the171
I agree with keeping the 22re. Its the best engine for the truck. Compact, highly durable, runs on ˟˟˟˟ty gas, everything already fits and bolts up.

If you really need big power turbo the 22re. This engine can hold a lot.
Thanks for all the good ideas and comments. Correction though. This truck has a 22R, which is carburated....that makes it tricky for forced induction.
The problem with this engine which has served it purpose for 300,000 miles, its extremely bad on gas. Which there has been comments about a teens budget. So, its not going to make much difference on what is swapped in. If anything may improve milage.
Im going to go with a 4.3 or LS base engine. The aftermarket offers so much for these swaps and is done with ease.
I did want to keep it standard, ill just have to see whats out there that can fit and hold up to the torture.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the advice, correction though. This has the 22R..not RE.
Ive decided to ho with the 4.3 or LS base engine. Nothing like the sound of a v8 in a little truck! Even tho a 4.3 is a 6 of course.
I would like to keep it standard, ill just havento see whats out there that can handle the torque, maybe a world class 5spd. Idk....lots of mods to make it all work, but worth it in the end. I look forward to posting the swap progress
Old 09-09-2016, 05:52 AM

Why would you put a 300hp engine into a vehicle for a teenager.
You do realize all the newer v6 camaros and mustangs have 340+ hp....hell, everything now and days has 300+ hp. So why would anyone want to go out and buy a car that has 300 hp for their teen.

Because he is involved in this build and will know what it takes and hopefully have respect for it and not just trash it like other kids that are just handed the keys to a ride.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
you could probably find a donor s10 for a few hundred bucks and have everything you need for the most part
Have a few questions about you jz swap. Tryed messaging you.