86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1994 T100 Turns over but won't start sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 T100 Turns over but won't start sometimes

I'm band new to this forum and this is my first post, I hope I have it in the right spot.

I have a 1994 T100 with over 200,000 miles. Over the last 6 months I've been having problems with it starting. Sometimes I can go out, turn the key, and it turns over and starts right up. Other times I turn the key and it cranks and cranks but won't start. But I can let it roll down the hill, pop the clutch, and it will start. It will run fine after it starts but if I shut it off it may or may not restart next time with out having to push start it. It has never failed to start, it just doesn't always start by turning the key and has to be push started to start it. So I always park it on a hill when I shut it off so I can get it started one way or the other.

I am not sure why it would start by popping the clutch but not by just turning the key. It doesn't seem to be consistent one way or the other. The starter seems to turn it over okay, it doesn't sound any different when it start versus when it doesn't. Outside temperature and fuel level in the gas tank don't seem to factor into how it starts.

Any ideas or things to check out would be appreciated. I use the truck every day on the ranch.